You gotta love softball parent.......

kidnplay

Ok...we are on the third page of this thread and, unless I missed something, no one has said what the issue was. Everyone is assuming that it's politics or poor coaching but no one is considering the fact that the girl may not be good enough to make the team or that she could possibly have done something wrong. Just because the girl was on the team for three years does not give her an automatic exemption for the fourth year. Stop beating up on the coach since we don't know the facts. I'm sure that no coach would cut a player that could have a positive impact on the team. The bottom line is that the coach made a decision that, in her mind, was the best for the team. Deal with it!

I disagree with your opinion about coaches not cutting good players. Some do lots of things just because they have the power to do so. Why would a player make the team for 3 years and then suddenly not be good enough for it. Or, if it was a disciplinary issue unless it was something bad enough to get her suspended from school aren't there other ways for a coach to get there point across instead of cutting a player there senior year. It's easy to say Deal with it! when your child is not involved. I think coaches shouldn't be allowed to coach unless they are parents. What do you think about that? Being good enough to make teams is also a mattter of opinion that depends on a lot of factors. My daughter made everything she always tried out for and always got plenty of playing time but, I certainly have seen coaches do things to others that was not right. Compassion, respect, and self respect go a long way. And oh yeah lets not forget good old common sense. I would love to know the facts concerning this particular issue. I an just talking about coaching in general. The coach is not always right and thats why I agreed with the previous post. You certainly cannot change it and it does no good to complain.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Rhea County play this weekend.....it's beyond me WHY the senior didnt make the team. They surely were not a Soddy Daisy with all exception players. Again I think it was a poor choice on the coaches part to cut the senior. Have no idea why she was really cut....can anyone let us know why she was cut?????? And please dont tell me that there were freshman and sophmores better than her.....have a hard time believing that..... :D

I don't know who you are but you are very insightful and have obviously experienced high school softball and the politics involved. You cannot change it and in my experience there are always parents at the high school level that have the coach in there back pockets. It is not always the best players that are put on the field and some great players are cut or put in situations where they are forced to make decisions regardless of there love for the game. Thank God for summer travel teams and the exposure the girls get on them. If it was all about school ball the college coaches would miss out on some good players that never make the teams or don't get to play because of politics. I wonder if the coach at Rhea County might look back on this 20 years from now and wonder if she could have handled it differently. I do not know her but she is probably young and I am sure some of the parents are taking advantage of her. Hopefully she will learn from this and not be like some area coaches that just remain stubborn and influenced my booster parents with big bucks and don't care about winning!

I so agree with this...specially this part.... You cannot change it and in my experience there are always parents at the high school level that have the coach in there back pockets. It is not always the best players that are put on the field and some great players are cut or put in situations where they are forced to make decisions regardless of there love for the game. Thank God for summer travel teams and the exposure the girls get on them. If it was all about school ball the college coaches would miss out on some good players that never make the teams or don't get to play because of politics.

I so agree with this...specially this part.... You cannot change it and in my experience there are always parents at the high school level that have the coach in there back pockets. It is not always the best players that are put on the field and some great players are cut or put in situations where they are forced to make decisions regardless of there love for the game. Thank God for summer travel teams and the exposure the girls get on them. If it was all about school ball the college coaches would miss out on some good players that never make the teams or don't get to play because of politics.

The coach should not have to put up with stuff from parents or players. This thread is ridiculous. We dont know why, we dont need to know why. Unless you are the player or parent of the player that was involved in this action, it doesnt concern us. Let these people talk it out nicely in private.

The coach should not have to put up with stuff from parents or players. This thread is ridiculous. We dont know why, we dont need to know why. Unless you are the player or parent of the player that was involved in this action, it doesnt concern us. Let these people talk it out nicely in private.

:lol: If the coach shouldn't have to put up with stuff from parents or players why should the parents and players have to put up with stuff from the coach? And let me assure you that coaches who are inappropriate (and there are many) will not talk it out nicely in private because they have no defense for what they have done. The bottom line is that there is no accountability on the part of coaches. They can and do what they please. Opnions like yours are a large part of the problem.

:P And let me just ad one thing. My daughter has played for alot of coaches (over 20 in basketball and softball in the last 9 years). I have seen the worst and the best. There are a lot of coaches out there that do a great job and serve as valuable role models for our children. And those coaches are usually the most successful.

:lol: If the coach shouldn't have to put up with stuff from parents or players why should the parents and players have to put up with stuff from the coach? And let me assure you that coaches who are inappropriate (and there are many) will not talk it out nicely in private because they have no defense for what they have done. The bottom line is that there is no accountability on the part of coaches. They can and do what they please. Opnions like yours are a large part of the problem.

:P And let me just ad one thing. My daughter has played for alot of coaches (over 20 in basketball and softball in the last 9 years). I have seen the worst and the best. There are a lot of coaches out there that do a great job and serve as valuable role models for our children. And those coaches are usually the most successful.

I good quote comes to mind when I read this

" Practice and become so good they CANT ignore you" They will play you if they like you or not.

Amazing how many things this philosophy overcomes.

unfortunately when dealing with situations such as having to cut players from a team you will never please everyone. someone is always going to be unhappy. coaches don't enjoy cutting players. from a coaches perspective i would put the best nine on the field no matter who they are or what grade they are in. after all isn't a coachs' performance graded on wins and losses? very few coaches are hired or keep for being nice or fair. i am not say that it is right that is however the way it works.

Nine years of AAU Basketball, Competitve softball, Rec. basketball and softball, and 8 years of school basket and softball. If you knew anything about playing elite sports you would know its not hard to have that many coaches when you play two sports year round. Played on one competitive softball team for 4 years. My daughter only left one team because of a coach.

And I have never interfered with a coach's coaching. I however, have complained about profanity and belittling players (when my daughter was yoiunger). I guess a good parent should stand by while their child is insulted and mistreated.

Nine years of AAU Basketball, Competitve softball, Rec. basketball and softball, and 8 years of school basket and softball. If you knew anything about playing elite sports you would know its not hard to have that many coaches when you play two sports year round. Played on one competitive softball team for 4 years. My daughter only left one team because of a coach.

And I have never interfered with a coach's coaching. I however, have complained about profanity and belittling players (when my daughter was yoiunger). I guess a good parent should stand by while their child is insulted and mistreated.

That is why this site is here to express opinions. And my opinion is that most high school coaches do not put the best players on the field. They are influenced by way too many other things. High school softball would be much more competitive and lots more competitive teams would be put on the field if the coach always chose the best players. Why are you so defensive and angry MC Dad? Are you one of the parents that has the coach in your pocket?

Not angry at all. And, NO, I don't have the coach in my back pocket or anywhere else. I let the coaches make the decisions for the team. Last year my daughter played for a coach that, in my opinion, was not a very good coach. I have not publicly said anything to that coach or about that coach. We suffered through the year and at the end of the season we politely turned in her uniforms and went on our marry way. This year, when they called to tell us to tell us when practices would be starting, we just informed them that she was playing with another team. There was no coach bashing from our end and no bickering at the ballpark. That is the way that I feel disgruntled parents should handle things. That's just my opinion though and I know that I'm in the minority because it is much too easy to raise heck about the coach so that EVERYONE knows that you are upset. I guess that makes the parents feel better.

I am defensive for one simple reason and no one is listening to what I'm saying. We don't know the situation at Rhea. But, yet everyone is on here crucifying the coach for being such a poor coach with poor ethics. BUT YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!! It could be that you are right, BUT YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe the HS sports is so bad that all coaches are influenced by politics. I happen to know many very good HS coaches (in all sports) that are totally unaffected by parents trying to play politics. This goes back to my argument on another thread that parents should not be allowed in practice. All parents think that their kid is the best and should be starting every game. That is just impossible. Let the coaches do their jobs and stay the heck out of it. Besides, if it wasn't for the PARENTS there wouldn't be any politics in any sport!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to add something to this thread i have seen with my own eyes how cruel this particular coach can be she was this way about three years ago i will sya and so will everyone out their that knows the girl that was playing for her was by far the best athlete at the school abd in this sport which was comfirmed with all tournament statis and she made a face i would never forget for the rest of my life and i made sure she knew how i felt about her and still feel that way now i saw her this weekend and said hi talked for few minutes and i was off to watch my daughter play softball but i do not hold anything against her but that doesn't mean i have to like her so being cruel i have seen her be playing favorites i have seen politics i have seen so thats all i have to say about that i wish her luck but she will have to grow up and mature and when she does she will be a good coach and help rhea cty. alot

Just wanted to add something to this thread i have seen with my own eyes how cruel this particular coach can be she was this way about three years ago i will sya and so will everyone out their that knows the girl that was playing for her was by far the best athlete at the school abd in this sport which was comfirmed with all tournament statis and she made a face i would never forget for the rest of my life and i made sure she knew how i felt about her and still feel that way now i saw her this weekend and said hi talked for few minutes and i was off to watch my daughter play softball but i do not hold anything against her but that doesn't mean i have to like her so being cruel i have seen her be playing favorites i have seen politics i have seen so thats all i have to say about that i wish her luck but she will have to grow up and mature and when she does she will be a good coach and help rhea cty. alot

Is the above quote in English or some other language?

Edited by headinghome