Hillwood

hillwoodtopper55

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know coaching is not as much fun as it used to be. When I first started kids worked harder, Trusted coaches more, respected the team more, alot now just play for themselves and that is it. When I try to push kids to get better they have some excuse and when that does not work they get upset, which I could care less. I just want to go coach some kids that will buy what is being sold and return to the good ole days.

I understand that I need to enter this thread with caution, since I don't know everyone and everyone doesn't know me. But I think there are two ways to look at it, and we have look at both.

Some people can't teach and coach in Metro. Period. There is a certain type of student that will always be present in the inner city environment that will never change and there are some teachers who have a hard time dealing with that student athlete. It is always amazing to me to hear people from outside the system say things like "If I had that much talent, we'd never lose". Those people don't get it. It's not that easy. These kids want everything now. They have a difficult time with delaying gratification and working hard to a future goal.

(For all people who didn't go to the Rudy Payne workshop, her book is dead on. For those of you who did go and did nothing but complain, get the book out and read it. It will help you understand all of the issues these poverty kids come to school with)

Some people can't coach in the suburbs, either. There is a lot of politicing that goes on and some people struggle with the bs. The kids are great, but the adminstration and parents can be a handfull. The athletes are willing to work for a common goal and sacrifice their individual wants, but often their parents can't. It's a different problem that has to be dealt with in an entirely different manner.

In the 10 years I've been in Metro, the teams I've been associated with have dealt with exactly 3 problem parents. Each one was easily handled and didn't affect the team. I imagine that number is much higher in the surrounding counties.

There are always some coaches who get wooed to Metro by the money and the talent and then can't handle the classroom or the coaching. I am really interested to see how Antioch's new basketball coach deals with his new team. I am sure he is a good coach, as he appeared to show in Rhea County. But, as all of us know, Antioch isn't Rhea County.

Edited by Metroman

I understand that I need to enter this thread with caution, since I don't know everyone and everyone doesn't know me. But I think there are two ways to look at it, and we have look at both.

Some people can't teach and coach in Metro. Period. There is a certain type of student that will always be present in the inner city environment that will never change and there are some teachers who have a hard time dealing with that student athlete. It is always amazing to me to hear people from outside the system say things like "If I had that much talent, we'd never lose". Those people don't get it. It's not that easy. These kids want everything now. They have a difficult time with delaying gratification and working hard to a future goal.

(For all people who didn't go to the Rudy Payne workshop, her book is dead on. For those of you who did go and did nothing but complain, get the book out and read it. It will help you understand all of the issues these poverty kids come to school with)

Some people can't coach in the suburbs, either. There is a lot of politicing that goes on and some people struggle with the bs. The kids are great, but the adminstration and parents can be a handfull. The athletes are willing to work for a common goal and sacrifice their individual wants, but often their parents can't. It's a different problem that has to be dealt with in an entirely different manner.

In the 10 years I've been in Metro, the teams I've been associated with have dealt with exactly 3 problem parents. Each one was easily handled and didn't affect the team. I imagine that number is much higher in the surrounding counties.

There are always some coaches who get wooed to Metro by the money and the talent and then can't handle the classroom or the coaching. I am really interested to see how Antioch's new basketball coach deals with his new team. I am sure he is a good coach, as he appeared to show in Rhea County. But, as all of us know, Antioch isn't Rhea County.

Very well said...there is a good side and a bad side to most everything in life...you nailed this one dead on.