Best Looking Gym.........

all_chap

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a little off, but i always liked oman arena even if it is a little old. JCM used to host home games there when i was playing. now it is more of an entertainment center when i dont know maybe a few thousand can attend. they do use it for basketball of course, but not for one consistent team. bolivar has played there, and it hosts the NAIA national tourney. they may have district or region tssaa tourneys there. it is old school, but there is something about going there with just an average 2 or 3a size crowd for a good game. it makes the game feel a little bit more... big time i guess. and before any northwest teams are able to play in the boro, i think they should go to places like that. so they are ready for the fed ex forum, gaylord, or college arenas across the state. always a fun place for our northwest teams to visit when there is just a little more than tumbleweed in this area if you know what im sayin...

I would have to go with Summertown. If you have never been there let me try to describe it. They have real oak bleachers on both sides and at one end. They have what i call the "Eagles nest", which is a press box high in the corner on the home side. It is considered 2 stories. The bottom floor is an office and up a very small flight of stairs is the "nest". With glass windows that slide open for a better view. This is also where the spot light comes from during the home team's 5 starters announcement. (All the lights in the gym go off and the spot light is shown). THis is also the time that cell phones and glowsticks are flashed. It really is a brilliant light show.

On the ceiling of the gym they have several oak arches that run from the home side to the visiting side.

THey have one of the smallest gyms in the state, but in my opinion it has the old school charm. And it is my pick for BEST LOOKING GYM!

I would have to go with Summertown. If you have never been there let me try to describe it. They have real oak bleachers on both sides and at one end. They have what i call the "Eagles nest", which is a press box high in the corner on the home side. It is considered 2 stories. The bottom floor is an office and up a very small flight of stairs is the "nest". With glass windows that slide open for a better view. This is also where the spot light comes from during the home team's 5 starters announcement. (All the lights in the gym go off and the spot light is shown). THis is also the time that cell phones and glowsticks are flashed. It really is a brilliant light show.

On the ceiling of the gym they have several oak arches that run from the home side to the visiting side.

THey have one of the smallest gyms in the state, but in my opinion it has the old school charm. And it is my pick for BEST LOOKING GYM!

I'd love to see pictures of these gyms if possible. Summertown sounds awesome. Alcoa's is top notch in the East TN area.

yeah, dyer co. is nice, with the central scoreboard, but that whole school is exremely nice. my only problem is the fact that the gym seems so dark. you ever noticed that? i dont know if its the floor or something else, but it just seems dark in there.

I agree. It was great watching games in there for three years. I wish they would allow drinks and food in there, but I guess thats why they have the plasma TV's.

P.S. I like the Vandy Sig.

Alcoa by FAR. They have freaking hanging, 4-sided scoreboard and CCTV in the lobbies. Not to mention how nice the floor, bleachers, and goals are. All they need now is a good team to take the floor, which they are working on.

I was unaware that public high schools were that advanced. How cool it must be to play in such a high tech atmosphere.

Maybe we chould break this category into 2 sub cats.............Best modern gym/best old school gym.

yeah, dyer co. is nice, with the central scoreboard, but that whole school is exremely nice. my only problem is the fact that the gym seems so dark. you ever noticed that? i dont know if its the floor or something else, but it just seems dark in there.

I get that feeling up top but I usually sat close to the floor. Most gyms I notice it being dark except for a few exceptions.