Gary Rankin

Sorry Riverdale guys but Rankin is probably looking towards the end of his PUBLIC SCHOOL career at least in Tennessee. Gallatin went through the same type thing with Short as has been mentioned. One of the main reasons Short left Gallatin had something to do with how your retirement is decided. I think it's based on the last couple of years of income. Rankin can probably "retire" and double dip with a private school. I don't know if this varies from county to county or if it is statewide. Unless I'm bad wrong that is why Coach Short became principal at Portland. You Panther fans hate hearing this but strange coincidence what happened to that program after he came. At the very least it sure helps to have admin that supports the athletics.

As far as Rankin goes, forget the recruiting accusations, the arrogance accusations, the man can flat coach a football team. Look at my woeful Vols...they are absolutely loaded with talent and can't get it together. Year in and year out Rankin and his staff get the most out of their players and do a phenominal job of developing the talent that have. How many D1 players have gone through that program? Having grown up in Gallatin during the glory days I have to be jealous but Riverdale gets it done.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rankin is a very good coach and his success has helped his "recruiting" efforts to keep the talent level high. That's not a slam on him at all, but kids gravitate to successful programs and Rankin has certainly built that at Riverdale. What's sold me on Rankin is that the last few teams he has had pale in comparison to some of the teams in the mid-1990's. He doesn't have a Fernando Bryant, Eric Locke, Antron Peebles, or Gerald Griffin out there anymore. But he can win with a lot of mid-tier talent. The guy knows how to put a team together. To use a basketball comparison, he may not be a Larry Brown in X's and O's, but he can maximize the performance of star laden teams like Phil Jackson. I've heard some rumors about the North Cobb job and Rankin, but he's not the only coach in Middle Tennessee being mentioned.

Can anyone give me what schools Rankin coached at and what years? Riverdale, Smith Co., and Warren Co. are 3 schools I have heard of him coaching at. Are those correct? Any more?

Also I have always wondered about the 2 Riverdale coaches prior to Rankin. Phil Watts and Dean Fisher. Are they coaching anywhere now or are they retired?

Can anyone give me what schools Rankin coached at and what years? Riverdale, Smith Co., and Warren Co. are 3 schools I have heard of him coaching at. Are those correct? Any more?

Also I have always wondered about the 2 Riverdale coaches prior to Rankin. Phil Watts and Dean Fisher. Are they coaching anywhere now or are they retired?

My old football coach dean fisher has retired actuall several years ago at least in 97 and very well could have been sooner he retireda s a teacher at the school and did not move on to any other school

i do not know about watts

Wont have to worry about that because Middle wont even think of Rankin as a candidate. If Rankin really wants to go the college route, hes gonna have to work his way up first.............

MTSU wont even think about Rankin? I'm sure they are and that they already have. I guess you're meaning he would have to work his way up as an assistant. But to say Middle Tennessee was not looking at him to even be a head coach is ignorant, especially since the new AD Chris Massaro has already hired high school girls basketball legend, Coach Rick Insell.