Maryville and 5A

REBELRON

He should call you CLASSACTRON. You are truly the ambassador of Maryville football on this site.

Just remember, as long as MHS is still catching flak on this board, then all is well in Maryville. It's when people stop making their petty remarks about MHS that it's time to start worrying.

Rollredroll

Thanks for the kind words. I will definately agree with the last paragraph you wrote. I remember when Jeff Gordon asked Dale Earnhardt in 1994. "Does it bother you that they boo you?" Earnhardt told Gordon "When they quit booing you it is over"

You have said Ravenwood would have beaten Maryville. And No 5A school has won that many games because they are playing better competition. Why don't you do a combined won/loss record of all the teams Ravenwood and Maryville both played last year. Since they both played 15 games it should be a pretty good comparison.

I don't know what good comparing their schedules would do since the majority of Maryville's schedule is ahainst 4A and Ravenwood's is against 5A. Just because I think 5A is better than 4A does not mean I resent Maryville. Could you show me where I belittled Maryville. All I asked is if Maryville's enrollment is high enough to have them be in 5A.

Pepvol, Rebron, MHS and others have said it the best.

I am also tired of trying to explain why I think there is little difference in 4A from 5A in Tennessee HS Football. Maryville could request to play in 5A if the school admistrators wanted to, but the fact that they have not done so does not make the players, coaches and others cowards. The school playes within the frame work of the rules with that of class and the diginity of champions and well represent the commuinity and school. The past 10 years NO program in any class has won the football games Maryville has won reguardless of class and I am humbled to apart of the program in a very small way.

I am done with this thread go Reb's!

Mikey,

Brother Bounder has threatened us with time out and we have worn this out anyway so this is my last post on this one.

I disagree with your stance that combined won/loss of opponents is inconsequential because of 4A and 5A. WHY MUST YOU PUT ALL OF YOUR EGGS IN THE 5A BASKET????? That is what we will never agree on. Based on your statement that it would do no good to compare the records because of the classification difference then any 5A team is better than Maryville just because they are 5A correct? I think the overall opponents record is a very good measuring stick because it would show what type of 5A competition Ravenwood played and what kind of 4A Maryville played. Your stance seems to be ALL 5A teams are better than ALL 4A teams. If that were true how come Maryville pastes Heritage and Wm Blount on a regular basis and those two 5A schools dropped 2A Alcoa from their schedules? By the way if my calculator worked the overall won/loss of Ravenwood opponents was 99-72 and Maryville's was 110-67. I'd call that about a wash. Although I am sure that there were several of the 5A teams Ravenwood played that Alcoa (2A) would have beaten. I would also say Alcoa could have played with Ravenwood this year. Maryville was the only team who "hung" with Alcoa and beat them 41-20. Maryville is Alcoa's only loss in each of the past two seasons. If Maryville played Ravenwood last year? Should have been a good game.

Yes Maryville has the numbers to move to 5A and in post numbers 266 and 267 of this thread i went into great detail as to why they have not, but like a couple of others no one responded to those posts. Yes I have spoken to members of the administration on this before. Look at any athletic dept or school system budget in general in today's world and I believe most administrators would be much more concerned about revenues and expenses as opposed to "we proved someone wrong on coacht".

Many people have tried to diminish what Maryville has accomplished over the past few years and the easiest way to do it is to point out the fact that they do not play in the highest classification. Since the beginning of the 2000 season they are 83-6 and have won five State championships. Call us dumb but we are proud of that. Any community would be.

I actually forgot the discussion on this board since it started when Nixon was still in office. 1. Maryville chicken of 5A? 2. Maryville mediocre at best in 5A? 3. Maryville could not beat Ravenwood? 4. 5A is head and shoulders better than 4A?

Your belief seems to be all of the above with an emphasis on number 4. Again i agree to disagree. You posted earlier that Maryville has more students than Ravenwood, and made kind of an issue of that. You kind of proved my point right there. THERE IS NOT THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE. If i misjudged you i apologize. In terming your as a belittler, to me it simply looked like you were bending yourself into a pretzel to place an imaginary asterik by everything Maryville has accomplished. Not saying you are a hater. But not a huge fan for sure. But its all good. Not sure who your team is but best of luck to them.

Edited by mhs

I will be glad when this tread is dead and any hard feelings between Maryville and Oak Ridge fans can be forgotten. In the past, I have posted three times on this thread and if I have hurt the feelings of any Maryville fan then I am sorry.

Best of luck in Class AAAA Maryville.

Best of luck in Class AAAAA Oak Ridge!

I can assure you Willie , It would take a lot more than a couple of disgruntled fans ( Oak Ridge , or other ) for the Maryville fans not to support Oak Ridge . Oak Ridge will always have my respect . True Champions will always admire other Champions .

I can assure you Willie , It would take a lot more than a couple of disgruntled fans ( Oak Ridge , or other ) for the Maryville fans not to support Oak Ridge . Oak Ridge will always have my respect . True Champions will always admire other Champions .

There is no other 5A team from the East that I would rather represent us than Oak Ridge's Wildcats.

Please, putting all negative comments away, can anyone close to the OR program ask the Coach or AD if they have ever considered contacting Maryville for a game in Week Zero? This seems to clearly be the short term answer in regard to the schedules.

Maryville could alternate playing Wm Blount and Heritage. Oak Ridge could drop Clinton. The money for the schools would flow and all of us would be flat out giddy.

Also, it appears Maryville is loaded for '06. Will OR get back to Murfreesboro this year?

There is no other 5A team from the East that I would rather represent us than Oak Ridge's Wildcats.

Please, putting all negative comments away, can anyone close to the OR program ask the Coach or AD if they have ever considered contacting Maryville for a game in Week Zero? This seems to clearly be the short term answer in regard to the schedules.

Maryville could alternate playing Wm Blount and Heritage. Oak Ridge could drop Clinton. The money for the schools would flow and all of us would be flat out giddy.

Also, it appears Maryville is loaded for '06. Will OR get back to Murfreesboro this year?

Said I was done, sorry I told one!

PepVol & 03, classy posts and Indeed!

Maryville could alternate playing Wm Blount and Heritage. Oak Ridge could drop Clinton.

If that has to be the short-term answer, then, we should just wait. These games have tradition, football in Blount County wouldn't be the same, and I'm sure it is the same way with OR and Clinton. You cannot drop them on a whim, because some guys from CoachT.com want to see a Maryville vs. OR game, when Maryville will be moving up soon anyway. Those games generate alot of revenue for the County, and do not need to be touched.

• 4 weeks later...

i agree that maryville is one of the great football programs in the state, 2 weeks ago their rugby team played in the state championship game against brentwood and lost 52-7. i know that we cannot compare rugby to football but i don't believe maryville will be walking away with a lot of gold balls in 5a football.

i dont think the rugby comment wasnt a good analogy to use.... rugby is the band kids tryin to play football... i think maryville, with our coaching staff, could and would compete with 5a EASY... DB has not been good lately.. ootelwah is not that decent as the team has been... farragut is ok ... oak ridge would turn into another lineup like us and alcoa.. oak ridge would be the only contender ...thats it.. and those who may say we are little girls for not playin with the big boys.. well its not our problem we dont have enough students or else we would play with you all and we would win.. a lot

Edited by bp_rebel

i dont think the rugby comment wasnt a good analogy to use.... rugby is the band kids tryin to play football... i think maryville, with our coaching staff, could and would compete with 5a EASY... DB has not been good lately.. ootelwah is not that decent as the team has been... farragut is ok ... oak ridge would turn into another lineup like us and alcoa.. oak ridge would be the only contender ...thats it.. and those who may say we are little girls for not playin with the big boys.. well its not our problem we dont have enough students or else we would play with you all and we would win.. a lot

You have more students than the defending 5A champions. I really hope you were not trying to compare all rugby players to band kids.

Not so fast there fella, some of those "Band kids" did play football. J Killebrew and a kid named Chris Campbell were on that Maryville Rugby team and were very good football players. Killebrew started for two state championship games on the D line for Maryville and Campbell was a killer at the middle school level who choose not to play football. Wish he had played Football, he would have been a killer there as well. Besides the team was made up of players from most all of the schools in blount county, but if Blount County wanted to get behind Rugby, they would kick Brentwoods bottom at that as well.