CENTRAL BOBCATS @ MARYVILLE REBELS

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched quite a few of these games since 2000, althought this year's regular season installment was only on TV. Central has the talent, Maryville has been better coached. Not a shot at Central, very few high school teams are coached better than Maryville.

That said, Central has had many chances to win in this series and comes up short each time. Something tells me it all changes this time, even with the game at Maryville. Going with the gut and saying Central in a close one......23-21.

I have that strange feeling that this will actually be a high scoring game. I think both teams will score over 25 pts. apiece.....of course the Red Rebels will score more tha 35 pts.

Dress warm, eat some carbos before you leave the house and buy one of the last programs available when you come in the gate :)

Reguards to the Board (Hiya Coacht!...gonna come to this one?)

Mapp

You guys are right when you’re talking COLD! That’s OK it keeps the light weights at the house! Hope Central brings a full house.

My take is If Maryville's comes out ready to put a stamp on the season I say Maryville rolls. Everyone always wants to say the other team has more talent than Maryville does and Maryville wins with the coaching. Well you have to have discipline and fundamentals and that begins with coaching. But a kid has to be coach able and a mindset to believe if he gets his assignment right every play, the team is successful. Maryville is fundamentally sound because it matters not how big, fast or how much natural talent you have, sound fundamentals with execution wins every time.

Maryville's home field is a tough place to play, like it's been about 54 games or something like that since the Rebels have lost in front of the home crowd.

It will be cold and uncomfortable, and the discipline and fundamentals of a team will win most of the time.

It's a big game and who better than Maryville to pick in the big game.

I think Maryville's Defense is prepared to post another shutout vs. a good team.

Central has a few injuries that may hinder them, but I doubt it. Maryville lost one of the best LB’s in the state in Lawhan and DE Wood is questionable, so the injury scales are even in my book.

Maryville 24 Central 7

I think there are some psychological factors at play in this game:

1. Mr. Helton's injury: How bad is it? Could this be misinformation designed as a smokescreen? Could the Rebels soften their intensity thinking their opponent to be crippled? Could the Cats be like a wild animal backed into a corner and most dangerous when injured? We'll see.

2. The History: MHS knows they can win. CHS thinks they can. That's a big deal.

3. The hype: When people pick against the Rebels they come out with something to prove. I'll cite the Alcoa game this year. Also the first half of the first Central game. Lots of people are picking against the Rebs.

4: The MO: Momentum is a funny thing. MHS learned this season that if you don't put an opponent away it could cost you your unblemished record. They will play decisively in this matchup so as not to allow the tide to revert back to their opponent.

Go Red Rebels!

After reading some of the predicted scores, I wonder if most people have forgotten what kind of defense is going to be on both sides of the ball. The reg. season game had 4 TD's scored by 4 BIG plays that were results from mistakes by one person on the field. This late in the season those mistakes are a lot less likely to happen. In the regular season game, Maryville brought their A game on both sides of the ball. Central brought an A defense but their offense was B/B- at best. Central's defense is a little bit better now that Longworth is back and their offense has definitely improved since that game. I don't know how much Maryville has improved since then, but these two teams are as evenly matched as you could get. It will be a low scoring game that is probably decided by another FG. (I'm still having trouble getting over that last kick :ph34r: )

Central did get both their scores by big-play defense (a fumble & a pick). But Maryville's wasn't by a mistake of one person. Were they?

Central's offense didn't score in the game. So, Maryville, at Central, scored 17 with the offense and the defense allowed zero.

The 2nd game between these two will likely be closer but I don't see the "evenly matched" comparison from that 1st game.

They weren't evenly matched during the first game- offensively. I believe that with the improvement of Central on that side of the ball that it is now more evenly matched.

As far as the mistakes I was talking about- Maryville scored first on Tank's 50 yard (or so) run. The mistake was that Central's end lost the contain. The 2nd score was on a long pass (I think) and the mistake was the DB. The point I was trying to make was that neither side drove the ball real well all night (except the Maryville drive that ended in the interception runback) due to the defenses of both schools. I think that we will see more of the same in a very close game.