Are You Blind Ref ?

MO$$$$

referees do not win or lose games. But some of them are definitely blinder than others, like the call at WH GB where the GB receiver threw up his hands to the ref, and out comes the flag, like, who called that flag the ref or the GB player?

Review of tape clearly showed no penalty on the play. We sure don't blame a loss on that one call, but it's pretty grotesque that a player can throw up his arms in distress and get a sympathy flag from a ref across the field.

I wouldn't do that job for 20 times what they are paid.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its a thankless job and is very difficult, but everyone will probably admit that the quality all around has dropped drasticly in the past 5 years or so. Some are good but some are who act like they just want to get their money and get the game over with no matter what happens. Just my opinion!

Edited by robjim

if u wanted to see a bad job of the zebras you shoulda seen the lexington vs creekwood game.. one of the officials was too concerned about if the lhs players were standing inside the box( which he stopped two kickoffs to tell them to back up when they were inside the box) to call late hits.. i was seriously scared for the lhs qb smith. he was getting killed after the plays were over .. at least three of the late hits came when they play was over and he was out of bounds on the ground still getin hit. if u've ever seen the qb he is like 5'4 150lbs.. and to be gettin hit by the defense during the play is hard enough but to get hit afterwards is a lil much. and apparently they had a hard time remembering when the clock was to be stopped and started.

if u wanted to see a bad job of the zebras you shoulda seen the lexington vs creekwood game.. one of the officials was too concerned about if the lhs players were standing inside the box( which he stopped two kickoffs to tell them to back up when they were inside the box) to call late hits.. i was seriously scared for the lhs qb smith. he was getting killed after the plays were over .. at least three of the late hits came when they play was over and he was out of bounds on the ground still getin hit. if u've ever seen the qb he is like 5'4 150lbs.. and to be gettin hit by the defense during the play is hard enough but to get hit afterwards is a lil much. and apparently they had a hard time remembering when the clock was to be stopped and started.

it was just as bad for both sides lex #52 should have been thrown out how about the missed blocking in the back call on the last drive that was missed you scored if call made you would have kicked because it was 4 and 3 with call made it would have been 4 and long but you have a very good team and all in all that was a very good game it would have been much better with a younger ref crew (hade to hold up play 4 times to get refs in place) and they yelled at kids too much but bad calls were made on both teams it is a shame when a game that big has refs that are that bad

I just love this topic.....being an official myself I see the ignorance of the fans AND many, many coaches. Just to fire a shot back at you ref bashers, it amazes me how so few of you who have paid your $5-$7 to sit in the stands actually know and understand the rules of the game. Furthermore, so many coaches do not know the rules....it is simply amazing. Saturday/Sunday rules are sooooo different in many respects from the high school game, but you can't explain that to "Bubba, the official critic". We do miss calls from time to time, and may not call a penalty if it is not at the point of attack and has no impact on the play. You folks pay your money to watch the kids play, not to watch the refs throw flags on every play. When a call is made, I would say that 95-98% of the time it was there and is the correct call.

With all of that said.....I sure am glad that the "rules" are not handed out with the tickets at the gate because everyone would be the expert then wouldn't they?

I just love this topic.....being an official myself I see the ignorance of the fans AND many, many coaches. Just to fire a shot back at you ref bashers, it amazes me how so few of you who have paid your $5-$7 to sit in the stands actually know and understand the rules of the game. Furthermore, so many coaches do not know the rules....it is simply amazing. Saturday/Sunday rules are sooooo different in many respects from the high school game, but you can't explain that to "Bubba, the official critic". We do miss calls from time to time, and may not call a penalty if it is not at the point of attack and has no impact on the play. You folks pay your money to watch the kids play, not to watch the refs throw flags on every play. When a call is made, I would say that 95-98% of the time it was there and is the correct call.

With all of that said.....I sure am glad that the "rules" are not handed out with the tickets at the gate because everyone would be the expert then wouldn't they?

I have said many times that I am glad someone wants to ref games because I couldn't. Most all do a great job or at least as best they can. However that doesn't mean they are above being critiqed. The part the guy referenced above in the Lex-Creekwood game about the ref telling the players to back up was uncalled for the second time. The first was ok as some were past the line but the second time he stopped a kickoff to move Lex back no one moved, because no one had to. It was obvious he didn't look to see if anyone was beyond the line, so why blow the whistle for it? That made it look like he had a bias whether he did or not.

Well, clipping and blocks to the back are pretty reliable as illegal. But I confess, as my Sr. son says "Mom, what you really REALLY know about football is about as much as I know about being a woman". These are terms even I can understand, but he still has after the game talks with me anyway in the hopes that by the time my 9 year old is in HS I will no longer be a total embarassment.

I am still trying to understand what the heck a slot back is. As opposed to a tight end, they kind of do the same thing so why the fancy names?

So I'm an ignoramus. But the pass interference call against Smith was bogus Friday night, how much football genius do you have to be that if the defender gets to the player at the same time as the ball and hits only ball to know that was good defense and no call.

Besides, I have one of those fold up cheat sheets I at least know what the calls mean when you make them, I'm trying!

Being an ex-coach and an exofficial,,,,,,,YOU have to know that one of the biggest problems in Tenn football is officials are "out of position" too many plays. I have heard too many officials carry "issues" with schools and a coach who is no longer there. Granted there are good ones....but the quality has sunk dramatically. Too many "rabbit ears", too much flag happy, and too much rules enforced. Officials call a game not control it....when no one notices the officiating crew very much...they are doing a good job. My last game was a middle school championship game in Middle Tn.... With two minutes left in the game and a team was driving down to the opponents 20 yd line, the side judge threw a flag and called holding...he was way out of position and made another ref right in front of the play look like he was incompetent....the call made the offending team's coach go nuts......and the ref who threw the first flag threw another on the coach from across the field......This totally freaked all of the crew out. Needless to say, we couldn't wait to see what he had to say......We got our answer when he shook hands with the coach who was the beneficiary of his calls.....he then told us that he had admired the coach for years and could not stand to see him lose.....wow!

I reported the official to Ronnie Carter and resigned. It was disgusting