You gotta love softball parent.......

kidnplay

I have known Rebecca Eldridge from watching her play in high school (Soddy Daisy), having a daughter play with her in the summer in the highest division of softball, 18 Gold, seeing her excel in college, and traveling throughout the country with her and her family. Believe me when I say this is a person of high integrity. No way she would play politics with a kid, play favorites, or in any way hurt a team's chances of being the best they could possibly be. Rhea County is lucky to have a person of this type in their program. Parents can be blind to the abilities of their children and when they take it to this level they need someone to step up just as this board did.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have known Rebecca Eldridge from watching her play in high school (Soddy Daisy), having a daughter play with her in the summer in the highest division of softball, 18 Gold, seeing her excel in college, and traveling throughout the country with her and her family. Believe me when I say this is a person of high integrity. No way she would play politics with a kid, play favorites, or in any way hurt a team's chances of being the best they could possibly be. Rhea County is lucky to have a person of this type in their program. Parents can be blind to the abilities of their children and when they take it to this level they need someone to step up just as this board did.

Why does everything concerning Chattanooga or a place next to Chattanooga involve major drama when it comes to sports??? Good grief, think about it . Grow up people.

Good grief, think about it . Grow up people.

You took my thoughts right out of my head. Now I was there that night see I help out the baseball team and I have a few friends on the softball team. Well I when over there to see who made the team and and I believe that there was about 22 players trying out. By the time I got over there the list had been posted. Honest to heaven above I have never seen the parents and players at like that after a tryout. It was sad stupid and very childish for the way some of the players and parents acted. If you are not good enough to make the team then you are going to be cut plain and simple. But I wil say one Coach Eldridge knows what she is doing and she will do what is best for her school and players.

Edited by Rhea Co.

BOTTOM LINE: Parents should respect the choices and decisions of the coach and deal with it. Whining and complaining only leave a bad example for your children to follow. Life's not fair, deal with it. The best person doesn't always get the job. From what I have read, this coach is a good person and she should be respected, by parents and students alike, as a professional.

I know NewsNews situation and folks it's not about skill, playing time or even politics. It is about an adult dealing with children in a manner that is unacceptable at work, church or society in general. It is about control and power. A high school coach who insults and makes fun of his players in front of the team,parents and other teams has lost touch with what the game is about. I don't think for one second that anyone on this board would be happy with a coach who belittles a child because of weight, speed , mental or physical abilities in front the team , parents and anyone else in ear shot. Yes, leave the coaches alone let them coach,it's their team but any parent would be upset if their child is taken to task in front of the whole world and made to feel about an inch tall. And this is because "I" am the coach "I" have the power and control to do and say what "I" want ,so you and your kids deal with it or leave. I have been around high school ball and travel ball a long time (three daughters) I have never seen a situation like this. You folks will have to cut NewsNews some slack it hits very close to home for him. Sorry NN didn't mean to stick my nose in your business just got carried away.......

Edited by VTEC

I don't know this particular situation but I sure know about politics in softball...my daughter has played travel ball since she was 8 years old and when she got to high school she stuck it out almost three years before the politics got to be so bad she couldn't take it anymore...thats why I like travel ball so much more...the best players play there and it doesn't matter who the parents are.

I know NewsNews situation and folks it's not about skill, playing time or even politics. It is about an adult dealing with children in a manner that is unacceptable at work, church or society in general. It is about control and power. A high school coach who insults and makes fun of his players in front of the team,parents and other teams has lost touch with what the game is about. I don't think for one second that anyone on this board would be happy with a coach who belittles a child because of weight, speed , mental or physical abilities in front the team , parents and anyone else in ear shot. Yes, leave the coaches alone let them coach,it's their team but any parent would be upset if their child is taken to task in front of the whole world and made to feel about an inch tall. And this is because "I" am the coach "I" have the power and control to do and say what "I" want ,so you and your kids deal with it or leave. I have been around high school ball and travel ball a long time (three daughters) I have never seen a situation like this. You folks will have to cut NewsNews some slack it hits very close to home for him. Sorry NN didn't mean to stick my nose in your business just got carried away.......

Dang.......thanks VTEC......I guess I owe you a fishing trip.......

I have to admit our situation is different......but I guess when people generalize(sp) kids,parents and even coaches I feel like that isn't right...every

situation IS DIFFERENT......just wish it could be worked out without the CONTROL factor......If people could just do what Is RIGHT.....

Sorry if I have offended anyone.....and Yes I don't know about the details at Rhea.... I guess it just struck a nerve....

Communication is the Key and a Obligation.........Which includes Coaches,Parents, and Kids.....

java script:emoticon(';)', 'smid_13')

:thumb: VTec - absolutely the best post I have ever seen concerning high school athletics.

I think if the senior made the team the other 3 years she should be on the team her senior year. Even if she was the worse player on the team. Coach does not have to play her. I would think that if the girl did not make the team her senior year it could really hurt her self-esteem. Can't really understand why she was cut? Were there other seniors that were cut or just her??? I think it was a poor coaching decision. :thumb:

Okay, but what if that senior was taking a spot on the roster that could have been filled by someone younger but just as good. If you want to win you put the best on the team. Keeping dead weight around can drag a team down. However, who knows this exact situation and I think the coach should be commended for coming in and doing what she thinks is right. Lots of times parents have a very difficult time handling it when a new coach comes in and things change.