Wilson Cates

swipper

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a wonderful job this year. Very exciting to watch. You don't see many QB's with his intensity on defense. Not to be negative, but there is no way he will play QB at a D-1 school. Matter of fact he will not play at a D-1. Could have a chance contributing at a D-1AA on the devensive side of the ball. Not saying he isn't good enough athletically, but let's all be serious, the big schools don't even look at kids any more unless they fit that perfect size model. I don't agree with that, but it is true. Rarely will a school take a chance on a undersized kid. Great season Cates. At times he single handedly kept his team going this year.

Did a wonderful job this year. Very exciting to watch. You don't see many QB's with his intensity on defense. Not to be negative, but there is no way he will play QB at a D-1 school. Matter of fact he will not play at a D-1. Could have a chance contributing at a D-1AA on the devensive side of the ball. Not saying he isn't good enough athletically, but let's all be serious, the big schools don't even look at kids any more unless they fit that perfect size model. I don't agree with that, but it is true. Rarely will a school take a chance on a undersized kid. Great season Cates. At times he single handedly kept his team going this year.

I would have to agree on most of what you said but What about Bill Bates of UT and Cowboy fame. He was not that big of a player and he had a good career in the pros. Used mostly on special teams and nickel defenses. And I believe Cates is a lot more athletic than him. I know he is faster and quicker but Bates played the game with reckless abandon. Bates will always be remembered for being steam rolled by Hershel Walker in his college debut against Tenn.

I think Cates will be a good college player if given the opportunity. I know that he will give everything he has to become the best he can be. Vandy would be a good situation for him IMO. :thumb:

Did anyone see the NewsChannel5 in Nashville profile of Cates by Eric Yutzy on the Sunday Sports Central last night?

The focus of the piece was on Cates being a team player, and how unselfish he was, even ending the interview early from the field to make sure he was in the photo with his teammates.

It was a great piece. Cates was quoted as saying he has offers from Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Tennessee Tech, Harvard, Princeton and possibly two to three other schools.

Yutzy ended the piece by saying there is a possibility that Cates will not play college football at all, instead choosing to go to medical school and be a doctor. If he does go to college and play football, Yutzy said it will be in Business.