Schools Without Zoning have Unfair advantage?

MasterBlaster 1

Goodpasture (11-3) at Alcoa (13-1) Both open enrollment

Fri Trousdale Co. (14-0) at Union City (11-3) ?

Sat Livingston Academy (9-5) at David Lipscomb (13-1) DL open

Sat Maryville (14-0) at Melrose (13-1) Rebels Open

Sat Oak Ridge (13-1) at Ravenwood (13-1) OR open

At least half the Schools in the playoffs are allowed to have students pay to go to their school. I know that GP amd DL or private and thats another debate but it seams that the schools that are doing well, allow students to pay an out of area fee to go to their school. I know that it's been debated on posting ref Alcoa, Maryville and others. I know Dobbins Bennet, Science Hill and other schools in the playoffs have the same rule.

Is it fair to schools like Knox Central and others who are only allowed to have players from their school district? :unsure: Does anyone have a breakdown?

Good Luck to the Knoxville Region Teams.

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least half the Schools in the playoffs are allowed to have students pay to go to their school. I know that GP amd DL or private and thats another debate but it seams that the schools that are doing well, allow students to pay an out of area fee to go to their school. I know that it's been debated on posting ref Alcoa, Maryville and others. I know Dobbins Bennet, Science Hill and other schools in the playoffs have the same rule.

Is it fair to schools like Knox Central and others who are only allowed to have players from their school district? :unsure: Does anyone have a breakdown?

Old news.

http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtopic=117050

I do agree somewhat with your point, but before you go say something about one school know everything. Knox Central has also been known to have many kids out of zone playing for them. Check the number of players that played on the team for the last 5 to 6 years that did not live in the Central zone. I do think that if a player pays to go to a school other than the one he is close to and plays a sport that school should not be allowed to play in the public school setting. This is a different topic though.

I do agree somewhat with your point, but before you go say something about one school know everything. Knox Central has also been known to have many kids out of zone playing for them. Check the number of players that played on the team for the last 5 to 6 years that did not live in the Central zone. I do think that if a player pays to go to a school other than the one he is close to and plays a sport that school should not be allowed to play in the public school setting. This is a different topic though.

Thanks, I didn't mean to rehash a topic but had seen it mentioned in different topics. I missed this one on the boards.

Why was it sent to Public/Private board?

BTW- I would consider Tyner open since it's a magnet school D Boden was not zoned for Tyner. He would have been at Chatt Cen.

So is my observation correct about half the Schools in the Championship games have students paying to go to their schools?

Goodpasture- open paying

Alcoa (13-1) open enrollment

Fri Trousdale Co. (14-0) ?

Union City (11-3) ?

Livingston Academy (9-5)

David Lipscomb (13-1) DL open

Maryville (14-0)-Rebels Open

Melrose (13-1)

Oak Ridge (13-1)-Open

Ravenwood (13-1)

So does this look correct?

I wonder whether the number of kids who pay tuition to come to a system like OR's, or Maryville's or D-B's is anywhere near the number of kids who get cross-boundary transfers in a zoned system. Seems to me as if things might even out.

I know this will seem like a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway: is it possible for an out-of-county student to pay tuition to come to a city or county school system? For example, might a student who lives in Oak Ridge pay tuition to come to a Knox County high school like Farragut, Bearden, or West? People make changes for many reasons, and I wonder whether it would be possible to do that.

I know this will seem like a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway: is it possible for an out-of-county student to pay tuition to come to a city or county school system? For example, might a student who lives in Oak Ridge pay tuition to come to a Knox County high school like Farragut, Bearden, or West? People make changes for many reasons, and I wonder whether it would be possible to do that.

I don't know if you can go into Knox Co. But I had a friend in HS who was zoned for South Doyle and paid tuition at Maryville. Drove Alcoa highway everyday to get to school. Don't worry though, SD didn't lose a football player, he didn't play sports in HS. I guess theoretically you could live in Nashville and pay tuition at Maryville, assuming you got in and could drive 2 and a half hours each way.

Before anybody gets all heated up over this debate, I know that the primary draw for Maryville tuition students is academics. All three of my friends in HS who paid tution had been in the Maryville system since kindergarden. The main reasoning behind tuition is that it makes up for the difference in property taxes that a Maryville resident has to pay. I'm not even sure if Maryville is taking tuition students in the lower grades anymore, as most schools are getting full to capacity.

I don't know if you can go into Knox Co. But I had a friend in HS who was zoned for South Doyle and paid tuition at Maryville. Drove Alcoa highway everyday to get to school. Don't worry though, SD didn't lose a football player, he didn't play sports in HS. I guess theoretically you could live in Nashville and pay tuition at Maryville, assuming you got in and could drive 2 and a half hours each way.

Before anybody gets all heated up over this debate, I know that the primary draw for Maryville tuition students is academics. All three of my friends in HS who paid tution had been in the Maryville system since kindergarden. The main reasoning behind tuition is that it makes up for the difference in property taxes that a Maryville resident has to pay. I'm not even sure if Maryville is taking tuition students in the lower grades anymore, as most schools are getting full to capacity.

Yeah, I know a few kids doing it at the Hill and it's 50/50.

If there good at football they wouldn't be going to those schools. :)