Best all-time wrestler

1Irish1

Top 5

1. Philip Simspon: his record speaks for itself

2. Bill Harlow: very good back in the day but the competition was not as strong as today.

3. Adrian Norfleet: may be the best athlete to ever wrestle in Tennessee. When I saw him schooling the UTC 118 & 126 guys in a workout on Sat. afternoon and then put on a show in the finals that same evening I knew that he was for real. If he had only focused on his academics he could have been a 4X All-American. What a joke when the TSSAA & Officials refused to give him the OW because he "HULCKED UP" after he won his 3rd championship.

4. Matt Keller: 4X state champion that has had a sold college wrestling career.

5. David Vance: 3X state champion that signed with Oklahoma. David had all of the tools to be a national champion in college. He just had to be a maverick and it ended up costing him.

Edited by cbg

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McTorry lost to Markese Nelson 5 times, including 3 times during his Junior season. Nelson is why McTorry is not a 3 time state champion. McTorry never beat Nelson in a high school, scholastic match (he did beat him once in freestyle).

The best would have to be Phillip Simpson. 4 timer, 3 time NCAA all-american. Set numerous records while at Army.

Dude, Delgado I agree with Phillip Simpson... and I can say from experience that Markese Nelson could make any grown man cry arguably worldwide.

Who ever beat Phillip in HS? I would have to agree that he has made the most noise for TN Nationally over the past 30 years. :thumb:

I could be wrong, but I don't think anybody in the state beat Phillip once he reached the 9th grade. As coach Bray stated, phillip was giving up quite a few lbs in the 8th grade but still made it to state. If my memory serves me correctly he took 4th in the region his 8th grade year. With that said, Simpson would be right near the top in choosing the best all-time wrestler in TN.

Edited by HC80

Who ever beat Phillip in HS? I would have to agree that he has made the most noise for TN Nationally over the past 30 years. :thumb:

This is not an effort to take anything away from Simpson- he was phenominal- and a NCAA finals appearance certainly confirms it. However, I don't see how he made the most noise nationally in the last 30 years. Jordan Leen was a Senior Nationals champion and a three time NCAA All American with a third place finish and a NCAA Championship. That's pretty noisy.

This is not an effort to take anything away from Simpson- he was phenominal- and a NCAA finals appearance certainly confirms it. However, I don't see how he made the most noise nationally in the last 30 years. Jordan Leen was a Senior Nationals champion and a three time NCAA All American with a third place finish and a NCAA Championship. That's pretty noisy.

Best TN wrestlers ever:

1. Bill Harlow - 1966 NCAA Div. 1 Champion, NCAA Div. 1 runner up 1964 & 1965, 3x NCAA Div. 1 All American, 2010 recipient of OSU's Gallagher Award, runner-up at the 1970 world championships in Edmonton, Canada, State Champion and National High School prep champion, high school wrestling coach for over 40 years.

2. Jordan Leen - 2008 NCAA Div.1 Champion, 3x NCAA Div. 1 All American, 3x NCAA Div. Academic All American, 4x TN State Champion, Senior Nationals Champion, was the winningest high school wrestler ever in TN until this year (Alex Manley now has the record). ESPN Commentator 2010 NCAA tournament, currently an assistant coach at Duke University.

3. Phillip Simpson - 2005 NCAA Div. 1 runner up, 3x NCAA Div.1 All-american (2003-2005), 7th Place freestyle 2011 U.S. Open, 4x TN State champ, National high school runner-up, member of US Army

World Class Athlete program.

4. Nick Marable - 2x NCAA Div. 1 All American, 3rd place freestyle 2010 US World Team Trials, runner up freestyle 2011 US Open, 2x TN State High School Champion, Cadet Freestyle National Champion, currently strength and conditioning coach Univ. of Missouri.

Edited by mocs2011

Best TN wrestlers ever:

1. Bill Harlow - 1966 NCAA Div. 1 Champion, NCAA Div. 1 runner up 1964 & 1965, 3x NCAA Div. 1 All American, 2010 recipient of OSU's Gallagher Award, runner-up at the 1970 world championships in Edmonton, Canada, State Champion and National High School prep champion, high school wrestling coach for over 40 years.

2. Jordan Leen - 2008 NCAA Div.1 Champion, 3x NCAA Div. 1 All American, 3x NCAA Div. Academic All American, 4x TN State Champion, Senior Nationals Champion, was the winningest high school wrestler ever in TN until this year (Alex Manley now has the record). ESPN Commentator 2010 NCAA tournament, currently an assistant coach at Duke University.

3. Phillip Simpson - 2005 NCAA Div. 1 runner up, 3x NCAA Div.1 All-american (2003-2005), 7th Place freestyle 2011 U.S. Open, 4x TN State champ, National high school runner-up, member of US Army

4. Nick Marable - 2x NCAA Div. 1 All American, 3rd place freestyle 2010 US World Team Trials, runner up freestyle 2011 US Open, 2x TN State High School Champion, Cadet Freestyle National Champion, currently strength and conditioning coach Univ. of Missouri.

You have got to add Waylon Lowe in with his accomplishments.

You have got to add Waylon Lowe in with his accomplishments.

D2 titles are outstanding accomplishments, but generally not at the level of D1 champions or all americans. Just my opinion, but I think this is supported by off season and open tournament results. Consequently Waylon while a great representative for TN wrestling did not make my top 4.

Had to adjust the earlier order due to the Nick Marable's Gold Medal at the 2011 Pan American Games....

Best TN wrestlers ever:

3. Nick Marable - 2x NCAA Div. 1 All American, 3rd place freestyle 2010 US World Team Trials, runner up freestyle 2011 US Open, Gold Medal freestyle 2011 Pan American Games, 2x TN State High School Champion, Cadet Freestyle National Champion, currently strength and conditioning coach Univ. of Missouri.

4. Phillip Simpson - 2005 NCAA Div. 1 runner up, 3x NCAA Div.1 All-american (2003-2005), 7th Place freestyle 2011 U.S. Open, 4x TN State champ, National high school runner-up, member of US Army

Nice work by Mr. Marable, congrats.

I do not know the answer to this question, but where does the Pan Am Games rank when it comes to international competition?

Not sure where it "ranks" but only North and South America (plus islands) compete. He did beat the Cuban in the finals and I believe he is a former World Champ