Alcoa

cephus23

I have talked to both the Alcoa A.D. and the director of schools and all they will say is that they are accepting and receiving lots of applications. Interviews start in April.

On a related note , I have it from a reliable source that Alcoa co-defensive coordinator Richard Gamble and his wife to be are house hunting in Georgia. Could he be joining Reid @ East Paulding ? B)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

better listen to reddevil rankin is very interested in coming to alcoa and if he applies and alcoa does not hire him they are stupid. this guy would stay there until he retires.

He is in year #30 right now. He could retire at anytime. I believe he would take the Alcoa job and stay for as long as he felt he could win another state title. It might be one year, it might be two........he seems to definitely want out of Murfreesboro.

Does anyone know how many they are going to put on a short list or if they are going to have one? And if a new coach is hired outside the system, will he be able to bring any in with him?

There is a possibility of one and maybe two coaching staff positions that will be open. The problem is that there are no faculty positions for those openings at this time. B)

Is Rankin serious about the Alcoa job. He interviewed a few years ago when Reid got the job but from my sources, pulled his name out of the hat.

I heard he interviewed for some jobs down in Georgia both this year and last but didn't want to move that far away after all. For someone who has strong MT ties, can't see him coming to ET, unless he just can't say NO ($$$$$$). I have heard that Alcoa has called and inquired about the possibility of talking to him.

Does anyone have something more to add?

I have a short list and all better pay heed....LOUDON fans better keep an ear to the sidewalk...this should be a two horse race and it is shaping up to be exactly that. For Rankin to be a candidate, this would first mean that we want him here. That, I think is not the case. Most fans and players would love to have NIX. He has the enthusiasm and the youth that we need to keep the program consistant. But can he supply the discipline??

Stay Tuned.

I have a short list and all better pay heed....LOUDON fans better keep an ear to the sidewalk...this should be a two horse race and it is shaping up to be exactly that. For Rankin to be a candidate, this would first mean that we want him here. That, I think is not the case. Most fans and players would love to have NIX. He has the enthusiasm and the youth that we need to keep the program consistant. But can he supply the discipline??

Stay Tuned.

Discipline?? I agree Alcoa needs improvement there and I also think a young Coach would be a great fit. However one can not discount what a Coach like Rankin could bring to a program like Alcoa's. 2A pressure is not like pressure in a major media market like Nashville and Murf-eeesss-boro! (Annual Maryville Tailgate Site) Gary Rankin is one of the best Coaches in Tennessee High School football history, if he wants the job it will be his me thinks! Alcoa would do well to attract a coach of his caliber and accomplishment. But I also agree age could be a factor, no way he stays long term, +4 Years by my diff.

Who knows maybe he just wants the job to get out of the big city and get a dream shot at beating Quarles! Could be that simple!

I don't think Gary Rankin is "dreaming" about beating Quarles. The man doesn't have to beat anyone to prove anything.

I would think Rankin is the present standard for Tennessee high school coaches.

Discipline?? I agree Alcoa needs improvement there and I also think a young Coach would be a great fit. However one can not discount what a Coach like Rankin could bring to a program like Alcoa's. 2A pressure is not like pressure in a major media market like Nashville and Murf-eeesss-boro! (Annual Maryville Tailgate Site) Gary Rankin is one of the best Coaches in Tennessee High School football history, if he wants the job it will be his me thinks! Alcoa would do well to attract a coach of his caliber and accomplishment. But I also agree age could be a factor, no way he stays long term, +4 Years by my diff.

Who knows maybe he just wants the job to get out of the big city and get a dream shot at beating Quarles! Could be that simple!

I don't think Gary Rankin is "dreaming" about beating Quarles. The man doesn't have to beat anyone to prove anything.

I would think Rankin is the present standard for Tennessee high school coaches.

Never implied Coach Rankin is dreaming, he has nothing to prove to anyone. He is a great guy and Coach, I meant no disrespect. One must admit beating a Quarles Team is becoming a chore! The coaches who have beat Quarles since he became Maryville's Head Coach can be counted on one hand and the coach has a ring for each finger, at this point in history. I would think Coach Quarles would enjoy and annual game vs. Coach Rankin, and the kids and fans would be the benefactors of such an event.

Seriously, does anyone think Coach Rankin would be interested in the Alcoa job? I would welcome the chance to watch one of his teams here in Blount County, the home of state champions!