West Keeps on Rolling

dewayne robinson

Let's see back in 1989, Pearl was an assistant at Iowa when he illegally taped a phone conversation between him and an Illinois recruit that was incriminating towards the Illini. He then turned it in to the NCAA in hopes of sanctions. The Illini were found not guilt on all major charges but sanctions were put on them for lack of control of their program. So that is one case of image problems.

Here is one of my own. Right before the Florida game he addressed the student body and used profanity to fire up the crowd. Personally I think that is childish and not very professional. As head basketball coach at a major D-1 program, you shouldn't be publicy using profanity, to me it shows lack of respect for himselfs and others.

Also he should be aware of the position he is in and should of never said anything to the ref that could draw attention to himself. I know some will say he is a fan just like everyone else. Well you are wrong. He is Bruce Pearl, head basketball coach at UT and he should be held to a higher standard because of that. He needs to learn to set a good example on and off the court. Like I said earlier I respect what he does on the court but off the court is another story.

Like we give a rip about what happened between him and the Illinois fans when he was at Iowa...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see back in 1989, Pearl was an assistant at Iowa when he illegally taped a phone conversation between him and an Illinois recruit that was incriminating towards the Illini. He then turned it in to the NCAA in hopes of sanctions. The Illini were found not guilt on all major charges but sanctions were put on them for lack of control of their program. So that is one case of image problems.

Here is one of my own. Right before the Florida game he addressed the student body and used profanity to fire up the crowd. Personally I think that is childish and not very professional. As head basketball coach at a major D-1 program, you shouldn't be publicy using profanity, to me it shows lack of respect for himselfs and others.

Also he should be aware of the position he is in and should of never said anything to the ref that could draw attention to himself. I know some will say he is a fan just like everyone else. Well you are wrong. He is Bruce Pearl, head basketball coach at UT and he should be held to a higher standard because of that. He needs to learn to set a good example on and off the court. Like I said earlier I respect what he does on the court but off the court is another story.

Here's some straws for you to grasp at...

I hope they finally clean house of those bad refs over in Knoxville area. The worst school to play in is Karns, followed by Powell and now West. I have seen refs throw out a scorekeeper just for questioning if the clock is being kept correctly. I have seen fans, coaches, players, etc. get thown out for next to nothing. Bad calls all the time. It flat out stinks. Maybe someone like Pearl, who knows better, can help clean it up. No wonder Knoxville has such a hard time getting kids to play at the next level, cause they are held back by the stinkin' refs in Knoxville.

You tell me why you don't see any Knoxville refs in the state tourneys ?

I've seen several West games with Coach Pearl in attendance. He is obviously as intense watching the game as he is coaching it. I love the passion that he brings to the game BUT he should be more of a role model. I can't say much because I get on the officials as much as anyone. He needs to realize that he is representing something bigger than an"average" fan at the game. I think some officials are intimidated once he starts getting on them. The easy out for Shane Mynatt was to ask that he be removed. The officials don't actually kick out any fans, they ask the game administrator to have them removed. I've not heard him use any vulgarity which is the main reason I've seen fans tossed. I've actually heard one ref say that he didn't mind the heckling (and some find it funny) but he wouldn't allow the fans to single any ref out by name.

As a rule, I think the majority of refs in Knoxville do an adequate job at best. I talked to one of the supervisors at a game and asked him what % of refs actually played (not just sit the bench) at the high school level and he said probably half at best. When I asked if many had played above high school he just laughed. He didn't think it was necessary to have played to be a good official. He pointed out that some refs were good "RULE BOOK" officials and some had a good "COURT PRESENCE" but it was hard to find those with both.

I don't see how anyone can say certain schools have better or worse refs in the Knoxville area. They are randomly assigned and have the option of opting out of games involving certain schools if there is a conflict of interest (kid at the school, alumni etc.). Coaches are also able to "black ball" 2 refs from doing their games at all. Most of the Knoxville area refs also do football games and they do bball to stay in shape (DON'T LAUGH). The good ole boy network is alive and well with these guys. Trust me Coach Pearl has been well discussed amongst them.

He didn't get thrown out of the game. I think somebody on here is just tryin to put somethin negative on Coach Pearl.

I disagree with you. Jerry Greene is a good guy and so is Buzz. But Bruce Pearl is the man. The ref's from Knoxville are horrible , awful, terrible ect. If the ref who tossed Pearl had been watching the game he would have not heard what Coach Pearl said. I think that the TSSAA should do something about the officials in Knoxville. I am sure Bruce had been tossed by a better official in the past. GO VOLS

Didn't Fulmer do the same thing with Bama?

You don't say those words? Ever? If you don't you represent the 2% of the population. I don't like to, but they come out some times...

Boo Hoo.