Maryville @ Morristown West

FBEmeritus

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF, not when. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Melrose or Hillsboro await the winner of Friday's game. Either wuld be any uphill battel for MoWest or Maryville.

I did a scouting report on Mo West (link below). The running game is tough. The QB is competent and doesn't make many mistakes with his few passing reps (65 attempts all year).

The dfense has 3 guys with over 5 sacks on the year. One kid has 14 on the year. The linebackers are what Mo Wests defense is known for and their expected to be physical and capable.

Should be a good game. I say Rebels by 14.

Edited by Rebel Nation

who will maryville play when they win

Just a quick summary of this thread so far:

MWest has went undefeated in the weakest regions, 1 and 2. This would say logically the weakest players, coaches and program as a sum total.

MWest backs are big but slow and fail to hit the holes with any power.

Maryville is afraid of MWest (The funniest award goes here)

Maryville has derailed numerous teams that are bigger, faster and stronger than MWest this season.

MWest will try to convince the tssaa to move the game to Saturday to help beat Maryville buy throwing off their internal team clock.

If the above doesn't happen, Maryville will try to convince the tssaa to move the 4A Championship game to Friday for the same reason as above.

All in good fun and jest!! Sorry FBE! Seriously, I believe the team that can control the ball offensively for the longest period of time will have the best shot of a victory. This is the way it should be, 2 undefeated teams playing for the trip.

BTW, this MWest team isn't THAT big!

TrojanE, Good post and I agree I don't think anyone is scared. No question MW was the best team over those week regions to the east so that is not saying to much. No disrespect meant, but simply put those regions are way down this year. Greenville normally tough, down. TN HI down & rebuilding. Elizabethton has had most of the success years past next to MW can't kick it into gear. Who else gets near a 8 win season everyyear?

I don't agree it will bea high scoring game because Maryville won't let MW score to many points. maryville's Average yeild is a mear 10 per contest. Maryville has given up only 131 total and 68 have come in the 4th qtr, when many of the starters are resting. That means for the first three qtrs Maryville's Defence has only allowed 4.8 points over 13 games and vs. 4-5 teams many would agree are better than MW. MW has only given up 166 or 12.8 per contest themselves but during the first three qtrs MW has given up 95 pts or 7.3 per. That is half of Maryville's yeild. MW has shown to be tough in the 4th Qtr only giving up 18 all year but does that mean the other teams gave up or does it mean MW has played its starters late to preserve the win?

I am not saying MW is weak but they have clearly not had the road Maryville has had and I am sure Knox Central, Halls, Powell and maybe one or two others in Region 3 and 4 could also handly defeat MoreWest. More later.

Nice reply! I only have one problem...your point that "4-5 teams many would agree are better than MW". Who would agree? Knox. area fans? I don't think you can find many in this area that think that! There's not a doubt in my mind that MW could have won District 3. Like I said, District 3 was tough, but how do you determine those 4-5 teams are better than MW? Because we played Knox West so close? Valid point! I know one thing, most MW fans hated some of the games on our schedule because we knew going in it was going to be a 40+ blowout. Its hard to get up for those games. I truly think Knox West caught us by surprise because they had just lost the week before to either Halls or Powell I believe and that made their 2nd loss, aside from being a nonconference game. Then on top of that we had our big cross-town rival game with M. East the next week. Not many people are giving MW much of a chance it seems. I also know most posters are from K-town. We got the same response for TN. High and Sullivan South!

You know as well as I, you can't go by the past scores and points given up, because they are misleading. Most games on both sides were lopesided. Makes me think, possibly, that District 3 might not have been as tough as everyone thought. Could that be a possibility? Naw, it probably was!!!!!!!!!!!!

I expect a tough game. Morristown West represents the last "two" teams to beat us. Regular season 01 and playoffs two years ago. The game is on the road. If these factors don't get your attention nothing will. I know that Coach Quarles and his staff and the players are not expecting anything to be easy about this game. I don't go in for predictions much. I just hope we execute on both sides like we have for most of the season. If we do I feel we have a good chance to advance.

Mo-west... they finally got that undefeated regular season after maryville was removed from their schedule this year.. I'd like to take this time to give them a little congrats on that, they've been waiting a long time. But the regular season has been and gone and the post-season is almost to it's conclusion. I think the only hope that mowest has this coming friday/saturday is to hold on to the football. Their only prayer is to control the clock and try to get 1st downs on the ground and keep maryville's offense off the field. However, that might happen for a drive or two, but not the entire game. Maryville's defense is much faster than the mowest backs and the quote "The bigger they are the harder they fall" will certainly come into play. Maryville will live up to their reputation and "swarm" to the ball to bring down the backs of mowest. I would bet mowest is praying for another hurricane but i dont even think rita can help them enough in this one. Maryville will only lose this one if they do it to themselves.

Maryville 35

Mo West 14

Enuf BS, lets let the kids bring it Friday night. No, No wait,,,, I need some more fuel for Mo-West, keep talking Maryville; we do our talking on the FIELD! I guess if ya'll are the King on the jungle, and it hard to be humble, then that makes us the thorn in your paw. We can live with that, and no need for crying about the game being on sat. Both teams had to deal with that. :D GO! MO-WEST be the chink in the armor!

You have did it so well in the past. Mo-WEST by 3, Maryville crying about the color of the grass or something.

TrojanE;

Good response and fair enough. I like to look at numbers you may have noticed, after all everyone says MW’s Ewing is the real deal. Well I think he is just look at his numbers. I believe he is a great HS RB based upon previous performance numbers. To predict which team I think is going to win I look at the following information on Massey Ratings. Maryville is currently #1 in the state of TN, all classes. I don’t think Maryville is but this group of people do. Then you have #2 Alcoa, #7 Knox Cent, # 19 Powell, # 31 Halls, #32 William Blount then at #33 Morristown West. Five of those ranked teams were on Maryville’s schedule and Maryville beat everyone of them handily! Further #6 Oak Ridge and #21 Kingsport DB were bested during the pre season. I don not think Alcoa is #2 because the other teams that I watch Maryville dismantle were tougher than Alcoa was. So Maybe the Massey Rankings mean nothing, but they are respected around the sports world.

Murphy Fair is pretty respected and he has Maryville #1 and MWest at #2 in 4A

The Elmo Branam Computer Ratings have Maryville #1 in the state and MW at #26.

Sonney Moore thinks in 4A Maryville is on top and Knox Central is #4 and MWest #5.

Prior to the play-offs earl Nall had Maryville #1 and MWest #10 in 4A.

The Sports Report Ranking System has Maryville at #1, Knox Central #2 then MWest at #3 with Powell #5.

Now Polls are nice to look at but I don’t think they tell the tail but if you ask anyone who follows high school football, if Morristown West can beat Maryville this Friday they would tell you no. But there is that any given day thing, and if Maryville does not take care of business, like they failed to do in 03 vs. MWest then me and every pronostgator would be wrong. This year I say Maryville takes care of Business.

By the way how is the field holding up in this rain?