The Wing-T Discussion

coach763

The wing-t or multiple versions of it exist on all levels of highschool football in Tenneessee. There is a lot of success with that type of offense. But as it has already been stated on here a good solid defense usually has success in defending the wing-t. Now if the opponents offense can't move the ball or has a turnover problem then defending the wing-t is secondary.

Two obstacles for Riverdale that I see. #1 As has already been stated, no team has ever won the state title at the highest level of competition in this state running the wing-t. (Cleveland was 4-A and might have been the best team not with standing but was not at the 5-A level) Many have played for it but have never won it. The wing-t will eventually win a state title at the 5-A level but so far that has never been done. #2 Many Riverdale fans will not like the offense. The days of a dominant back that gets huge yardage are gone. The offense may be as good or better with spreading the ball around but huge player totals will be rare. Not impossible just rare. I think that many fans will not like not seeing the 1500+ yard runningbacks.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wing-t or multiple versions of it exist on all levels of highschool football in Tenneessee. There is a lot of success with that type of offense. But as it has already been stated on here a good solid defense usually has success in defending the wing-t. Now if the opponents offense can't move the ball or has a turnover problem then defending the wing-t is secondary.

Two obstacles for Riverdale that I see. #1 As has already been stated, no team has ever won the state title at the highest level of competition in this state running the wing-t. (Cleveland was 4-A and might have been the best team not with standing but was not at the 5-A level) Many have played for it but have never won it. The wing-t will eventually win a state title at the 5-A level but so far that has never been done. #2 Many Riverdale fans will not like the offense. The days of a dominant back that gets huge yardage are gone. The offense may be as good or better with spreading the ball around but huge player totals will be rare. Not impossible just rare. I think that many fans will not like not seeing the 1500+ yard runningbacks.

I agree with portions of your post and think that it is well thought out. However, I must point out that both Hillsboro in 4a (as I know has already been stated) and Portland in 3a (2000) have won championships since the turn of the century (there are probably more in the smaller classes but I realize the intent of the post). Portland's championship in 2000 was very dominant (43-0 win/15-0 regular season) where they scored nearly 600 points and had a back go for 329 in a game. Also, in the year prior (granted they fell one yard short of a title against Milan), Gerald Turner was a 2000 yard rusher and 2 time Mr. Football finalst. What's interesting about 1999 is that Murphy Fair and others left the championships saying Portland and Milan were the two best teams on the field in any class (of course, that's debatable). Although a feature back is not consistent year in and year out, but if he's a stud, he's a stud, and he'll get the yards (Turner rushed for over 5,000 in a career where Portland was 25-3 during one stretch). Bottom line: Is it improbable to win it with a wing't in 5a...no way, Coach A can and most likely will. Is it impossible to have a feature back in the wing't and still be successful at the top level...no, I wouldn't think so. Having said that, I still think there is much credibility in your post and for the most part, could be just as right as this post. That's why they play, I guess.

Edited by pressman

A good solid defense will have an even easier time defending the "I". I'll stick by my assesment of coaches and why they run the offense they do at the 5A level. I"ll also point once again to the fact that in 'Georgia the wingt is a multiple state title winner and their teams would mop the floor with the best Tennessee could put together.

• 3 months later...

Watch the Cleveland teams in the nineties. You don't think those teams would have won in 5A???My God they killed people..scored 50+ points in some games . They dominated Maryville in the nineties. Coach Monroe brought the Wing t in from playing Delaware when he coached at MTSU. He and Coach A are good friends. I think they talk or used to lol

I agree with portions of your post and think that it is well thought out. However, I must point out that both Hillsboro in 4a (as I know has already been stated) and Portland in 3a (2000) have won championships since the turn of the century (there are probably more in the smaller classes but I realize the intent of the post). Portland's championship in 2000 was very dominant (43-0 win/15-0 regular season) where they scored nearly 600 points and had a back go for 329 in a game. Also, in the year prior (granted they fell one yard short of a title against Milan), Gerald Turner was a 2000 yard rusher and 2 time Mr. Football finalst. What's interesting about 1999 is that Murphy Fair and others left the championships saying Portland and Milan were the two best teams on the field in any class (of course, that's debatable). Although a feature back is not consistent year in and year out, but if he's a stud, he's a stud, and he'll get the yards (Turner rushed for over 5,000 in a career where Portland was 25-3 during one stretch). Bottom line: Is it improbable to win it with a wing't in 5a...no way, Coach A can and most likely will. Is it impossible to have a feature back in the wing't and still be successful at the top level...no, I wouldn't think so. Having said that, I still think there is much credibility in your post and for the most part, could be just as right as this post. That's why they play, I guess.

Edited by lovehsfootball

The wing-T is a very tough offense to learn on paper much less run in a game. My high school team ran a pure wing-T my junior and senior seasons. My junior season we won 5 games with it and my senior season we won 1 game with it. After those 2 seasons i realized to run the wing-T you need quick lineman and extremley quick backs. If you run it right its hard for a defense to read but running it right is very difficult. I wouldn't reccomend this type of offense to any team.

I will agree with topper TN High ran a very good wing-t.

The wing-T is a very tough offense to learn on paper much less run in a game. My high school team ran a pure wing-T my junior and senior seasons. My junior season we won 5 games with it and my senior season we won 1 game with it. After those 2 seasons i realized to run the wing-T you need quick lineman and extremley quick backs. If you run it right its hard for a defense to read but running it right is very difficult. I wouldn't reccomend this type of offense to any team.

I agree. The Wing-T has its place if you have quick lineman and "quick to the hole" backs. Otherwise you are lunchmeat.

There could be alot of reasons a 5A team hasn't won with the wing. Probably the #1 being teams tend to copycat the best team. The best team was Riverdale and the I. The wingt is coaching intensive. Alot of coaches are intimidated by it. Its much easier to get in an I and just go downhill. The wingt to me is for coaches who are very meticulous about what they do and they are almost like a cult. <_<

Coach Monroe had a lot of luck with it at 4a at Cleveland. Coach Potter at McCallie had a lot of luck with the only offense he knows the triple option with my brother at Baylor. But he has opened it up a bit when you have an S.E.C. qb. I hope coach Monroe can do something with the 6-8 deep running backs and from all reports the fastest defense ever at Ooltewah.

See the above quote 3 straight 4A titles by Coach Monroe should be good enough. Having watched them the Cleveland teams he had were quicker than any defense at that time. Speed kills and they had it. Haven't heard anything about Ooltewah other that they are FAST. So we'll see