Classification changes

Indian

http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/e2007...enrollments.htm

Here are a few, but I don't think they start until the year after next. It does show what could happen when all of them are classified again, I expect several will move up or move down. Seq went to 578 from around 510 in 2 years and has a 200+ 8th grade class coming in. It looks like Rhea and Walker Valley might move up to 5A football if I looked at it right on those, and then there are 2 new schools opening in Chattanooga that could shake the area regions around.

Edited by Indian

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few, but I don't think they start until the year after next. It does show what could happen when all of them are classified again, I expect several will move up or move down. Seq went to 578 from around 510 in 2 years and has a 200+ 8th grade class coming in. It looks like Rhea and Walker Valley might move up to 5A football if I looked at it right on those, and then there are 2 new schools opening in Chattanooga that could shake the area regions around.

Would those go in effect within the 2 year period or wait until the next 4 year cycle. I know Mt.Juliet was looking to move back to 5-A soon.

Would those go in effect within the 2 year period or wait until the next 4 year cycle. I know Mt.Juliet was looking to move back to 5-A soon.

I think the ones listed were mid-cycle changes, those that moved 20 percent and it was enough to go into a new class. I think I looked wrong on Rhea and WV, they might still stay in 4A.

One of the interesting ones in our area I saw was Marion County dropping under 500 from 521 to 478 and of course Sequatchie County going from 517 to 578.

There is no doubt that Maryville would still do well in 5A, however, 4A is the easiest to compete in. Look at all the 5A teams that drop down and win in 4A and they can't even compete in 5A

I did do a little reseach on this to see how many 5A teams dropped down to win a 4A state championship. Since the move from 3 classes to 5 in 1993, Cleveland has won 3 state championships. Since they were in '93, '94, 'and '95 they obviously did not drop down from 5A. Maryville has won 6. I could be wrong, but I think they have been 4A since the reclassification in 1993. Pearl-Cohn won in '96 and '97. Did they drop down from 5A? The other 3 state chamions were Hillsboro, Memphis East and Melrose. Again, I do not know if any of them came from 5A. I did also notice that Brentwoon Academy lost the '93 4A state title game, then moved up to 5A and won the '96 state championship. I said all that to say this, I do not think that 4A is the easiest to compete in. I will also say that since my high school is 4A I cannot wait for Maryville to go to 5A. I would also love to see Maryville play Oak Ridge and Dobyns-Bennett. Those could be some great games.