Question on a rule change

MCHS_Dad

Please name one incident where a boy got hit in the face by a ball coming off the bat. It doesn't happen, they may get hit by a high inside fastball but not by a batted ball. Girls are at risk when they slap the ball that is why the rule was put into effect. Until we saw an increase in the number of slappers in softball this was not an issue but when girls started exposing their faces safety became an issue. This is not an arguement of boys and girls because that plays no part in the ruling, it has to do with the differences in the two games. As many changes as the TSSAA makes every year if this was an issue with the boys the rule would be changed for them too. It has nothing to do with discrimination. And this is coming from a former college softball player and and current coach, the rule is good.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with cricket1898. This is a good rule. As a player and a coach I have seen three girls get hit in the face batting. One bunted and it came back and hit her in the eye. Luckily it was only a black eye. The other two were hitting breaking pitches (probably screw balls) and the ball spun back and hit them in the face. One ended up with a fractured jaw and the other had several teeth knocked out and required extensive dental surgery as well as a second round of braces. I know these are isolated incidents but face guards certainly would have prevented them.

Please name one incident where a boy got hit in the face by a ball coming off the bat. It doesn't happen, they may get hit by a high inside fastball but not by a batted ball. Girls are at risk when they slap the ball that is why the rule was put into effect. Until we saw an increase in the number of slappers in softball this was not an issue but when girls started exposing their faces safety became an issue. This is not an arguement of boys and girls because that plays no part in the ruling, it has to do with the differences in the two games. As many changes as the TSSAA makes every year if this was an issue with the boys the rule would be changed for them too. It has nothing to do with discrimination. And this is coming from a former college softball player and and current coach, the rule is good.

I agree that girls are at risk when they slap the ball, but so are boys when they drag bunt. For that matter anyone who bunts usually turns their face directly toward the pitcher, so boys and girls are at risk. I'm not against using facemasks. I believe that it is long overdue. I think that boys should be required to wear them as well...but it ain't gonna happen.

Somebody said that girls are more likely to get hit in the face because of rise balls. I don't think this matters when correct bunting techniques are used. My child was taught to bunt the top half of the ball and keep her face away from the bat barrell.

Most boys are taught this method as well. I think that is why fewer boys get hit in the face from foul tips than girls.

Edited by Neil

Somebody said that girls are more likely to get hit in the face because of rise balls. I don't think this matters when correct bunting techniques are used. My child was taught to bunt the top half of the ball and keep her face away from the bat barrell.

Most boys are taught this method as well. I think that is why fewer boys get hit in the face from foul tips than girls.

yes we all teach the same type of bunting, but the risk is greater when a pitch coming at sixty mph for 40 ft and breaking in the last three feet of the pitch. anyway the mask is the child or parents choice. But i would hate to be the parent to say my child, "See if you would of bunted the top half of the ball we wouldn't be replacing your eye socket"

Edited by softballscout

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve heard that all batting helmets must have a face mask on them this year. Is this true?

SITUATION 2: While checking the equipment in the visiting team’s dugout, the umpires find that although all the helmets have face guards on them, three do not have

the permanently-affixed NOCSAE approval. RULING: The umpires will have the three helmets that do not have the proper NOCSAE approval removed from the dugout. The visiting team will only be able to use those helmets that have the proper NOCSAE approval. (1-6-6)

SITUATION 3: During the pregame inspection of equipment, the umpires notice that the home team has brand new helmets with the NOCSAE-approval embossed stamp on them and equipped with NOCSAE approved face guards, but none of the helmets have a “warning” label on them. RULING: None of the helmets may be used. In order to be legal and used in the game, helmets must have the following, visible and legible: 1) a permanently affixed NOCSAE stamp, 2) the text, “Meets NOCSAE Standard” permanently affixed to the face guard, and 3) a legible “warning” label. (1-6-1; 1-6-6)

SITUATION 2: While checking the equipment in the visiting team’s dugout, the umpires find that although all the helmets have face guards on them, three do not have

the permanently-affixed NOCSAE approval. RULING: The umpires will have the three helmets that do not have the proper NOCSAE approval removed from the dugout. The visiting team will only be able to use those helmets that have the proper NOCSAE approval. (1-6-6)

SITUATION 3: During the pregame inspection of equipment, the umpires notice that the home team has brand new helmets with the NOCSAE-approval embossed stamp on them and equipped with NOCSAE approved face guards, but none of the helmets have a “warning” label on them. RULING: None of the helmets may be used. In order to be legal and used in the game, helmets must have the following, visible and legible: 1) a permanently affixed NOCSAE stamp, 2) the text, “Meets NOCSAE Standard” permanently affixed to the face guard, and 3) a legible “warning” label. (1-6-1; 1-6-6)

I think something we should also consider is the physics of each game.

Baseball is thrown over the shoulder which forces the ball down.

Fastpitch is thrown under the shoulder which creates a better chance for the ball to rise. This can cause the ball to come off the top half of the bat then into the face of the batter.

Just a thought.

I AGREE. IT ALL HAS TO DO WITH PHYSICS. A BASEBALL IS GOING DOWN IT HAS A LESSER CHANCE OF COMING UP IN YOUR FACE. THE SOFTBALL IS COMING UP WHICH MAKES A GREATER CHANCE OF GETTING HIT IN THE FACE. IF YOU WERE TO CHECK THE THE STATISTICS, YOU WOULD FIND THAT MORE SOFTBALL PLAYERS ARE INJURED EVERY YEAR (FACIAL INJURIES) THAN BASEBALL (ESPECIALLY WHEN BUNTING). I WOULD RATHER BE SAFE THAN SORRY! I HAVE SEEN ALOT OF GIRLS GET INJURED THAT WAY OVER THE YEARS THAT HAVE REQUIRED SURGERY. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS RULE!

Edited by DTT

First, I want to say that I am all for safety of the girls. However, if we are concerned about the girls keeping their teeth in their head, then pitchers, first basemen, and third basemen should have to wear mask on the field too. I have witnessed more girls get hit from line drives at these positions than girls at the plate. In fact, I have seen more players taken off the field from sliding into second and home than hurt at the plate. I have found that most girls don't mind wearing them. I can't say that I would have been able to...but I am a "has been". With this game comes risk. We do what we can to prevent injuries. I think that the girls and their parents should have the choice to wear them or not. I played for years and never got hit in the face. I can count on one hand how many times I saw girl get hit with a foul ball. I can't, however, count the number of times I have seen girls hit with line drives. Pretty soon softball players will look like football players so that no one gets hurt. :)

i know alot of things can happen by not wearing a face mask, when i was little i used to watch my sister play for the nighthawks, one of the girls on the other team was bunting and the ball knocked out all her teeth and her braces, i watched her dad hold her teeth in his hands as the ambulance came.

it has to hurt, but that is a risk she was willing to take, i think it really should be up to the players and their parents if as individuals they want to wear the face mask or not, as a player i dislike them, it makes it harder to see when batting. i know everyone will say that safety is over batting average, but that depends on the person.

if the player comes to play hard and plays to win then they might take the chance of an injury, again it should just be up to that player/parent.

if you wanted to get rid of injuries, you wouldnt be able to play the game of softball, think about it, look how close third, pitcher, and first base is to the batter, there would be no stealing, no sliding, no diving, nothing.

its a risk with the game, i understand little kids, but once you are in high school and you can make the decision yourself and also what ever your parents say, thats what you should do