Does TSSAA keep all the Gate at the Playoff Games?

rigger101

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of excellent points made above. First TSSAA is a Co-op. That is to say that the member schools own and ultimately manage it. So when we talk badly about them we are talking badly about ourselves.

Second, the costs to run TSSAA are what they are! I'm sure the member schools do a thorough job of comparing salaries and ratios of number of employees per student athlete as well as referree costs and insurance premiums.

How those costs are funded is really immaterial to the school. Where people get upset is if the booster club has worked out some deal with the school on gate money proceeds going to fund "special things for football" and that's when people get disappointed!

I will say that both Vanderbilt and MTSU appear and I stress the word appear ...to me to be taking advantage of the TSSAA by charging what they do rather than donating the use of the facilities and all costs associated with managing the facilities during the two weekends!!

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Getting away from football playoff gates but staying on the topics of TSSAA and money ....

*** I understand the TSSAA is one the most profitable high school athletic organizations in the country (ranked in the top five of all states);

*** A basketball coach told me that it is more profitable for his school if his basketball team makes the sub-state and then loses rather than winning and paying expenses at state.

Just a couple of things I heard.

Oh, I have no probems with profits. I'm a capitalist through and through. :thumb:

Getting away from football playoff gates but staying on the topics of TSSAA and money ....

*** I understand the TSSAA is one the most profitable high school athletic organizations in the country (ranked in the top five of all states);

*** A basketball coach told me that it is more profitable for his school if his basketball team makes the sub-state and then loses rather than winning and paying expenses at state.

Just a couple of things I heard.

Oh, I have no probems with profits. I'm a capitalist through and through. :thumb:

That statement sounds strange, but it is very true. The state picks up the tab (hotel) for (I believe) the semi final teams in basketball. Teams pay there own way for the 1st round. Not to mention the food and other expenses. A team going to the state basketball and staying should expect to have at least $5,000 for it if you do it right!

On a message board people can (and do) put up anything. Where did you hear this statement? If you're going to put something up like this at least tell the board the source. Where is this ranking? Who provided the ranking? What was the criteria? Where is your research?

If you have information like this, please supply it to the National Federation of H.S., because you are onto information that they can't get. There has been lately a national study done on high school associations - maybe this is the result. If TSSAA is in top 5 in profits, then just maybe it is because they are one of the best run associations in the nation.

And TSSAA is non-profit organization - so if they do make money, then it has to be put back into the association which in turn benefits all its members. So what is your point?

As has been mentioned earlier. If you don't like the way the TSSAA is operated, if you don't like the way money is spent, if you don't like the rules - then talk to your local board member or the AD at a school. It is the schools that make the rules and financial decisions -- TSSAA office only implements what THEY want.

If TSSAA is one of the top five of all states in profits - then there are a lot of state associations operating in the red.

Edited by yellowdog

If my school's annual dues are going toward his salary, we would at least like to know what it is.

His salary is set by the Board of Control. Ask your school's AD to ask his board member what the salary is. It is that simple. Don't try to imply that someone is trying to hide that information.

Whatever his salary is, is not enough anyway. The man works many hours a day for six or seven days a week. I think the more appropriate term is "off duty but on call". The amount of complaints from parents who want to bend the rules to get their kid to play ball is staggering. Putting on all the state tournaments is a huge loigistical issue, answering media calls all day is time consuming, running the TSSAA office is huge, understanding all the medical and legal issues is a full time job, making sure that policy set by the Board is followed, etc.

If you had to live with complaints all day every day it would beat you down -- He is worth whatever he is paid and then some.

If the TSSAA is a member owned/run organization, why aren't the staff salaries made public? Ronnie Carter's salary is the best kept secret in the history of mankind.

Mr. Carter who has the best cush job in the state, salray must be public information, but try finding it! I have looked for years online, where everything else is posted and I can't find it. He also has an expence account and other bennies. 50% to the T$$AA is way too much. The host school and vistors should get a great deal more in terms of the gate.

But some of the small schools may only draw say 1500 people while teams like Maryville, Oak Ridge and a few others around my area my get 10000 paying heads during some play-off games. the 25-25-50 split does help pay the same level of officals at the small schools as at the larger ones. so this cost split may be justified.

One thing for sure I would make the games more centraly located and play the games on real turf, the T$$AA gets big money for playing the games at MTSU and nothing is purchased by the T$$AA for the kids who play in the games unless it is bought by the boosters. That is really sad!