Hillwood

hillwoodtopper55

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first off...it's griper not gripper (that would be someone who grips something) :lol:

No...I'm talking about lilal...I know you can coach.

By the way, what's the biggest difference you found between Wilson Co. and Metro bigchief?

The biggest difference is parental involvement. I had one athlete in Metro that played all four years for the school, scored 1000 points, made All-Metro, had good grades, went on to play in Junior College and an NAIA school and is now on an ABA roster and I have yet to ever see a parent at any game, including his college games. Our cheerleading sponsor walked with him on senior night. When I presented him the ball for his 1000th point, he gave it to his brother in the stands.

In Wilson County, apparently every parent is a former Junior Pro coach and cannot understand why their boy is not a high school star. I mean he averaged 13 points a game in the West Wilson Basketball Association playing for his dad. Why isn't he all-district? Well, probably because he was playing against even worse players than himself and his dad didn't care if he guarded anyone on defense as long as he got his 30 shots a game.

Another big difference is funding. In Metro you are constantly fund-raising just to pay for your NEEDS, not wants. There are no field-houses with weight-rooms just for the football team's use. No indoor practice facilities. Most of the time you practice on a dirt field off to the side because you don't have the money to buy grass seed to fill it back in when you kill it off. You also have to share your facilities. Just this year, Hillwood was not able to practice the kicking game on their game field before a region game because the girls' soccer team was practicing on one end and there was a middle school game scheduled there at 4:30. Two of their three feeder middle schools do not have a field and have to play there as well as the freshman team and girl's soccer team. It is rare for them to get use of the field during the week. ANd heaven forbid that the band has a contest on the field after a rain like at McGavock one year. They had to re-sod and paint it over green to host a play-off game the next week.

Most counties have "quarterback clubs" to raise funds for the teams. The coaches don't have to do any of the work. Of course, they had better win, or the "club" will have the school board replace them. You have to be nice to the "good ol' boys". And when I say win, I mean EVERY year. It doesn't matter if you took the football team to the state semi-finals two years ago. If you are 3-7 now, pack your bags. Like you suddenly forgot how to coach. No you suddenly had half the talent you had before. Like Shadow said, no coach goes out there with the intention of losing. You do the best with what you have. Sometimes you have a lot and other times you don't. The best coaching job I ever did we finished .500. Yeah, we only won half our games, but those kids played WAY over their heads to get to that point.

The point is, my coaching approach was the same way at McGavock when we were 84-30 over my time there as I did to go 7-19 at Mt. Juliet. I learned a lot at both places. I hope my players did as well. Judging by the number of kids I still hear from at both schools I think I did o.k.

Oh yeah, and I make about $13,500 more a year to do the same job in Metro.

Edited by bigchief

The biggest difference is parental involvement. I had one athlete in Metro that played all four years for the school, scored 1000 points, made All-Metro, had good grades, went on to play in Junior College and an NAIA school and is now on an ABA roster and I have yet to ever see a parent at any game, including his college games. Our cheerleading sponsor walked with him on senior night. When I presented him the ball for his 1000th point, he gave it to his brother in the stands.

In Wilson County, apparently every parent is a former Junior Pro coach and cannot understand why their boy is not a high school star. I mean he averaged 13 points a game in the West Wilson Basketball Association playing for his dad. Why isn't he all-district? Well, probably because he was playing against even worse players than himself and his dad didn't care if he guarded anyone on defense as long as he got his 30 shots a game.

Another big difference is funding. In Metro you are constantly fund-raising just to pay for your NEEDS, not wants. There are no field-houses with weight-rooms just for the football team's use. No indoor practice facilities. Most of the time you practice on a dirt field off to the side because you don't have the money to buy grass seed to fill it back in when you kill it off. You also have to share your facilities. Just this year, Hillwood was not able to practice the kicking game on their game field before a region game because the girls' soccer team was practicing on one end and there was a middle school game scheduled there at 4:30. Two of their three feeder middle schools do not have a field and have to play there as well as the freshman team and girl's soccer team. It is rare for them to get use of the field during the week. ANd heaven forbid that the band has a contest on the field after a rain like at McGavock one year. They had to re-sod and paint it over green to host a play-off game the next week.

Most counties have "quarterback clubs" to raise funds for the teams. The coaches don't have to do any of the work. Of course, they had better win, or the "club" will have the school board replace them. You have to be nice to the "good ol' boys". And when I say win, I mean EVERY year. It doesn't matter if you took the football team to the state semi-finals two years ago. If you are 3-7 now, pack your bags. Like you suddenly forgot how to coach. No you suddenly had half the talent you had before. Like Shadow said, no coach goes out there with the intention of losing. You do the best with what you have. Sometimes you have a lot and other times you don't. The best coaching job I ever did we finished .500. Yeah, we only won half our games, but those kids played WAY over their heads to get to that point.

The point is, my coaching approach was the same way at McGavock when we were 84-30 over my time there as I did to go 7-19 at Mt. Juliet. I learned a lot at both places. I hope my players did as well. Judging by the number of kids I still hear from at both schools I think I did o.k.

For future reference...I'm looking for a brief answer. I didn't mean for you to kill a period answering me. :lol: Now go teach something for God's sake.

OK you metro cretins.

Yes, but i wanted to really teach and coach.

It's MOONWINX

You should not have quit.

You deserved to be fired.

Mr. spellcheck , no change.

What the he11 does this mean...did I not get the code breaking memo?

Let's talk football then. What Metro teams are well-coached and play with alot of heart. Any under-achievers. Any over-achievers?

I think they are all, at least, pretty well coached...Hillsboro's probably the high end...Stratford seems to have underachieved a little, but that is a tough spot for a very young guy to be in. To me the biggest difference in Metro is that every staff has 1 or 2 (maybe 3) good assistants and the rest are just supplement takers, and you can equate a good staff to success. It's hard to get rid of a guy if he's not pulling his weight in Metro (not that way elsewhere). From the staffs I know: Hillsboro has several good assistants...Hunters Lane has 2 good ones...Antioch has 2 or 3 good ones (but I don't know all of those guys)...Pearl-Cohn has a couple (don't know them all)...McGavock has several good ones...you can almost look around and see that the more good assistants a head coach has, the more successful he will be. Continuity is important too. Look how long Ron has had the core of his staff together. It shows. Your thoughts?