BA vs. TSSAA Ruling In

itzme

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned Hathaway but since it's not to be found online it must be just "rumor." Even though I'm positive I read about in a newspaper way back when.

there were a number of stories surrounding Charles Hathaway back then. I can't remember all the details either, just that he was a man-child who dominated in youth bball and became a hot commodity around Nashville schools, both public and private. I think he played for J.T. Moore and was zoned for Hillsoboro, but ended up going to Hillwood because Hillwood offered a class that wasn't available at Hillsboro. I am fuzzy on the rest of the details as well but I know what you are talking about. there was some illegal contact by someone somewhere.

The history is public knowledge for those who wish to

investigate it. No one wants to go on record, and there

is no reason to "out" anyone.

A journalist needs to write a book on BA and Carlton Flatt,

similar to what was recently published on Barry Bonds.

If you don't think there are valid stories about BA, then you

must believe Barry Bonds has never used steroids.

The abuse of the recruiting rules is very similar to the abuse

of steroids in MLB. To categorically state or believe it has

never happened is not rational and not believable.

A great story could be written on this issue for Sports Illustrated.

Forget Friday Night Lights, this book could become the modern

book on high school football.

Maybe the fumes from the smoking gun have asfixiated him.

StanTrott...all innuendo...all the time!

Yeah, this is exactly like steroids in baseball. What a great analogy! :lol:

I saw this bumper sticker this morning and it reminded me of Stan and his crazy analogies. It is particularly funny if you support the right to bear arms.

"Guns kill people - just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat." :P

At least Stan didn't compare the recruiting of kids to rape like Bill did. :lol:

ksgovols...the problem is just a natural resentment for private schools. Most split proponents would never admit that but it`s true. I went to a private high school years ago and had many friends in public schools, yet I was amazed at that things folks said about private school students. Stuff like "you think you are better than us". Now how can someone say that without even knowing the person? It`s the same thing with sports. It was all fine when privates schools don`t do well and were an automatic "W" for the public school, but when they start winning the then that`s when the real feelings come out.

It`s really the public schools that just need to get over it. It`s own lack of self esteem that has them embittered. They are the ones that have really caused the stink. Give me your opinion...if private schools were really out recruiting kids then you have to assume that at least some of the kids they "recruit" don`t want to go there or either don`t want to spend the money. If it is as bad as some people want to claim it is, don`t you think that sooner or later someone somewhere is gonna turn them in? It just isn`t happening. And if it is then the publics have only themselves to blame for letting it happen. It`s time that we put everyone back together and go to a merit based system and let the good times roll.

Firstly, let's take a look at some of the things you just said. By saying they, you are generalizing the public schools as if they are the same. Are you not stereotyping public schools? Isn't that what you said you hated, when they stereotyped you? You are contradicting yourself. You hate generalizations, but yet you are doing it yourself.

Secondly, here is an example of the recruiting public schools are facing. Ensworth is a new high school. They somehow have gotten the two best players from McEwen. I know you probably don't have a clue where McEwen is, but neither does the rest of the world. Now, I ask you how did these two athletes just up and decide to leave their small world named McEwen? Recruiting that's how. Do you really think they have to pay the large tuition it is to attend there. Don't be naive. They can be put on scholarship.

Lastly, I'm not going to say all, but most kids given the chance to attend a private school in Nashville or anywhere is going to choose the private school. Let me tell you why, academics. Parents do want the best for their kids and (I hate to bring up generalizations in front of you, because I know how you "hate" them so much, Benedict Arnold) private schools have a tendacy to be known as good institutions for learning. Therefore, it is not the fault of the public schools that they cannot keep their kids. It is not like public schools are not doing the best they can with the funds they are given. However, I would like to hear you further explain yourself on the subject about stereotypes and how it is public schools own faults for not keeping the athletes at their school. By the way, Volunteergenerals are idiots. How do you like that generalization.

Firstly, let's take a look at some of the things you just said. By saying they, you are generalizing the public schools as if they are the same. Are you not stereotyping public schools? Isn't that what you said you hated, when they stereotyped you? You are contradicting yourself. You hate generalizations, but yet you are doing it yourself.

Since you are new to the discussion, I will clue you in. VoluteerGeneral is a public supporter as well as a private supporter. His kids go public. He went private. He understands the issues and the stereotyping. I doubt he meant to stereotype all public school folks. I do think it is funny though that it tossed you into a tizzy. Now you can understand the frustration that private school supporters feel when people get on here and toss out rumor, innuendo, and misinformation as if it were fact.

Secondly, here is an example of the recruiting public schools are facing. Ensworth is a new high school. They somehow have gotten the two best players from McEwen. I know you probably don't have a clue where McEwen is, but neither does the rest of the world. Now, I ask you how did these two athletes just up and decide to leave their small world named McEwen? Recruiting that's how. Do you really think they have to pay the large tuition it is to attend there. Don't be naive. They can be put on scholarship.

Don't want to speak for VoGe again ... but I'm sure he knows where McEwen is since it really isn't that far from Jackson.

On a side note, you should try to get a better understanding of how the D1 and D2 private classifications work. D2 schools can offer scholarships. I don't know what percentage of Ensworth students receive aid, but I think I remember 16% do at MBA. Get over it. It is legal. That's why they are in D2.

As for "recruiting" - Ensworth is probably the closest private to those kids, so logistically it might make sense. They may be good students as well as good athletes. If you got some "recruiting" war story how Ensworth picked the kids up on a private jet full of hot ladies and fed the kids chicken wings in a hot tub ... well then sign me up. Otherwise, it is all rumor and innuendo and unless you are one of the kids parents, I seriously doubt you know anything about their individual situations.

Lastly, I'm not going to say all, but most kids given the chance to attend a private school in Nashville or anywhere is going to choose the private school. Let me tell you why, academics. Parents do want the best for their kids and (I hate to bring up generalizations in front of you, because I know how you "hate" them so much, Benedict Arnold) private schools have a tendacy to be known as good institutions for learning. Therefore, it is not the fault of the public schools that they cannot keep their kids. It is not like public schools are not doing the best they can with the funds they are given. However, I would like to hear you further explain yourself on the subject about stereotypes and how it is public schools own faults for not keeping the athletes at their school. By the way, Volunteergenerals are idiots. How do you like that generalization.

You just made the case for us. Private schools offer better educations. And a lot of times, public schools aren't really doing the best they can. Most school systems are wrot with overspending and misutilization. How else can you explain how poorly educated some public systems (notice I said some) leave kids while privates schools spend LESS money per student to educate them?

Edited by tnsddeveloper

Once again Stan you underwhelm me with your post. "No one wants to go on record"... don't you think if there were all that much illegal things going on that sooner or later someone would be unhappy about something and blow the whistle ? ( much like Canseco in baseball ) To say this is like Bonds and steriods is stupid. Bonds added 20 lbs. of muscle in 1 year and it was very clear something changed in him. You are talking accusations that have NO PROOF. I do believe Bonds took steriods but I have yet to hear or see a story that gives me proof anything ( more than a TSSAA & Carter witch hunt ) took place at BA. Friday night lights was simply a book and movie about some good football programs in Texas. Is that what you mean when you said " this could become the modern day book on high school football " that someone could say BA had a good football program?

Get some FACTS stan then come back .. don't just accuse because it is something you don't like because of your hate for "private " schools.

tndev. nice response to camendenlion... I see is a rookie at posting again maybe he ought to get some facts first.

Once again Stan you underwhelm me with your post. "No one wants to go on record"... don't you think if there were all that much illegal things going on that sooner or later someone would be unhappy about something and blow the whistle ? ( much like Canseco in baseball ) To say this is like Bonds and steriods is stupid. Bonds added 20 lbs. of muscle in 1 year and it was very clear something changed in him. You are talking accusations that have NO PROOF. I do believe Bonds took steriods but I have yet to hear or see a story that gives me proof anything ( more than a TSSAA & Carter witch hunt ) took place at BA. Friday night lights was simply a book and movie about some good football programs in Texas. Is that what you mean when you said " this could become the modern day book on high school football " that someone could say BA had a good football program?

Get some FACTS stan then come back .. don't just accuse because it is something you don't like because of your hate for "private " schools.

tndev. nice response to camendenlion... I see he is a rookie at posting, again maybe he ought to get some facts first.

Since you are new to the discussion, I will clue you in. VoluteerGeneral is a public supporter as well as a private supporter. His kids go public. He went private. He understands the issues and the stereotyping. I doubt he meant to stereotype all public school folks. I do think it is funny though that it tossed you into a tizzy. Now you can understand the frustration that private school supporters feel when people get on here and toss out rumor, innuendo, and misinformation as if it were fact.

Don't want to speak for VoGe again ... but I'm sure he knows where McEwen is since it really isn't that far from Jackson.

On a side note, you should try to get a better understanding of how the D1 and D2 private classifications work. D2 schools can offer scholarships. I don't know what percentage of Ensworth students receive aid, but I think I remember 16% do at MBA. Get over it. It is legal. That's why they are in D2.

As for "recruiting" - Ensworth is probably the closest private to those kids, so logistically it might make sense. They may be good students as well as good athletes. If you got some "recruiting" war story how Ensworth picked the kids up on a private jet full of hot ladies and fed the kids chicken wings in a hot tub ... well then sign me up. Otherwise, it is all rumor and innuendo and unless you are one of the kids parents, I seriously doubt you know anything about their individual situations.

You just made the case for us. Private schools offer better educations. And a lot of times, public schools aren't really doing the best they can. Most school systems are wrot with overspending and misutilization. How else can you explain how poorly educated some public systems (notice I said some) leave kids while privates schools spend LESS money per student to educate them?

How do you think public school x could do in Hamilton County, if it attracted many of the top students from the city, county and area, tested them before enrollment and denied entrance to anyone not making high enough, dismissed any trouble makers, had virtually every parent supporting children and had a school full of students who actually wanted to be there and wanted to go to college following? How high would ACT/SAT scores jump? How close to 100 percent would be the number moving on to college, or would it hit 100 percent? How would the numbers drop at an MBA, BA or McCallie if just anyone was allowed to walk into a classroom? Those are unanswerable, but so is the question on if the private schools are better when you're comparing apples and oranges when it comes to students.

Edited by Indian