Middle TN Umpires

hardhitn

Are you going to be ready by football? Someone will have to keep your white cap in line. :thumb: I guess this ends your Spring Fling streak. Sorry to hear that.

Wrong Jody. I'm smaller and better looking. :) I tore my ACL snow skiing, now can you imagine the other Jody on skis? Only kidding, don't kill me J.H.!

Edited by Jody72

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope that the ump would not have to explain something like that to a fan...maybe someone else who actually had a clue could tell her..

Like I have mentioned in earlier posts here and on other threads, everybody in the stands is an umpire. Some people should either stay at home or realize when to stay quiet...Sometimes people will continue to keep mouthing until it gets to be like a virus...the bad habit just keeps on spreading thru the stands and then everybody is acting crazy..the players do not need that.

I heard an umpire today, at a game just watching from the stands, remark:

"You know what! I just realized you CAN see balls and strikes a WHOLE LOT BETTER from here than from over there right behind the catcher! I am amazed I never noticed this before now!" Just cracked everyone up!!!! Too Funny!!!!

Edited by davidlimbaugh

"You know what! I just realized you CAN see balls and strikes a WHOLE LOT BETTER from here that from over there right behind the catcher! I am amazed I never noticed this before now!" Just cracked everyone up!!!! Too Funny!!!!

David, glad you liked that ..and also nice to finally meet you..seen u around a lot of ball fields but didnt realize who u were..once again..my pleasure..

"You know what! I just realized you CAN see balls and strikes a WHOLE LOT BETTER from here than from over there right behind the catcher! I am amazed I never noticed this before now!" Just cracked everyone up!!!! Too Funny!!!!

I heard some parents say the same thing today - and yesterday too! :rolleyes:

Back at ya! But ya know you are judged by the company ya keep.... :blink:

Couldnt really help it ..He came by my house and MADE me go..lol...Besides that your pal sitting next to you was a lot larger than who I was with!! I know I run with some tough customers but when you umpire you can run out of friends pretty quick sometimes, if you know what I mean..Binns is good one....Good to see you and will see @ the park during the district tourn..

I've seen more missed calls at 1st base than any other area. Why do you have to be a whole step past the base to be safe?

You would be surprised, if you had several of these plays on video tape, just how many 'Blue' gets right that looks wrong. I used to call myself years ago and that call is more look and hear/hear and look than thinking so it is almost hard to get it wrong as long as your in a good position to see it.. (unless your Don Denkinger in game six of a certain World Series - but no one gets them all right...)

I've seen more missed calls at 1st base than any other area. Why do you have to be a whole step past the base to be safe?

Because umpires' eyes are such highly-tuned mechanisms that we can determine within a nano-second what got there first, the runner or the ball. You as a fan, your eyes aren't that highly-tuned so you see it totally differently.:blink:

Because umpires' eyes are such highly-tuned mechanisms that we can determine within a nano-second what got there first, the runner or the ball. You as a fan, your eyes aren't that highly-tuned so you see it totally differently.;)

and don't forget that sound travels slower than light - so the further away you are the later the sound gets their than the site :blink:

Edited by davidlimbaugh

You would be surprised, if you had several of these plays on video tape, just how many 'Blue' gets right that looks wrong. I used to call myself years ago and that call is more look and hear/hear and look than thinking so it is almost hard to get it wrong as long as your in a good position to see it.. (unless your Don Denkinger in game six of a certain World Series - but no one gets them all right...)

david are you insinuating that we need instant replay in highschool baseball???????????????????????????? :thumb: