When are WB and Heritage going to put Alcoa back on the schedule.

Red Rebels

When are William Blount and Heritage going to put Alcoa back on the schedule? I was living out of state when this all went down. Will this stay this way until these coaches are gone? WB played a team from Clarksville (NW) and Alcoa played a Kentucky team (Hopkinsville @ Trigg Co.) that is not far from Clarksville.

Is the bad blood because of the coaching switch between WB/Alcoa? I say play all of your natural rivals.

Edited by Red Rebels

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. I thought that I would get a better response on what led to the Blount County High Schools not playing Alcoa this past year. Especially since WB and Alcoa both have to travel a long distance to the Clarksville area to play. Alcoa traveled this year (Trigg Co. Ky to play Hopkinsville) and WB travels west next year (Clarksville NW). Maybe the GOVMAN can help me out?

Thanks for the info. I thought that I would get a better response on what led to the Blount County High Schools not playing Alcoa this past year. Especially since WB and Alcoa both have to travel a long distance to the Clarksville area to play. Alcoa traveled this year (Trigg Co. Ky to play Hopkinsville) and WB travels west next year (Clarksville NW). Maybe the GOVMAN can help me out?

You probably did not get a response because this is old news. WB and Heritage both dropped Alcoa late last season, supposedly to add easier competition since both teams are trying to build their programs. They felt there was nothing to gain by playing a talented 2A team. This left Alcoa with holes in their schedule which they had to scramble to fill. That is how McCallie and Hoptown ended up on the schedule. The WB game would have been a home game for Alcoa so it ended up costing them one home game on the schedule , which explains why Alcoa only played 4 home games during the regular season. Do not look for these games to be resumed any time soon. Still some hard feelings over how this all played out. :thumb:

i really dont know why acloa was dropped. i do know that the players were furious when they were told of this. . . but they were told that they needed to make a statewide name for themselves, and ultimately because they didnt need to play 2a teams, even though alcoa is a 4 or 5a team mooching off of weak competition. i do know that alcoas all everything linebacker bart played at william blount and had his job taken in about week 4 by a 5'9' 145 POUND SOPHOMORE!! haha yes it is true, but o well, i believe alcoa will be back on their schedule in a few years when the schools are all split up in blount county, carpenters high, william blount high and heritage high will soon be where the kids go to school, most likely 2 or 3a teams . .. hey maybe they can play gatlingburg pittman in the first round of the playoffs. . . and goodpasture for state

Edited by BILLYWALKINGHORSE

i really dont know why acloa was dropped. i do know that the players were furious when they were told of this. . . but they were told that they needed to make a statewide name for themselves, and ultimately because they didnt need to play 2a teams, even though alcoa is a 4 or 5a team mooching off of weak competition. i do know that alcoas all everything linebacker bart played at william blount and had his job taken in about week 4 by a 5'9' 145 POUND SOPHOMORE!! haha yes it is true, but o well, i believe alcoa will be back on their schedule in a few years when the schools are all split up in blount county, carpenters high, william blount high and heritage high will soon be where the kids go to school, most likely 2 or 3a teams . .. hey maybe they can play gatlingburg pittman in the first round of the playoffs. . . and goodpasture for state

LOL.........I had the opportunity to read this clown's postings on a Maryville thread. Not too bright......and lacking factual information. Could he be a William Blount grad/student? LOL

I can see how not having the game will hurt attendence at both schools and the gate. I was told Alcoa's AD said Alcoa raked in $20K with the Maryville game, but I think it was because many belived Alcoa would beat Maryville. But still that is a alot of money around ETN for a football game.

I like the cross town Rival stuff, but Alcoa fans are kidding themselves if they think any program would drop them off the schdule because they think they are tough! That thought is silly. I think there were other reasons and after all WB and Heritage are 5A. Aside from the crosstown thing I would like Maryville to drop Alcoa as well and get Oak Ridge on the ticket. The game could be a better draw, prepair Maryville better and make less waves in 09' when Maryville becomes 5A.

By the way Alcoa is 2A because the numbers are what they are and they would not be as successful if they were 4 or 5A, that thought is just silly.

A third Blount County high school is at least 4 years from being a reality. When it happens the three schools will serve about 3500 students. That breaks down to 1150 students per school which will put them in 4A. East Tn. 4A football will be no easier than the class they are now competing in IMO. :)

• 2 weeks later...

When William Blount and Heritage dropped Alcoa off their schedule all the students and everybody said ooo WB and Heritage are scared to play Alcoa....thats simply false why would they be scared to play Alcoa when they have to play Oak Ridge..Maryville..and Ooltewah..theres no fear involved. Plus out of the last 10 years I think WB might have beat Alcoa more than Alcoa has beat WB...Im not sure on the facts but its probably 5-5 or 6-4 in favor of WB. Anyways they dropped them because WB had to do what was best for WB, not what was best for the fans, county, or whoever. There was nothing to gain from playing a 2A Alcoa. If you beat em...people say you are suppose to ..and if you lose then oh you got beat by a 2A team. The decision was made after WB had played 7 ranked opponents in a row, not many teams could handle that kind of scheduling. On top of that they were coming off a coaching change(4 coaches in 4 years) and the program has to start somewhere to get its feet under them. You people can say what you want but WB had to do what was best for WB and you need to remember what both county schools go through. I dont know if Maryville or Alcoa could improve after having 4 coaches in 4 years and nothing was said about it until the 4th year when finally the daily times wrote an article about it. Its amazing that they have been able to make the playoffs 3 out of 4 of those years. Not many schools would be able to do that.