Maryville High School Hitting Facility

dheat

I am glad to see the new facility, it is long overdue.

On the program:

Do the departing seniors, past players, feel they had a great time on the team. Is there a sense of fairness that promotes competition. It should be a blast to be on a High School Baseball Team. It was one of the best times of my life.

How are the coaches relationship with their players, and each other. If you want to compare to the football team...compare that.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knoxville Central doesn't have its own field. They have to play home games at either Fountain City Park or Helton-Ridley Field.

I dont think a batting facility will help Maryville. They need some coaching. If Charlie or Tommy had them it would be a different story. Baseball is about fundamentals, good baseball knowledge and preparation. Some coaches have it and some dont. You dont really think you can blaim it on the lack of a baseball facility, do you?

I dont think a batting facility will help Maryville. They need some coaching. If Charlie or Tommy had them it would be a different story. Baseball is about fundamentals, good baseball knowledge and preparation. Some coaches have it and some dont. You dont really think you can blaim it on the lack of a baseball facility, do you?

Finally someone who sees the point. A practice facility is very important, more so than a field. Not having a field or practice facility speaks to the lack of commitment upon the part of the school, school board, and community not the kids. The city of Maryville has no commitment to youth baseball in any respects. The local little league, where many of the kids play their development years in run by a bunch of good ole' boys who have no commitment beyond the 13 year olds. Heck the pitchers mound on the junior/senior league is 4-6 inches "Below" home plate! How silly is that? There are many others than myself wondering why Maryville is competitive in everything else but Baseball. Some of the kids could be players if they had gotten some solid fundamental techniques. And the team would attract more talented athletes if there were some staff changes. Heck the county it’s self has only had middle school baseball for 3-4 years now. Heck the city cares more about a bunch of semi-pro softballers hitting juiced up and tightly wound “Soft” balls over short fences in the Smoky Mountain Classic every year than they do youth baseball ball. Last year a group of kids from the county at the 16 year old level won the state championship and lost in the US regional. Many of those kids don’t play in high school for various reasons. The JV has a brighter future to be sure, if there is a staff change and I’ll speculate Maryville High School will have a new baseball coach next school year.

You can attack me, my view and opinion or my kids, who are out of high school if you like but your record the past three years speaks for itself. And if you think a brand new and great practice facility is going to fix the teams competitivness, baseball you know not.

Enjoy the districts.

The batting facility should help the baseball rebels. A strong JV season is encouraging. The last couple of seasons have been disappointing no doubt. I am sure the coaching staff would be the first to shoulder at least part of the blame. I am sure the players would also be willing to take some blame. Certainly the lack of a hitting area the last 2 years could be a factor. When things are not going the way everyone likes, there is room for improvement in all areas. To say the program is not competitive is just an outright lie. Just today the rebels lost 2-0 to Farragut in the 1st round of the district tourney and had runners on base in the 6th inning with a chance to tie or take the lead. Also just 2 years ago the team won 25 games and until the last 2 years have been in the top 3 teams in their district and the knoxville area for the previous 5 or 6 years. In the last 6 years they have won the district once been runner-up 2 or 3 other times and advanced to the Regional Tournament 3 times and was one win away from the state tournament a few years ago. If I am not mistaken the same coaches were there throughout that stretch. In more high schools than not the talent of the players run in cycles thus most teams have good and bad stretches...a few short years ago South Doyle was in the middle to lower part of the standings...and this reference to charlie (William Blount's coach I presume) well they have never made it out of the district tourney since he has been the coach. Finally, lets get behind the Baseball rebels and support them and wish them the best of luck this year and into the future. It may just be me but FBE seems to get some underlying joy out of the stuggles of the baseball team...like maybe a son didn't make the team in the past or something of that nature????

The batting facility should help the baseball rebels. A strong JV season is encouraging. The last couple of seasons have been disappointing no doubt. I am sure the coaching staff would be the first to shoulder at least part of the blame. I am sure the players would also be willing to take some blame. Certainly the lack of a hitting area the last 2 years could be a factor. When things are not going the way everyone likes, there is room for improvement in all areas. To say the program is not competitive is just an outright lie. Just today the rebels lost 2-0 to Farragut in the 1st round of the district tourney and had runners on base in the 6th inning with a chance to tie or take the lead. Also just 2 years ago the team won 25 games and until the last 2 years have been in the top 3 teams in their district and the knoxville area for the previous 5 or 6 years. In the last 6 years they have won the district once been runner-up 2 or 3 other times and advanced to the Regional Tournament 3 times and was one win away from the state tournament a few years ago. If I am not mistaken the same coaches were there throughout that stretch. In more high schools than not the talent of the players run in cycles thus most teams have good and bad stretches...a few short years ago South Doyle was in the middle to lower part of the standings...and this reference to charlie (William Blount's coach I presume) well they have never made it out of the district tourney since he has been the coach. Finally, lets get behind the Baseball rebels and support them and wish them the best of luck this year and into the future. It may just be me but FBE seems to get some underlying joy out of the stuggles of the baseball team...like maybe a son didn't make the team in the past or something of that nature????

Sounds like FBE let the cat out of bag and someone don't like it. If FBE didn't care he should just remain silent like the rest. Sounds to me like FBE wants success and knows the solution.

In more high schools than not the talent of the players run in cycles thus most teams have good and bad stretches...a

That makes one appreciate guys like Thompson of Loudon and Ritz of Dobyns-Bennett--the talent goes in cycles but those two (and others) field competitive teams year-in and year-out.

The luck of talent--or creative scheduling (find me another bad A team!)--can produce a 25-win season. But if you make it to the regions something like 11 years out of 12--I think Thompson did that, and ironically Loudon was undefeated during the regular season in their district the year they didn't make it--you gotta say coaching has something to do with it.

Maryville's facility could--could--help them be year-in and year-out competitive. Maybe even "should."

Then again, I recall dedication day for another facility like that; a perceptive dad said, "That's great! Now--who we gonna find to teach inside it?" (And it wasn't sour grapes: this dad's kid was a 4-year starter and 2-year all-district player.)

Don't know anything about Maryville or its politics; just wanted to say that NO ONE in the United States of America who has aspirations of playing collegiately at a high level, not Maryville College, or professionally do not play Little League baseball. They play on summer teams that compete in tournaments such as East Cobb etc . .. so saying they finished nationally in junior league baseball is not exactly a great accomplishment nor does it reflect the succes Maryville could have if the L.L. superstars played.

That makes one appreciate guys like Thompson of Loudon and Ritz of Dobyns-Bennett--the talent goes in cycles but those two (and others) field competitive teams year-in and year-out.

The luck of talent--or creative scheduling (find me another bad A team!)--can produce a 25-win season. But if you make it to the regions something like 11 years out of 12--I think Thompson did that, and ironically Loudon was undefeated during the regular season in their district the year they didn't make it--you gotta say coaching has something to do with it.

Maryville's facility could--could--help them be year-in and year-out competitive. Maybe even "should."

Then again, I recall dedication day for another facility like that; a perceptive dad said, "That's great! Now--who we gonna find to teach inside it?" (And it wasn't sour grapes: this dad's kid was a 4-year starter and 2-year all-district player.)

Well congratulations to DB and Loudon...I forgot they don't have to get through Bearden, SD, WB, and oh yeah there was one more i believe its Farragut to get to regions and then Halls to get to Sub-State...I mean good lord people this district has produced players like Craig Cobb, Kyle Waldrop, Wojo (WB), Sprowl (Bearden) Lance McClain, Kirkland (SD), Derrick Calkin, Tony Delmonico, Ryan Holland, Chad Bell, Cody Hawn, Andrew Clement, and I am sure i have left out a few...this is all in the last 5-6 years...I really don't think that many more districts can compete with those names and Maryville has a pretty good record the last 7 years against those teams that those guys played for, and a few have come from Maryville...I bet its Coach Pharr's fault that Farragut is having a down year...let's all Tar and Feather him in the middle of Knoxville...Last time i checked we have played one of the toughest schedules of anybody...we haven't upset anybody but the teams we play are really good and we have kept every one of them in check for the most part. Now i bet if SD has a down year two years from now after they lose Bell, Holland, Hawn, and others that the people at SD will not be automatically calling for Robbie's job...and in reply to the part where FBE may know the solution...he doesn't...he is part of the problem...and FBE how many games have you come to...have you seen the games that we have played or do you just read the papers...thats what i thought...so SHUT IT!...and to DHEAT thanks for the support...you are one of few that know what kind of krap we have had to deal with the last two years...and oh yeah....DHEAT, the next 6 months are going to be tough, i have to sit out next year because of rehab and then i have to actually get back to where i was before the injury...i will keep in touch though.

Well congratulations to DB and Loudon...I forgot they don't have to get through Bearden, SD, WB, and oh yeah there was one more i believe its Farragut to get to regions and then Halls to get to Sub-State...I mean good lord people this district has produced players like Craig Cobb, Kyle Waldrop, Wojo (WB), Sprowl (Bearden) Lance McClain, Kirkland (SD), Derrick Calkin, Tony Delmonico, Ryan Holland, Chad Bell, Cody Hawn, Andrew Clement, and I am sure i have left out a few...this is all in the last 5-6 years...I really don't think that many more districts can compete with those names and Maryville has a pretty good record the last 7 years against those teams that those guys played for, and a few have come from Maryville...I bet its Coach Pharr's fault that Farragut is having a down year...let's all Tar and Feather him in the middle of Knoxville...Last time i checked we have played one of the toughest schedules of anybody...we haven't upset anybody but the teams we play are really good and we have kept every one of them in check for the most part. Now i bet if SD has a down year two years from now after they lose Bell, Holland, Hawn, and others that the people at SD will not be automatically calling for Robbie's job...and in reply to the part where FBE may know the solution...he doesn't...he is part of the problem...and FBE how many games have you come to...have you seen the games that we have played or do you just read the papers...thats what i thought...so SHUT IT!...and to DHEAT thanks for the support...you are one of few that know what kind of krap we have had to deal with the last two years...and oh yeah....DHEAT, the next 6 months are going to be tough, i have to sit out next year because of rehab and then i have to actually get back to where i was before the injury...i will keep in touch though.

I'm sorry, what part of me saying something nice about two coaches made you angry? That connection doesn't jump out at me.

Farragut finished what, third or fourth in the district? And won a lot of games against a tough schedule? I think you accusing Coach Pharr of having a down season is just because you expected too much of them this year. They're competitive. They're still in the tournament. So...if they're having a down year, talent-wise, and they still end up going through to the region--which they may do--it seems like an example of that good coaching I was talking about. Just that they're challenging for it does, seems to me.

FBE has to "SHUT IT" because he doesn't go to games but justs reads about them in the paper? Interesting notion. By the same rule, how is it that you can comment on the teams Loudon and D-B play? Were you at those games or just read about them in the paper? I saw from your schedule that you were probably at one D-B game this year--they also beat S-D, BTW. Science Hill beat Halls. And I notice that you are a little familiar with Loudon's district, as you lost to Anderson County. No shame in that, they beat William Blount, too.

Of course, I wasn't at those games, I just read the schedule.

Hey FBE sounds like you hit a touchy one. Wondering is it all politics or lack of baseball knowledge?

I would feel sorry for them if it was just lack of baseball smarts.

I hear Maryville has more great athletes walking the halls than playing except for football. Wonder when they will wake up or maybe its all just politics and they dont care?

How many kids have to quit before someone starts asking why? 11-20 is a joke no matter what district. It's time for a change.

Edited by MakoShark

Hey FBE sounds like you hit a touchy one. Wondering is it all politics or lack of baseball knowledge?

I would feel sorry for them if it was just lack of baseball smarts.

I hear Maryville has more great athletes walking the halls than playing except for football. Wonder when they will wake up or maybe its all just politics and they dont care?

How many kids have to quit before someone starts asking why? 11-20 is a joke no matter what district. It's time for a change.

WB plays Maryville since they beat Seveirville easily. Should be another grudge match.

Hey FBE "shut up" we like it this way :thumb:. Correction now 11-20, wow!