RULE CHANGE OR NOT?

toughnup

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely the most inconsistant call in high school basketball. You teach your kids to get out and pressure the ball and guess what the official forgets to count. Or even better remembers and starts counting after your girl has been hounding her girl for several seconds and he gets to 4 before she picks up her dribble or passes the ball.

The worst part is that not many officials know how far 6 feet is. Because that is as close as you have to be for the official to count. So for one official 5 feet is good for another you have to been right on her to keep the count on. It is hard to believe that this can't be taught better.

No, the rule hasn't changed it has become arbitrary!!!

The Lynchmob :lol:

The rule in HS stinks... it should be three feet like collegiate rules. As long as the defender is in a legal guarding position, the count holds, even to the basket.

my thought on this is that they are trying to speed up the game without putting in a clock. the cost of putting in clocks at every school would be very high. Then I could be very wrong.

For what it's worth...the way I understand the "5 second rule" is as follows:

A player who is being CLOSELY GUARDED has 5 seconds to either pass the ball, dribble, or escape the defender...which would restart the count once the player is closely guarded...

In other words...a player who catches a pass could...technically...hold the ball for 4 seconds...begin dribbling for 4 seconds...then stop dribbling for 4 seconds...LEGALLY...while being closely guarded. If you watch the better officials, they will actually switch arms during the count...thereby indicating a reset of the 5 second count...

That is...if I understand the rule correctly...

For what it's worth...the way I understand the "5 second rule" is as follows:

A player who is being CLOSELY GUARDED has 5 seconds to either pass the ball, dribble, or escape the defender...which would restart the count once the player is closely guarded...

In other words...a player who catches a pass could...technically...hold the ball for 4 seconds...begin dribbling for 4 seconds...then stop dribbling for 4 seconds...LEGALLY...while being closely guarded. If you watch the better officials, they will actually switch arms during the count...thereby indicating a reset of the 5 second count...

That is...if I understand the rule correctly...

This is pretty close to what I understand. The only other thing is once a player begins moving torward the basket, the count is supposed to start over.