Nobody can beat Courtney Coffey from jp2 in state

Pope#4

IMHO, it did and if he does as well at the senior nationals he will get even more recognition. If a wrestler desires to compete after high school, then somehow he needs to get exposure on a national level since the opportunities in the southeast are so limited. The 2 tourneys that I think are recognized by the college coaches as legitimate measurements of high school wrestlers on the national level are Fargo and the senior nationals.

Off the top of my head, 2 years back there was a pretty good group of TN seniors that attended. I'm probably off on a couple of these but if I remember correctly several won more then 2 matches;

Leen - 5

Scott - 5

Manley - 5

Hiller - 4

Simpson - 3

Blair - 3

Rudas - 2

Turner - 2

Very good, Vol. Now, in your humble opinion :D , why is GA looking stronger than TN wrestling most years?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good, Vol. Now, in your humble opinion :D , why is GA looking stronger than TN wrestling most years?

Sommers....I think you may have that backwards. It's just been the last 2 years that Georgia has been able to pull up close to the level of Tennessee.

Not sure GA is "looking stronger" then TN, but regardless I don't share your opinion that it is because GA has 5 divisions.

Pull out the handful of powerhouse college sized Atlanta area high schools and TN is solidly ahead of GA. How many college D1 starters are currently from GA as I can think of 10 from TN. TN has 3 college programs and GA has none?

My guess is that it is a result of a lot of different reasons;

- More folks live in GA then TN

- GA schools are better funded by the state then TN schools and as a result can hire and retain coaches

- Atlanta has lot's of folks living/working there there are from the northeast where there is a stronger wrestling history/tradition.

- GA youth organization is light years ahead of TN due that most everyone is under the same organization.

Not sure GA is "looking stronger" then TN, but regardless I don't share your opinion that it is because GA has 5 divisions.

Pull out the handful of powerhouse college sized Atlanta area high schools and TN is solidly ahead of GA. How many college D1 starters are currently from GA as I can think of 10 from TN. TN has 3 college programs and GA has none?

- More folks live in GA then TN

- GA schools are better funded by the state then TN schools and as a result can hire and retain coaches

- Atlanta has lot's of folks living/working there there are from the northeast where there is a stronger wrestling history/tradition.

- GA youth organization is light years ahead of TN due that most everyone is under the same organization.

Your guess to what? The possibility that my opinion may be right?

Anyway...

Once again, very good points; especially the last two.

I believe Rutherford County now has one of the strongest growingyouth programs in TN with Bill Kennedy (a shooting HW wrestler from PA- 80's :)) and talented John Heath (from this area-Oakland HS) and some outstanding support from the electric power board and our Sherriff's Dept. and many others. Something good is brewing in this area. :)

EDIT :thumb:

After further review, I don't see where the GA fruits have proved that strong in this year's NCAA tournament. So,,, my opinion can only be based on some off season success for GA and a few HS matches the last year or two.

Here's a TN vs. GA comparison in the 2006 NCAA's:

125 Simpson, William Army Fr Nashville, TN

133 Keller, Matt Tennessee-Chattanooga Jr McDonald, Tn

149 McKnight, Darren Michigan State Sr Hixon, TN

149 Simpson, Patrick Army Sr Nashville, TN

157 Ward, Kevin Oklahoma State Sr Soddy-Daisy, TN

157 Yost, Jacob Tennessee-Chattanooga Sr Soddy Daisy, TN

184 Blackmon, Russell Oklahoma State Sr Cleveland, TN

VS

141 Keefe, Michael Tennessee-Chattanooga Jr Ringgold, Ga

What's strikes me is that even the GA wrestler comes from the Chattanooga Metro area and wrestles for a TN school.

Very valid initial point on GA vs. TN wrestling, Vol.

Edited by Sommers

Sommers....I think you may have that backwards. It's just been the last 2 years that Georgia has been able to pull up close to the level of Tennessee.

I wasn't considering head to head as much as Nat'l tournaments during the offseason. Maybe GA hasn't fared as well as I thought. :thumb:

Your guess to what? The possibility that my opinion may be right?

Anyway...

Once again, very good points; especially the last two.

I believe Rutherford County now has one of the strongest growingyouth programs in TN with Bill Kennedy (a shooting HW wrestler from PA- 80's B)) and talented John Heath (from this area-Oakland HS) and some outstanding support from the electric power board and our Sherriff's Dept. and many others. Something good is brewing in this area. :D

EDIT B)

After further review, I don't see where the GA fruits have proved that strong in this year's NCAA tournament. So,,, my opinion can only be based on some off season success for GA and a few HS matches the last year or two.

Here's a TN vs. GA comparison in the 2006 NCAA's:

125 Simpson, William Army Fr Nashville, TN

133 Keller, Matt Tennessee-Chattanooga Jr McDonald, Tn

149 McKnight, Darren Michigan State Sr Hixon, TN

149 Simpson, Patrick Army Sr Nashville, TN

157 Ward, Kevin Oklahoma State Sr Soddy-Daisy, TN

157 Yost, Jacob Tennessee-Chattanooga Sr Soddy Daisy, TN

184 Blackmon, Russell Oklahoma State Sr Cleveland, TN

VS

141 Keefe, Michael Tennessee-Chattanooga Jr Ringgold, Ga

What's strikes me is that even the GA wrestler comes from the Chattanooga Metro area and wrestles for a TN school.

Very valid initial point on GA vs. TN wrestling, Vol.

QUOTE(walkenvol @ Mar 10 2006 - 01:20 PM) *

Now Vol, I would appreciate your opinion on Utah wrestling with their limited tradition (until Cael & Wasatch HS), population (2 million to our 6 million) & five divisions, compared to our two. Why would they have fairly close numbers in the NCAA's in 2006 and in other years as well? Is this a fluke or what?

125 Watts, Mike Michigan Fr Riverton, UT 13-17 7 Big Ten

125 Wright, Seth Northern Iowa Jr Payson, UT

149 Downing, Carter Wyoming Jr Woodruff, UT 20-7 1 West Regional

149 Sanders, Robert Nebraska So Blanding, UT 12-11 3 Big 12

(these wrestlers all come from podunk towns in HS and had to travel to get any competition)

• 10 months later...

The other season Nationally, regarding Freestyle and Greco is where GA stands above TN. They have had more All Americans than Tn has had.

Different Topic King!

BTW-After going back and reading these post and if Courtney was the only good 215 I was use to seeing I would have tyed the some things that the Coffee faithful had typed. I have now watched him wrestle over 10 x and would still stand by my original post about Nick Reveiz.

It will be interesting to see how he does at D-1 state. He knows he has a tuff road to travel this year to prove he is the best in the state. I don't think he has anyone in his Region that can test him. If he wants a shot at winning D-1 he better get some mat time with MBA or Father Ryan before State. IMHO they have the only 215s that can push him.

I see it as his only chance to be ready for the young men coming out of East TN.

Edited by rigger101

After seeing Lettner at the Breentwood tourny this weekend, I just don't see Coffey hitting his double leg and lifting him over his shoulder like he does most opponents. Plus the kid from Cookville that placed 2nd behind Lettner also looked extremely good. Coffey is far from a shoe-in to get a third gold medal at Chatt. this year.

Plus the kid from Cookville that placed 2nd behind Lettner also looked extremely good. Coffey is far from a shoe-in to get a third gold medal at Chatt. this year.

I agree that the kid (Aaron Birman) from Cookeville is tough. I know Lettner beat Birman 11-3 and that score implies that Birman isn't quite up to Lettner or Coffey's level yet, but I think he could pose a real problem for some the other top 215lbers. I believe Cookeville is at the Soddy Tournament this week-end. Competitive match-ups with Lettner,Birman and Reviez.

Edited by slowstart

I agree that the kid (Aaron Birman) from Cookeville is tough. I know Lettner beat Birman 11-3 and that score implies that Birman isn't quite up to Lettner or Coffey's level yet, but I think he could pose a real problem for some the other top 215lbers. I believe Cookeville is at the Soddy Tournament this week-end. Competitive match-ups with Lettner,Birman and Reviez.

If Shane R can find the "eye of the tiger" he could really shake some things up at state. I know he has to be tired of losing to Frankie Morgan by 1 or 2 pts every time they meet.

And yes BS&T I agree Courtney's not hitting that double and picking up Lettner or Morgan. As I've been told by a good double leg former state finalist "He put's his head in the wrong spot". That could cost him against a Morgan, Lettner or one of the other fine 215's mentioned.

Edited by rigger101