Father Ryan Football " Purple Pride"

GREG141

Romper, you have come closer to identifying Ryan`s problem better than anyone who has written in these threads. The fact is, is that Ryan is going to continue to get the majority of their students from the Catholic Elementary/Middle schools. They simply do not have the financial resources to fund a lot of Non-Catholic scholarships. I think currently the non Catholic -population at Ryan is less than 10% whereas it is around 40% at Pope John Paul. Geographically, JPII has an advantage in that there are not that many private school options in the Sumner County area. Ryan, on the other hand is surrounded by quality private school options that are throwing out all kinds of financial aid packages to deserving student athletes.

I think our football teams will ebb and flow as the Parochial teams feed good and not so good athletes each year. We truly are the only school in D-II AAA that are in this unique situation. Christian Brothers in Memphis is really more aligned with the other 6 schools as they are not affiliated with the Catholic Diocese.

We must take what we get each year, coach them up to compete against our peer D-II brethern and see what happens.

I believe we have a quality head football coach who will eventually get his assistant coaches in place and also get a new stadium.

I`m optimistic that we can get to the point that we can hold our own with our opponents and become a more competitive member of D-II AAA

Besides, everybody locally likes to play us because we always bring a big gate. As bad as we have been in the past five years in football, I have yet to see any team locally outdraw our crowd. We have tremendous support.

The previous two posts must rank in the top tier of insightful, lucid and well though out posts I have seen. Ole Dad, I hope you approve of the thread ;)

Edited by GREG141

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be sure to ask your permission before I participate in any other threads because your are the all seeing, all knowing. Rightttttttttt

Ole Dad

The respect the players have for their coach is what matters. I'm sure no one doubts that Ryan players want to win and they felt confident after doing so against two 5A teams this year. They were certainly better this year with what seemed to be much more leadership from their seniors, something that has not existed in the past couple years under Jemison. They have a lot of athletes and don't lose much size next year. The team will have a lot of seniors next year. I expect them to make the playoffs at the very least.

OleDad doesn't belong in the D2 discussions. Too much uranium in yall's water must make you the way you are.

So what you guys are saying is the non-parochial school athletes are better than parochial school athletes? Tate is from a parochial school and he is doing pretty well.

Although Ryan's population is limited to a degree, it is still diverse. There are plenty of students from non-parochial schools. Though the parochial outnumbers them by a lot, they are there, and they contribute well.

frhs2140, to answer your question, the senior class has the most confidence in their ability than any other class that has come through for a while. Freshman year we knew we were gonna be the class that turned things around. We are prepared to do this, and we have the leadership to do it. Now that we have a strong minded coach, a senior class with plenty of leadership, and junior and sophmore classes with amazing talent, it would be a shame if we didnt make playoffs. But I have hope that we will, we are definitley gonna be the suprise team next year. Size on the team is no longer a problem. Speed might, but I think we got a lot of fast guys. Losing a player like Hausman is hard, but we got a lot of players who learned from him and will be just as good as him. Ill leave this with a verse from a loved book, "The crownless shall again be king".

So what you guys are saying is the non-parochial school athletes are better than parochial school athletes? Tate is from a parochial school and he is doing pretty well.

Although Ryan's population is limited to a degree, it is still diverse. There are plenty of students from non-parochial schools. Though the parochial outnumbers them by a lot, they are there, and they contribute well.

frhs2140, to answer your question, the senior class has the most confidence in their ability than any other class that has come through for a while. Freshman year we knew we were gonna be the class that turned things around. We are prepared to do this, and we have the leadership to do it. Now that we have a strong minded coach, a senior class with plenty of leadership, and junior and sophmore classes with amazing talent, it would be a shame if we didnt make playoffs. But I have hope that we will, we are definitley gonna be the suprise team next year. Size on the team is no longer a problem. Speed might, but I think we got a lot of fast guys. Losing a player like Hausman is hard, but we got a lot of players who learned from him and will be just as good as him. Ill leave this with a verse from a loved book, "The crownless shall again be king".

I laugh at you and your obsurd predictions

I didn't say non-parochial kids are better...I'm just saying that it is a limited pool. If they could get the best parochial kids AND the best non-parochials they would be better off. There are plenty of guys at Vandy who could play for other SEC teams, but they don't get some guys who would play there because of grades. FR does not get some kids who might go there because they aren't Catholic.

I laugh at you and your obsurd predictions

And I laugh at you. Your knowledge of football is limited to your knowledge of all things, which is quite small. GTFO NEWB.

I didn't say non-parochial kids are better...I'm just saying that it is a limited pool. If they could get the best parochial kids AND the best non-parochials they would be better off. There are plenty of guys at Vandy who could play for other SEC teams, but they don't get some guys who would play there because of grades. FR does not get some kids who might go there because they aren't Catholic.

We do try to get more non-parochial kids in. We accept Catholic kids from everywhere, so must people who go to FRHS are Catholics that went to a public school. Its tough for us to expand our acceptants with so many schools that are in Middle Tennessee. But we do a darn good job of making good athletes that come to Ryan, all sports considered.

Apparently JPII is only as good as Golden Tate. Many Father Ryan Supporters fail to recognize that Brian Sneed scored as many touchdowns as they did in that game. People should recognize that although JPII has yet to defeat the likes of MBA, BA, McCallie, MUS or Baylor it should be noted that JPII has handled the schools of around its size very well.

Apparently JPII is only as good as Golden Tate. Many Father Ryan Supporters fail to recognize that Brian Sneed scored as many touchdowns as they did in that game. People should recognize that although JPII has yet to defeat the likes of MBA, BA, McCallie, MUS or Baylor it should be noted that JPII has handled the schools of around its size very well.

This post is not about jp2, tate, it is about the direction of the FRHS football team, lets stay on point.

FRHS football should get better, now that things have settled down coaching-wise. They have to pick their shots; getting at the next team closest to them in the rankings.

Talent, though, will be an issue going forward. Competition is fiercer now than in the past, with JPII taking talent from the northside, and the increase in success WillCo teams are having in the south are shrinking the pool that Ryan and others used to pick from.

Good luck to the Irish in the coming years.

Golden Tate went one year to Saint Joseph (8th grade). He attended Heighland Heights before that.