Quarles vs. Rankin?

Gerry Bertier

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quarles inherited a program, rankin built his own. that right there should say something.

Yes, the Maryville program was established but GQ took it to "another level".

As for smack, I heard on the Sports Animal (WNML 99.1, 99.3, 990, for those of you in Middle and West TN) yesterday Rankin said that he was not afraid of Maryville and something about how Maryville never came to him to play his Riverdale Team. When Questioned G.Q. responded that Riverdale never sought out a game with Maryville either. I don't know if this started with a reporter asking Rankin, "Are you afraid of Maryville?" or the exact context so take it with a grain of salt.

As for school districts, I still don't think all of the Rutherford County people understand the situation in Blount County. There are three distinct school systems. Systems, not districts or zones or whatever. If you live in the city of Alcoa you go to Alcoa. If you live in Maryville you go to Maryville. Unless you want to go to a County School. Since your parents pay city and county taxes you can go to either Heritage or William Blount. If you live in Blount County outside of Maryville or Alcoa you have to pay tuition to go to either Maryville or Alcoa to make up for not paying city taxes. Or if you live in Alcoa you can pay tution to Maryville and go there or if you live in Maryville you can pay Alcoa tuition and go there. See it's simple. I know of families that have had kids in multiple school systems.

Rankin is NOT afraid of anybody's school as he is not taking the hits on the field! :huh:

As to the Quarels-Rankin matchup, I give it to whichever of them has an effective passing game! If it is a pure running game, then I give it to Rankin, until Quarels learns the 6-8 plays Coach Rankin runs.

Oak Ridge learned them and used that knowledge this past season, sort of! I still think R'dale could have run more than they did.

For the first years matchup, if I was a betting man, my money would be on Maryville.

Maryville plan on 70% of hey diddle diddle we are running up the middle, and for the other 30% plan on sweeps and flanker passes. Going deep you will see maybe one play a half!

quarles inherited a program, rankin built his own. that right there should say something.

When Quarles took over as head coach (99) Maryville had won 1 State Title (98) in the past twenty years. Quarles has won five in his seven years at the helm so that statement is a little misleading.

Rankin is NOT afraid of anybody's school as he is not taking the hits on the field! :huh:

As to the Quarels-Rankin matchup, I give it to whichever of them has an effective passing game! If it is a pure running game, then I give it to Rankin, until Quarels learns the 6-8 plays Coach Rankin runs.

Oak Ridge learned them and used that knowledge this past season, sort of! I still think R'dale could have run more than they did.

For the first years matchup, if I was a betting man, my money would be on Maryville.

Maryville plan on 70% of hey diddle diddle we are running up the middle, and for the other 30% plan on sweeps and flanker passes. Going deep you will see maybe one play a half!

Yea but them six or 8 palys he runs are ran out of atleast 20 or 30 different sets. He knows how the defense will line up in each set he chooses.

When Quarles took over as head coach (99) Maryville had won 1 State Title (98) in the past twenty years. Quarles has won five in his seven years at the helm so that statement is a little misleading.

When Rankin took over as head coach (90) Riverdale had won 0 State Titles in the past 18 years. Rankin has won all 4 titles at Riverdale. he built the program. like you just said, quarles took over the year after they had won. im not saying its something not worth being applauded, but fact is he inherited a program and didnt win at the highest level like rankin. both obviously good coaches, but i'll give the edge to rankin

When Rankin took over as head coach (90) Riverdale had won 0 State Titles in the past 18 years. Rankin has won all 4 titles at Riverdale. he built the program. like you just said, quarles took over the year after they had won. im not saying its something not worth being applauded, but fact is he inherited a program and didnt win at the highest level like rankin. both obviously good coaches, but i'll give the edge to rankin

Of course you'll give the edge to Rankin, you played for him. My guess is everyone from Maryville will say Quarles is the best. Heck I played for Ken Green and think he was....nevermind I cannot even say that seriously. ByGod Ken's a heckuva man though. Anyone from up here will get what I mean.

I think this one is really hard to predict. Both guys are great coaches. I played for Rankin my freshman year and have known him for many years before that so I would like to see him win. But Maryville has so many kids compared to Alcoa. I think none of us can actually know who's gonna win until the first time they play this fall.

so if we voice our opinions its automatically wrong right? honestly i think half the stuff you say is hilarious. people know the name rankin when they talk about tennessee high school football because of his streak of dominance, cant really say the same for quarles. maybe one day, but he needs to keep up the good work about another 10 years IMO to get like rankin. it would also help if he did it at the highest level. say what you want about no difference in 4A and 5A, im just not buyin it.