Middle TN Umpires

hardhitn

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no - not in MLB or NCAA of High School.....

just that a lot of times what you think you see with the naked eye is

different after you get to see it over again via the benefit of videotape....

David, let me tell you a couple of examples of how I responmd to someone questioning my eyesight..

1. sure I saw it well coach, I can see the moon from here and it is a go-zillion miles away!

2. coach, my eyes are good enough to be able to pick fly poop out of a pile of black pepper!!!! I am sure I can see a big old baseball in that glove!!

The umpires in Murfreesboro/District 7-AAA are great!!! I have never had a compalint with their calling.

Thank You

As far as the play at first base a lot of times it looks like he is past the bag but when the ball gets there he is half way down but when we wait and see play it looks like he is safe so if you see an umpire wait and then call it you know he got it right well you may not but we do if we call it too quick we are usually getting onto ourselves a lot more than you are

Thank You

As far as the play at first base a lot of times it looks like he is past the bag but when the ball gets there he is half way down but when we wait and see play it looks like he is safe so if you see an umpire wait and then call it you know he got it right well you may not but we do if we call it too quick we are usually getting onto ourselves a lot more than you are

You are right Riverdaleman...timing is critical in making good calls...remember..IT AINT NOTHING UNTIL THE UMP CALLS IT!!!!!!!. If you want to know what it is like to not have a friend in the whole world, then try kicking a call in a big game..you know it the second it happens and then everybody lets you know also.. A good ump realizes it and will bear down to get better and do it better from that moment on....Sometimes mistakes happen, and I do not believe that an Umpire walks on the field with the intention of screwing anybody...some are just not up to the task..some are more than capable...Even the good ones toast one every now and then,,maybe even some of our guys in the tullahoma assoc., you think?? Probably not!!LOL

You are right Riverdaleman...timing is critical in making good calls...remember..IT AINT NOTHING UNTIL THE UMP CALLS IT!!!!!!!. If you want to know what it is like to not have a friend in the whole world, then try kicking a call in a big game..you know it the second it happens and then everybody lets you know also.. A good ump realizes it and will bear down to get better and do it better from that moment on....Sometimes mistakes happen, and I do not believe that an Umpire walks on the field with the intention of screwing anybody...some are just not up to the task..some are more than :rolleyes: capable...Even the good ones toast one every now and then,,maybe even some of our guys in the tullahoma assoc., you think?? Probably not!!

Tullahoma guys miss one? No way! I for one have never missed a call in a big game. :D

I am willing to bet that you never will see that..I was at a game tonite and the plate ump made a call, might I add, absolutely correct in his call, and the fans went nutso.. They were screaming and name calling and stuff like that because they had no idea in the world what had happened..The coach knew and didnt argue at all but the fans just kept on showing their lack of class and ignorance of the situation...I doubt if they ever will understand..It took a lot of guts to make a call like that in that game but he did and never backed down..HE WAS 100% CORRECT, because he knew the rules... plus he made that call without hesitation..he KNEW the rules... What was kind of funny is the fact that only one person on the entire side of the stands knew the ump was correct and he happens to be the former coach of that school...I always find it amazing that the fans always have more knowledge and clearly a better view of the play than the umps...simply amazing!!

Correct you are.Some nights I sit behind the plate.The ump will make a correct call on a ball that is four inches out side and the fans sitting in the stands either up the first or third base line will cry like a baby and they really have no idea.Wouldnt you hate to live with them?

Correct you are.Some nights I sit behind the plate.The ump will make a correct call on a ball that is four inches out side and the fans sitting in the stands either up the first or third base line will cry like a baby and they really have no idea.Wouldnt you hate to live with them?

I dont live WITH them but I spend a extremely large amount of time between them..right behind the catcher if you know what I mean..If some of the fans could only see themselves and realize how silly and ignorant they are of the rules, I bet that they would act a whole lot different...But then again, some probably wouldnt care, they would act crazy anyway...By the way, I double checked and I was absolutely correct with the call ...no doubt..We try to be the best we can and I think honestly that our group in Tullahoma and Grundy Co. do it as good as any association in the south. Still some people act like they haven't been to town in a while..

I dont live WITH them but I spend a extremely large amount of time between them..right behind the catcher if you know what I mean..If some of the fans could only see themselves and realize how silly and ignorant they are of the rules, I bet that they would act a whole lot different...But then again, some probably wouldnt care, they would act crazy anyway...By the way, I double checked and I was absolutely correct with the call ...no doubt..We try to be the best we can and I think honestly that our group in Tullahoma and Grundy Co. do it as good as any association in the south. Still some people act like they haven't been to town in a while..

since there are several guys in blue on this thread i have a serious question <_<

make up calls...........should you or shouldn't you?

in my humble opinion as a man in the stands i hate them. if you miss one why miss two to "even it up"?...................that being said does it happen?

and cub i agree you guys do a great job

since there are several guys in blue on this thread i have a serious question :lol:

make up calls...........should you or shouldn't you?

in my humble opinion as a man in the stands i hate them. if you miss one why miss two to "even it up"?...................that being said does it happen?

and cub i agree you guys do a great job

No, never ever do a make up call. Using the old saying, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Honestly, there may be games where it looks like we do. I for one have had games where I'm stuck in some sort of "let's blow multiple calls" rut and it may be one call goes for each side, but I assure it's not on purpose. It's because I just royally stink that night. Yeah, hard to believe, but it happens.:)

No, never ever do a make up call. Using the old saying, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Honestly, there may be games where it looks like we do. I for one have had games where I'm stuck in some sort of "let's blow multiple calls" rut and it may be one call goes for each side, but I assure it's not on purpose. It's because I just royally stink that night. Yeah, hard to believe, but it happens.:lol:

thanks for your brutal honesty jody..........i got a serious chuckle out of your answer!