Alcoa

cephus23

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then the question.....why does Maryville even play Alcoa? As you stated Maryville is suppose to win being a 4A school so why even bother lining up?

The last five years Maryville fans and players have endured smack talk from the highest degree from the Alcoans and yet each of those years Maryville has stomped Alcoa relentlessly. Last year with the Super Seniors at Alcoa finally they were going to beat a rebuilding Maryville team....LMBO what a complete stomping Maryville put on Alcoa. Yet you ignorant uneducated Alcoa supporters keep bla bla bla bla. Are there no shame with you people? How many stompings do you have to endure? LOL...just sad!

If you have to ask why Alcoa and Maryville play each other every year, then you haven't been a rebel fan very long. The tradition behind this rivalry is probably unparalled anywhere else in the state. Painting the bridge, egg fights (okay, they've put this to a stop), pranks on the other school, the bonfires, pep rallies, chants ("M-u-r-v-u-l, murvul, murvul, ___ like ___, the rebel flag burning, etc., are all what makes this rivalry so fun. If they didn't play each other every year, what would Marville fans have to gloat about (other than beating the other 2 county "teams" and winning another championship)??? It would definitely be a sad season to see this rivalry gone. I suspect that some day it may be, but we older "kids" have our memories!

Once again, here, on the 1A-2A-3A forum, it's become "all about Maryville"!!!

Alcoa is looking forward to a great season with our new coach. The kids are excited, the fans are excited. The kids are ready to get working to bring home another gold ball. Beating maryville would be icing on the cake, but it wouldn't take away from being at the 'Boro again.

The 1st shot has been fired and I have to guess that it won't be the last. As a former Alcoa athlete I am well aware that there have been those who lack discipline at times. Guess what?????? Maryville has had those players as well. Don't pretend as if Alcoa is the only school that has them and that Maryville is filled with perfect athletes who never become ambitious about their own accomplishments. You're dreaming if you think that.

I know that in 2001 Alcoa should have won the state title if it had not been for a certain penalty toward the end of the semis. But it happens.

I did not play football at Alcoa but I did compete against Maryville in other sports. Most of the times I competed against Maryville we won by the way. But the enjoyment of beating Maryville is beyond description. One of my favorite memories as a young teenager would have to be laughing at a Maryville fan, who somehow could not control her crying, after the 1993 game when Alcoa beat them for like the 5th straight year. For those of you who have never beat Maryville, let me assure you it is sweet.

Rankin will be good for the program. HE will beat Maryville at some point. Irony here is that Maryville has beat Alcoa several times simply because of coaching which has been admitted to by several Maryville fans but now that Alcoa has acquired a coach that has equaled George Quarles and even has outperformed Quarles in some areas, the game has suddenly become one in which Alcoa needs more than a coach.

Alcoa has more talent and unless they are outcoached again they will win. It's the same story every year: Alcoa's players vs. Maryville's coaches. Then again, most schools have better athletes than Maryville which shows what type of coach Quarles is. It will be interesting to see what happens when the coaching advantage Maryville has had in the past is nullified.

I'll be back in August.

As for John Reid....Thank you for bringing this program back to where it should be every year. 28-2 record in 2 years is hard to beat and even though Quarles got you those 2 times, I still have the utmost respect for how you turned this team into winners.

Alcoa High School

Home of so many professional and college athletes it would be impossible to mention them all

Checking back for some names and see there are none posted yet.

Some good points BUT......Same old song and dance, we got better athletes, but lose the games! Man for man Maryville beats Alcoa even with those so called better athletes. Check the scores and records the past 75 years there sport. Ever stop to think maybe you don't have better athletes? Maryville hears that bull every year. If you think Alcoa has athletes, you need to watch Melrose! By the way Maryville beat them twice in the past two years.

Lastly, you said "Alcoa High School (The) Home of so many professional and college athletes it would be impossible to mention them all".

Name them? Maryville has a few of those substandard Athletes at the college level as well. Maybe you saw the Humphrey kid in the National Championship basketball game last week?

Good luck, but Maryville still owns Alcoa and I know it hurts. Sorry that is just how it is.

Humphrey? Who else? Spratlin? What is that class act doing now?

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers or anything, but why is everyone saying Rankin is firing shots at Maryville?

He said he wasn't scared of them...so what? Is every coach SUPPOSED to be scared of Maryville? Maybe that's one reason...actually I know it's one reason we haven't been successful at beating Maryville in the past few years. I think Reid was nervous about playing Maryville, and that rubbed off on some of the players. Rankin's just saying he's not going to let that happen, he's played against some the best, so it's not like Maryville's going to be something new.

Will we win? Who knows? But, maybe if Rankin assures his players that they can play with Maryville, we might see a good game. But once again, who knows?

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers or anything, but why is everyone saying Rankin is firing shots at Maryville?

He said he wasn't scared of them...so what? Is every coach SUPPOSED to be scared of Maryville? Maybe that's one reason...actually I know it's one reason we haven't been successful at beating Maryville in the past few years. I think Reid was nervous about playing Maryville, and that rubbed off on some of the players. Rankin's just saying he's not going to let that happen, he's played against some the best, so it's not like Maryville's going to be something new.

Will we win? Who knows? But, maybe if Rankin assures his players that they can play with Maryville, we might see a good game. But once again, who knows?

Good point Tom142. The same could be said about Maryville being scared of Alcoa in Basketball. I mean they have had better talent before, but Alcoa just rolls the ball out and they usually fall apart. They have gotten better in the last few years though.

He was quoted by an Alcoa supporter as saying, "he wasn't afraid of Maryville", "Alcoa should be commended for playing up" "Maryville never contacted him at Riverdale for a game", and; "He never saw Maryville playing Oak Ridge or Dobyns Bennet". If he actually said all of that I think it could be said he took a few shots. I could care less either way. And don't feel bad about the fear factor thing either some exuberant AHS fans have already accused us of being scared of Rankin. :)

We played Alcoa last season and they were by far the best team we played all season. They put a good wipping on us (36-6). We had a hard time believing that Maryville could beat them so handly. By playing Alcoa it made us a better team. We ended up winning our district and lost in the Regional Finials by 3 points to the 3A state runner up Bowling Green. Should have won fumbled on the 3 yard line on first down. Last year against Alcoa our 1st year QB struggled throwing 2 picks in the 1st quarter that set the tone for the rest of the game. He did however, ended up playing well the rest of the season threw for around 1,500 yards and set the school record for complection percentage 64%. We also has a RB(Emanuel Taylor) who rushed for over 1,600 yards in his first year of playing organize football. He is up for Mr. Football this season and will be a D.1 player. West Virginia is coming down next week to give him a visit. I thought Alcoa played with class and Branden Warren should have not been thrown out of the game. We look forward playing Alcoa next year and should give them a better game. The game is still on and will be the first game 6:00 of the Bowl schedule in Trigg County.