Powell's Larry Stephens Resigns as Head Coach

PowellFan

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wild Rooster seems to be in the know as far as all-region selections are made. My better half talked with some coaches and was told that is the method used by most regions. The top team gets the most players selected and the bottom team gets the least. The only selections VOTED on by the coaches are the MVP's (back, receiver, lineman, C.O.Y., etc.)

How did this thread get off the mark so far from its original intent - Coach Stephens resignation?

Geez, i'm surprised it took you so long to get in on this one. <_<

From what I understand each region has the leeway to make their choices in whatever way they agree among themselves.

I don't doubt that WR knows what he's talking about. Like I said, there seems to be differing opinions, which is fine. Next time I talk to one of the head coaches from the region i'll get a clarification.

How did this thread get so far off topic? That's a good question.

Guest PiMPiSH

Yes, Abba will be a junior.

Both are great questions. The number three QB at the end of the year was the freshman. He played well, but he's not ready to step up to the varsity level yet, and at about 5'5" he certainly isn't tall enough yet to play. Besides, i'm hearing rumors that he may stick with basketball and give up football. We'll see if that happens.

The other sophomore quarterback missed the entire season with an injury, so after Matt things look to be wide open.

I'd be surprised if Brandon returns to football. With the problems he has had, it's just not worth the risk. Thibedeaux (don't think I spelled that right, but I don't have a roster close by) played well at times, and he's got to step up and be ready to be the go to guy next year. Whatley made progress at WR, as did a couple of other young players. That position is wide open, too.

There are some very good athletes at Powell, but many of them are young and inexperienced. Some of those guys are going to have to grow up in a hurry.

Obviously with the experienced Huff at tailback and Lakin and Loope at fullback the running game is going to be key for offensive success.

I agree. I expect Lakin to get a lot of carries. Jay Courtney MUST be replaced. I believe he was the heart and soul of last year's squad. I lke Huffy. I think Huffy is a tough runner, he's fast, explosive....he just wasn't gifted with size and oppossing teams had no trouble getting him to the ground, which really wasn't the case the previous year...I don't get it. Jay Courtney will be missed. 2 things...1. Powell must develope a QB that can get the ball down field and 2. they've got to find some speed at the wideout or the oppossing team will just stack the line and dare Powell to throw.

Sounds likePowell needs to hire a grizzly bear to be head coach

I don't know about a grizzly bear, but there is a Smoky Bear in Sevier County that I certainly wouldn't mind seeing in North Knox County. <_<

And don't say that I said that Brewer is a candidate. That was only a play off of your "bear" comment.

IMO Mat Lowe would be the peoples choice. Passionate about Powell football, knowlegeable, and already on the faculty at Powell. Lacks experience, never been a head coach, and sometimes goes a little overboard.

Phil Wilks: Experience as a head Coach, qualified, and on the faculty. Does he want to be a Head Coach and does he want to stay on the High School Level.

Catlett: Qualified, Head coaching Experience, and on the Faculty. Good job at Webb. Had a very difficult tenure at Clinton. Former player at Halls I remember someone saying Powell would never hire a Halls guy?

Dagley: Experienced, qualified, and former Powell great. Not on the faculty and is he interested in being the Head Coach? Has he applied for other Head Coaching Positions?

McByar: Head coaching experience at Union Co. Former Assistant at O.R. Unproven as a Head Coach.

McMillian: Experienced and qualified. Is willing to wait for Helton to retire or is he tired of waiting and ready to make the move.

Pemberton Catholic: Proven and experience Head Coach I have heard Catholic makes it worth his while to Coach the Irish. May take a Pay cut to come over to Knox Co.

Another Factor to consider. The A.D. at Powell Maples I belive, is a former Coach at Fulton. He may have a Coach from there interested.

If I was a betting man I would think Matt Lowe would be the next Head Coach at Powell and this is why.

1. Powell guy and the community would support the hire.

2. He teaches at Powell so that makes it easier on the administration.

3. Loves Powell and will be there for 20 years.

4. When all is said and done considering all factors he will be the best canidate. Not the most qualified mind you but the best.

biggcatt2

Great job. I have to agree with all of what you said. My only concern is that Matt is still young. Can he handle the parents of the kids that are not getting playing time? Does he have the ability to handle all that goes along with being a Head Coach? I would hate to see a good young coach get thrown in to the fire before he was ready. I do wish him luck. He is a competitor.

Edited by LEONARDSLOSERS

IMO Mat Lowe would be the peoples choice. Passionate about Powell football, knowlegeable, and already on the faculty at Powell. Lacks experience, never been a head coach, and sometimes goes a little overboard.

Phil Wilks: Experience as a head Coach, qualified, and on the faculty. Does he want to be a Head Coach and does he want to stay on the High School Level.

Catlett: Qualified, Head coaching Experience, and on the Faculty. Good job at Webb. Had a very difficult tenure at Clinton. Former player at Halls I remember someone saying Powell would never hire a Halls guy?

Dagley: Experienced, qualified, and former Powell great. Not on the faculty and is he interested in being the Head Coach? Has he applied for other Head Coaching Positions?

McByar: Head coaching experience at Union Co. Former Assistant at O.R. Unproven as a Head Coach.

McMillian: Experienced and qualified. Is willing to wait for Helton to retire or is he tired of waiting and ready to make the move.

Pemberton Catholic: Proven and experience Head Coach I have heard Catholic makes it worth his while to Coach the Irish. May take a Pay cut to come over to Knox Co.

Another Factor to consider. The A.D. at Powell Maples I belive, is a former Coach at Fulton. He may have a Coach from there interested.

If I was a betting man I would think Matt Lowe would be the next Head Coach at Powell and this is why.

4. When all is said and done considering all factors he will be the best canidate. Not the most qualified mind you but the best.

Cat2, here's what I know:

Matt Lowe has applied.

Phil Wilks told me that he isn't interested in being a head coach right now. He likes the postion he is in now.

I haven't talked to Bobby Dagley directly about it, but two other members of the current staff told me that Bobby isn't going to apply. They both have told me that the only current member of the staff who will is Matt.

I've also heard that while Catlett might like to join the staff at Powell, he isn't interested in be a head coach at this time, either. That came from inside the building.

What I believe is that if Matt isn't the choice, whoever comes from outside will have to have head coaching experience. I don't believe an assistant elsewhere will be hired.

Mark Majors, former assistant basketball coach at Fulton, is now the AD and assistant principal at Powell. He's a good guy and will do a good job with this hire just like he's done in his AD responsibilties so far. Of course, in the end, it is Mrs. Psihogios, the principal's, decision with imput from Coach Majors.

biggcatt2

Great job. I have to agree with all of what you said. My only concern is that Matt is still young. Can he handle the parents of the kids that are not getting playing time? Does he have the ability to handle all that goes along with being a Head Coach? I would hate to see a good young coach get thrown in to the fire before he was ready. I do wish him luck. He is a competitor.

If I was an Administrator that would be my biggest concern. They will have to deal with some growing pains and he will have to have tremendous support from the Administration. He will make some mistakes because he is young.

If I was an Administrator that would be my biggest concern. They will have to deal with some growing pains and he will have to have tremendous support from the Administration. He will make some mistakes because he is young.

The plus in that situation is that he would have Wilks, Smith, Dagley, Hawkins, etc. around him to support him. Most of the staff at Powell are experienced veteran coaches. That would definitely be a plus, if that is the direction they go.

IMO Mat Lowe would be the peoples choice. Passionate about Powell football, knowlegeable, and already on the faculty at Powell. Lacks experience, never been a head coach, and sometimes goes a little overboard...

I don't agree with any of this. Seems to me that to be a good head coach, you have to work with coaches other than the ones you've been playing ball for or who you coach with. He lacks variety, analysis, and maturity needed for this position. How can his work as QB coach be overlooked? I'm sorry but Powell had A LOT of trouble offensively. Ask anyone in the community about that.

Edited by Ntheknow2