Nobody can beat Courtney Coffey from jp2 in state

Pope#4

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one in the State, or the Southeast (in my opinion) Could "manhandle" Coffey!!!

Unless you've seen most of the 215s in the Southeast you probably don't want to make comments like that. There are some pretty good ones to be found just a little south of you. Kell, Ga. high school has #8 ranked Emeka Abanifi and Collins Hill, Ga. has #24 ranked Leon Delain and with Virginia (Christiansburg and Great Bridge) and North Carolina part of the Southeast there are some pretty good 215s there too.

Unless you've seen most of the 215s in the Southeast you probably don't want to make comments like that. There are some pretty good ones to be found just a little south of you. Kell, Ga. high school has #8 ranked Emeka Abanifi and Collins Hill, Ga. has #24 ranked Leon Delain and with Virginia (Christiansburg and Great Bridge) and North Carolina part of the Southeast there are some pretty good 215s there too.

Just to add a little but I think Christiansburg has the #1 215 in the nation. Believe his name is Cody Garner or something along that line. I hear he is moving to heavy next year though. I hate to say it but I am not sure either of our 215 state champs could hang with him but I would love to see it anyway.

RMC,

Got to see your 215lber on TV the other night. That was indeed a good match. Impressive kids to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

coffey is only a state champion becaue he's the best athlete. that's what D-II is about in the upper classes. I remember J.T. Wash dominating him two years ago, and I know Coffey is not much of a better wrestler now than he was then, he's just stronger and quicker, with less competition.

coffey is only a state champion becaue he's the best athlete. that's what D-II is about in the upper classes. I remember J.T. Wash dominating him two years ago, and I know Coffey is not much of a better wrestler now than he was then, he's just stronger and quicker, with less competition.

Let's see how he fairs with his 96-2 record at Nationals. I think you will be suprised!!!

Rigger, can you list those 2 and 3 time state champs who did well? Even better, what 2 and 3 time state champs have won less than 2 matches at the nationals? This might be hard to compile. Maybe someone can. I do have a comment about Junior Nationals and what it might do for you. If this tournament is so important to the development and hopeful recognition of these kids, then someone tell me what happened to Manson of Baylor who placed second at this all important tournament last year. I don't believe as good as Manson is and what he did last year at this tournament (placing 2nd), did it help him in national rankings or achieve the recognition he deserved.

I don't believe as good as Manson is and what he did last year at this tournament (placing 2nd), did it help him in national rankings or achieve the recognition he deserved.

IMHO, it did and if he does as well at the senior nationals he will get even more recognition. If a wrestler desires to compete after high school, then somehow he needs to get exposure on a national level since the opportunities in the southeast are so limited. The 2 tourneys that I think are recognized by the college coaches as legitimate measurements of high school wrestlers on the national level are Fargo and the senior nationals.

Off the top of my head, 2 years back there was a pretty good group of TN seniors that attended. I'm probably off on a couple of these but if I remember correctly several won more then 2 matches;

Leen - 5

Scott - 5

Manley - 5

Hiller - 4

Simpson - 3

Blair - 3

Rudas - 2

Turner - 2