Can anyone beat Brentwood

mack6

the fact is brentwood did lose many important parts of the team last year including most of the defense and midfield. now they have to replace those positions with younger players and it is going to take more than a season for them to get used to each other. they played together all year and still weren't meshing well enough to win it so it wouldn't have mattered whether they were playing a christian bros or not. they need time to get used to playing with each other and figuring out one another's strengths and weaknesses. last year, it wasn't that brentwood was amazing (even though we were :) ), it was the fact that we had all played with each other for years. i knew if someone messed up, i would cover them and vice versa. team chemistry is most important if you want to win. they aren't to that point yet where they know what their teammate will do before he does it, but they will be soon enough.

for those strength of schedule people, the brentwood head coach just finished his 3rd year and has been criticized for playing weak teams every year. state semifinalist, state champs, state quarterfinalist. sounds like a pretty successful program to me by any standards. i'm not gonna deny that playing harder teams will make your team better, but i think in brentwood's case this year it wouldn't have mattered. they just need a little more time playing together. with such a young team that is packed with talent, they should be doing great in the next few years.

i disagree, look at Bearden, they had to learn how to 'mesh' this year and they did so by playing hard games and learning as they went.

Playing a harer schedule for a new team is essential because it makes them work hard consistently and forces them to make runs or to pass. Playing a weak schedule for a fresh team is hurtful because the team will get used to playing at a lower level and never realizing how they have to play when they hit the 'big boys'

I think Brentwood should puh for a hard schedule next season and see how they turn out.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree, look at Bearden, they had to learn how to 'mesh' this year and they did so by playing hard games and learning as they went.

Playing a harer schedule for a new team is essential because it makes them work hard consistently and forces them to make runs or to pass. Playing a weak schedule for a fresh team is hurtful because the team will get used to playing at a lower level and never realizing how they have to play when they hit the 'big boys'

I think Brentwood should puh for a hard schedule next season and see how they turn out.

we have been trying to push our coach into a harder schedule for the past 2 years....itll happen when he wants it to. Brentwood wont be as strong next year as pervious years and this will be a rebuilding year for them and i look to see how well they actually do

we have been trying to push our coach into a harder schedule for the past 2 years....itll happen when he wants it to. Brentwood wont be as strong next year as pervious years and this will be a rebuilding year for them and i look to see how well they actually do

It does seem like I remember comments about Brentwood's (and others) schedule last year and maybe the year before as well. It is obvious Brentwood is having a good deal of overall success so it's hard to be critical of the coach's scheduling philosophy.

I do think harder schedules can definitely benefit the team's growth and development, but only if the coaches, players and, most of all the parents, handle adversity properly. A thorough whipping or two will motivate some people while others will become negative and divisive. I think you have to build in an institutional attitude toward scheduling at each school over a number of years. After a few year's, it gets to be expected that your team will play as tough a schedule as it can stand to improve speed of play, etc.,; however, it will be understood that undefeated results are unlikely.

Farraguts' huge loss in South Carolina (10-1) would have caused some programs to come unglued. At Farragut it became a rallying call. I think Farragut's schedule was as much a part of their success this year as anything else. It helped a young team grow up and watch out next year.

lets face it, a hard schedule for a good team is ALWAYS beneficial. It did not seem as if Brentwood could play at such a fast pace, they lost alot of 50/50 balls probably because they have never really had to work for them consistently like other teams.

Not only does it help teams it helps individual players to get used to playing at a fast level and exerting every thing in the game.

Brentwood really doesn't do to bad in the important games they play each year

( district regular season and post season).

I think against Bearden they played very poorly against a team that was on a mission, had a great game plan and came out and beat the stew out of Brentwood.

It doesn't happen often, and being at state magnified the loss but I don't think Brentwood will change much becuase of it. Bearden deserves a lot of credit for their championship and the way they won each of their games at state.

Over the last three years Brentwood has won their District regular season championship three time, they have won their district tournament three times, they have won their region tournament three times, they have one their sectional game three times. They have a state semifinalist team, a state champion team and a state quarterfinalist team.

Out of 27 post season games they could have played, they played 24. Their record in those 24 games is 22 wins and 2 losses. The program seems to be one that most schools would like to have. I am sure they will be back next year and try to get back to state once again, but like I said, doesn't seem like they need to change the way they do things. I bet they would like a regular season game with Bearden though.

I've been the biggest complainer about Brentwood's schedule over the years.

Last year's championship was an exception. Teams that play easy schedules just aren't ready at the end. Last year, it took a fortunate game vs. Farragut (Farragut still out-played Brentwood that game), a "luck-of-the-draw" semi-final game against Blackman (any team should be so lucky to get that team at that stage of the tournament), then the finals vs. a rival (rivalry games can always go either way regardless of the teams playing)

The speed, the pressure of every touch of the ball, the importance of each decision. . .

You don't get that winning too many 8-0 games.

Oh, and it isn't that impressive that Brentwood wins the district and region every year. Look at who they compete against. No offence, but these aren't the tough teams that most other top teams have to get past.

They will probably be back next year, not because the coach does such a great job, but because noone else is good enough to stop them.

I've been the biggest complainer about Brentwood's schedule over the years.

Last year's championship was an exception. Teams that play easy schedules just aren't ready at the end. Last year, it took a fortunate game vs. Farragut (Farragut still out-played Brentwood that game), a "luck-of-the-draw" semi-final game against Blackman (any team should be so lucky to get that team at that stage of the tournament), then the finals vs. a rival (rivalry games can always go either way regardless of the teams playing)

The speed, the pressure of every touch of the ball, the importance of each decision. . .

You don't get that winning too many 8-0 games.

Oh, and it isn't that impressive that Brentwood wins the district and region every year. Look at who they compete against. No offence, but these aren't the tough teams that most other top teams have to get past.

They will probably be back next year, not because the coach does such a great job, but because noone else is good enough to stop them.

You sound pretty bitter about the success Brentwood enjoys.

But you are probably right, no other district or region in the state has such weak teams.

Maybe one day those other teams will get better and Brentwood will schedule harder teams so that your life won't be so unfulfilled. But then what would you have to complain about?

You sound pretty bitter about the success Brentwood enjoys.

But you are probably right, no other district or region in the state has such weak teams.

Maybe one day those other teams will get better and Brentwood will schedule harder teams so that your life won't be so unfulfilled. But then what would you have to complain about?

Lets go over this "success". They play in District 11-AAA, which, up until this year, didn't include Ravenwood as a viable threat. They only teams that have been a constant threat at playoff time in the District is Franklin, and occasionally Centennial. Brentwood has always gotten either a #1 or #2 seed in the district, so their first game has been against a #7 or #8 seed, which usually included such "powerhouses" as Hickman Co., Hillwood, and Spring Hill. So Brentwood always wins their first round game with a bang. Their second round game has NEVER included playing Franklin, and usually includes playing Hillsboro (which is decent) and or Centennial. While both of these teams play an average game of soccer, Brentwood has always been on a higher lever. So they usually win round two. They go to the Districk Finals, where they DONT HAVE TO WIN TO ADVANCE. However, I believe that over the last 6 or 7 years they've won the majority of District Championships.

The region that 11-AAA plays against is a joke. Teams like Antioch, McGavock, etc. just dont play well enough to beat the Bruins. Brentwood wins round 1 of regions. Is the regional finals. Once again, Brentwood DOESN'T HAVE TO WIN TO ADVANCE. However, they usually play a 11-AAA team again.

We recently added the sectionals part of state. In the first year of sectionals, Brentwood was stunned by Clarksville in this portion of the tournament. However, sense then, they've had their way.

This brings us to state. On the road to state, Brentwood only plays one, maybe two quality programs. This has effected them when they've gotten to this level, with the exception of last year. I didn't get to see state last year, so I cannot comment on it.

Brentwood has one of the best soccer programs in the state. But until they start playing a schedule that challenges them in the slightest, they'll be booking one day trips to Murfreesboro.

Lets go over this "success". They play in District 11-AAA, which, up until this year, didn't include Ravenwood as a viable threat. They only teams that have been a constant threat at playoff time in the District is Franklin, and occasionally Centennial. Brentwood has always gotten either a #1 or #2 seed in the district, so their first game has been against a #7 or #8 seed, which usually included such "powerhouses" as Hickman Co., Hillwood, and Spring Hill. So Brentwood always wins their first round game with a bang. Their second round game has NEVER included playing Franklin, and usually includes playing Hillsboro (which is decent) and or Centennial. While both of these teams play an average game of soccer, Brentwood has always been on a higher lever. So they usually win round two. They go to the Districk Finals, where they DONT HAVE TO WIN TO ADVANCE. However, I believe that over the last 6 or 7 years they've won the majority of District Championships.

The region that 11-AAA plays against is a joke. Teams like Antioch, McGavock, etc. just dont play well enough to beat the Bruins. Brentwood wins round 1 of regions. Is the regional finals. Once again, Brentwood DOESN'T HAVE TO WIN TO ADVANCE. However, they usually play a 11-AAA team again.

We recently added the sectionals part of state. In the first year of sectionals, Brentwood was stunned by Clarksville in this portion of the tournament. However, sense then, they've had their way.

This brings us to state. On the road to state, Brentwood only plays one, maybe two quality programs. This has effected them when they've gotten to this level, with the exception of last year. I didn't get to see state last year, so I cannot comment on it.

Brentwood has one of the best soccer programs in the state. But until they start playing a schedule that challenges them in the slightest, they'll be booking one day trips to Murfreesboro.

You sound pretty bitter about the success Brentwood enjoys Mr. Rock.

I wonder if Franklin or Ravenwood or even Centennial would consider their season to be a success if they won the District regular season championship, the District Tournament, the Regional finals, a sectional game and went to the State Tournament? What do you think? or is it only Brentwood that shouldn't consider it successful?

I am not sure what you meant about the "DOESN'T HAVE TO WIN TO ADVANCE" emphasis, are you saying the other team has to win? shouldn't it be that neither team has to win to advance? or does that only apply to Brentwood?

I'd say that a one day trip to the Boro is better than a no day trip to the Boro.

I am pretty sure that Brentwood has never lost to Clarksville but maybe you are right, you usually don't make mistakes on the factual stuff.

Anyway I imagine Bretnwood will do ok next year, at least they give you something to talk about.

I wonder if Franklin or Ravenwood or even Centennial would consider their season to be a success if they won the District regular season championship, the District Tournament, the Regional finals, a sectional game and went to the State Tournament? What do you think? or is it only Brentwood that shouldn't consider it successful?

I am not sure what you meant about the "DOESN'T HAVE TO WIN TO ADVANCE" emphasis, are you saying the other team has to win? shouldn't it be that neither team has to win to advance? or does that only apply to Brentwood?

I'd say that a one day trip to the Boro is better than a no day trip to the Boro.

I am pretty sure that Brentwood has never lost to Clarksville but maybe you are right, you usually don't make mistakes on the factual stuff.

Anyway I imagine Bretnwood will do ok next year, at least they give you something to talk about.

i am happy for Brentwood and their success, but if they want more success they need to consistently play harder teams, there is no arguement that can logically say that playing weak teams will help a team win state more than playing strong teams.

Maybe Brentwood should hit up one of those tournaments, Bearden had a really strong tournament this year. A team that made it to state from every division was there. I believe Gtown Houston has a strong tournament every year as well.

I think tournaments are a great idea, not only can you get strong opponents you also get the feel of a true tournament (state) and having to play 3 (or however many) games in a short amount of time.

bruinsoccer said:

"I've been the biggest complainer about Brentwood's schedule over the years."

Why is that, bruinsoccer? You don't have any connection to Brentwood, so why do you care so much? That seems to be the theme of most of your postings. odd....

It was actually Smyrna, not Clarksville, who defeated Brentwood in the game I speak of. My apologies.

Let me parallel Brentwood's situation to the Atlanta Braves. The Braves have won (I believe) their division 14 straight times. While that is a great accomplishment, the fact that they choke in the playoffs year after year doesn't please the folks in Atlanta.

When Centennial went to State, they celebrated because they had never been. But a team like Brentwood should expect more. Their program has become a competitor year in and year out for the championship. My point is that because of that, they should do everything they can to prepare for state. They did not do that this year. And they were taken behind the woodshed and beaten.

My point about Brentwoods road to state is that it is not difficult! They need to start playing out of state teams, as well as Division II teams. It will help them come playoff time.

i understand and agree with the harder schedule. i want brentwood to play harder teams and see how they do, but i still don't think it would have helped them that much this year. say what you want, but most of you are in no way affiliated with the team and are just speculating. i personally believe that this year's team wouldn't have won the bearden game even if they had played the toughest schedule in the state. they just seemed too young to be able to repeat. playing harder teams may get you playing a little better, but there is no replacement for experience. it's not like all the young players aren't playing hard enough teams anyways, i'm pretty sure a lot of them are on tnfc.

it's fine if you wanna rag on brentwood for the easy games that they schedule. it happens every year and everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but there's no point in complaining about the strength of their district and region. they can't help that. i don't know why bruinsoccer hates brentwood :lol: , but i expect rock to be bitter because i think he played for centennial :lol: