Change of White House mascot

timbdp

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so if we are to make this lady happy, we have to think of something with a more positive image, since the White House Blue Devils is so negative. Here's a few of my suggestions:

The White House Helping Hyenas

The White House Grasshoppers

The White House Shrews

The White House Native Americans (the mascot "Indians" or "Redskins" might offend someone)

The White House Goldfish

The White House Buttercream Gang

Any other suggestions?

If she doesnt like the Blue Devils tell her to move to the other side of 31W.As an alumni, I dont think she has a chance.This was tried at the Middle School level several years ago with no success.Let her present this to us at a QB Club meeting or steak dinner in May.She sure does have a wierd way of coming to the community.Most people would like to make friends.

I think the problem has been taken care of. The newspaper does have a web site, but it does not have the letter archived. I can't find it.

She also posted her email address and phone number in the letter, and according to some people who have called and emailed, they are getting rejected email and her phone was disconnected. Kind of a stupid move on her part if you ask me.

This thing rose up in the mid 1980s and never got through. For those that think the Blue Devil mascot is meant as anything more than a "mascot" they're wrong. White House has long been a strong Christian community and I'm sure will continue to be. I emailed Kris, the website guy who is also the team pastor, and he said he had no problems with it and never has.

The Blue Devil name, from all I have heard, was done to emulate schools like Duke. That's the emphasis, nothing else.

And it has become a part of the town's tradition and history, so how could you change that now?

Someone please inform the woman that the name has NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION, THE BIBLE, or the DEVIL. Instead, it refers to an outfit from France in World War I called the Blue Devils.

http://www.lib.duke.edu/archives/history/why_blue_devil.html

The United States Army also had the 88th Division, which called themselves the FIGHTING BLUE DEVILS. They used a Royal Blue Clover-Leaf as their mascot.

Edited by ELA

Someone please inform the woman that the name has NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION, THE BIBLE, or the DEVIL. Instead, it refers to an outfit from France in World War I called the Blue Devils.

The United States Army also had the 88th Division, which called themselves the FIGHTING BLUE DEVILS. They used a Royal Blue Clover-Leaf as their mascot.

Ela, I understand your team is the Blue Devils..... I see no problem with our mascot..... but yours..... :thumb:

Ela, I understand your team is the Blue Devils..... I see no problem with our mascot..... but yours..... :D

As a coach who has worked at seven schools, everytime I move my wardrobe changes. Right now, I have about 18 different things that say BLUE DEVILS on it. Funny how that works out. :lol:

I did not know that about the US Army. I miss your useless history facts ELA.

All right dandy, since the US army division also has a division called the Blue Devils, I will now leave you alone and assume that White House is named after this division and not the French one. :blink:

I will say this... WHITE HOUSE has one of the finest football traditions in TN and no one should try to mess with their formula for success!

If their mascot is the Tucan (sp?) bird off the fruitloop box, leave it alone! :P

Solomon, as a history teacher, you always get dumb, useless facts from someone like me! :P

The Duke Blue Devils took their name from the French ski commando group by the same name. It is believed Lebanon High went the same route in picking up thier nickname so many years ago. The other two "old" high schools in the county Watertown (Purple Tigers) and Mt. Juliet (Golden Bears) also have colors in their respective nicknames. This issue seems to crop up every now and then, but eventually the complainers see for themselves the pride associated with these nicknames. I can only imagine the uproar in White House if someone got serious about trying to change that BDP. We've got SEVERAL fomer Blue Devils (going back 30 years or so in football, baseball, basketball, soccer, cross country) here in Lebanon who have gone on to the ministry and they are very PROUD of their Blue Devil heritage.

The Duke Blue Devils took their name from the French ski commando group by the same name. It is believed Lebanon High went the same route in picking up thier nickname so many years ago. The other two "old" high schools in the county Watertown (Purple Tigers) and Mt. Juliet (Golden Bears) also have colors in their respective nicknames. This issue seems to crop up every now and then, but eventually the complainers see for themselves the pride associated with these nicknames. I can only imagine the uproar in White House if someone got serious about trying to change that BDP. We've got SEVERAL fomer Blue Devils (going back 30 years or so in football, baseball, basketball, soccer, cross country) here in Lebanon who have gone on to the ministry and they are very PROUD of their Blue Devil heritage.

It boils down to ignorance (not knowing the facts).

Far too many people are spending so much time looking for Satan in everything in life that they just make dumb decisions! I'm sure this woman thinks she is serving God by doing this but she just isn't aware of the facts in this case.

Most people do not know that Christmas started out as a PAGAN HOLIDAY. IN this case, ignorance is NOT bliss!