Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

Keys to a Maryville win next friday will be.

Can they pass protect against Rae Sykes? I feel like Maryville can pass on Alcoa. No one on Alcoa's team can guard Maples one on one. Steven Shiver,Tyler Clendenen and Aaron Douglas are good targets.

Will Tank be healthy enough? With Tank in there I feel like Maryville's offense will be able to get those 3rd and 1 or 2 with consistancy. He will get those tough yards. He gives the offense balance.

I expect Alcoa to try to go wide on Maryville. I feel like Maryville has enough team speed to slow Alcoa down. Maryville's defensive tackles need to play well. I worry about Alcoa going to the power I with Shiverdecker at tailback and Stultz and Hicks as fullbacks.

Takayuki Koyano is a weapon. He needs to kick every kickoff in the end zone. I don't want Alcoa to return a single kickoff. Punting game needs to get better. Getting another punt blocked against Alcoa could be fatal.

Maryville needs to bring the same intensity that they brought last season to Alcoa.

If Alcoa does decide to man up on the corners, Sommers would be the one I'd put on Maples. He did have 11 or 12 picks last yr, and can hit with the best of them. I heard UT offered him, is that true??

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the Rebs do have a weakness on the team would it be the D line?? I've heard good and bad things about the D line so far. I heard they were smaller than past D lines. I've never seen a small line at Maryville, so I doubt that the line is too small!

I plan on getting to the game by 5:15 or 5:30. The visiting side is very small and I want a good seat!

I dont see Rae as a factor, the last 2 years Maryville has ran away from Brandon Warren on every play, and who did they run right at??? That would be Rae. Rae is a great athlete with a lot of potential, but he stands up way to much on defense and Maryville has used this to their advantage in the past years with their great technique on the offensive line.

I think the Power I formation will give Maryville some trouble. The offensive line looked really good in scrimmages and the jamboree, and not to mention the beef and hard hitting that Hicks and Stultz bring from fullback. Shivy also looked great, seems to have got a lot better. Alcoa will be successful with this, but not all game long.

I look at this game just like Maryville's state championship games have been in the past. Everybody thought Maryville would get beat, but the coaching staff came through for them by making good adjustments, by varying up formations and play calling, and by using some trick plays. These are the things that Alcoa must do, and it will be hard against GQ, but he is mortal, and I have confidence in Rankin and his staff.

Maryville fans.......what would be a good time to arrive at the stadium for a good seat, I was thinking about 530.

530 might be soon enough. That is usually when the gates open but the AD said Friday that they would open at 5 for the Alcoa game in case you want to come a little earlier.

If Alcoa does decide to man up on the corners, Sommers would be the one I'd put on Maples. He did have 11 or 12 picks last yr, and can hit with the best of them. I heard UT offered him, is that true??

If Alcoa mans up with the Maryville receivers then they are D-E-A-D. Kyrus is not physical enough...... Sommers can not hang with Maples and Green..too short. Maryville's receivers are Maples at 6'1-2". Shiver at 6'3" and 210., Douglas at 6'6" and 240. Alcoa will have a tough time defending that. JMO....

There is a rumor on Volquest that Sommer commited to UT after the scrimmage saturday night.

If Alcoa mans up with the Maryville receivers then they are D-E-A-D. Kyrus is not physical enough...... Sommers can not hang with Maples and Green..too short. Maryville's receivers are Maples at 6'1-2". Shiver at 6'3" and 210., Douglas at 6'6" and 240. Alcoa will have a tough time defending that. JMO....

I'm sure they won't be in man most of the time, but if they do go man, then the front four better get pressure on the QB. I wish teams played man when I was playing!! We had one of the best secondarys in the state and we never played man. You just didn't see man back in the days! We had wayyyy too much speed for most teams though! :thumb:

I'm sure they won't be in man most of the time, but if they do go man, then the front four better get pressure on the QB. I wish teams played man when I was playing!! We had one of the best secondarys in the state and we never played man. You just didn't see man back in the days! We had wayyyy too much speed for most teams though! :thumb:

You still have too much speed for most teams. If Alcoa contines this tallent run I would think they would get bored continuing to play in 2A. Your tallent is high 4A IMO.

This game should be interesting. I love the I formation that Rankin has installed and was somewhat surprised by the size of Alcoa's O-line. If Alcoa is able to win the TOP they have a chance. Of course turnovers may play a big part but I'm expecting a close game being decided in the 4th quarter.

This game can and probably will be close (by close could be 21-20 or 35-21)

Everyone keeps goin back to last years "over rated" alcoa team that had the big head. Thats not this years team. Talent wise they might be better they might not. Coaching wise they are 10000000000 Times better then they were before. I said 3 years ago Reid was a worthless coach and i still believe it to this day. Alcoa will be good and will probably be back in the Boro this year but they CAN roll in there at 14-0 So all Maryville fans shouldnt fool themselves by thinking that at any given day or time they can just squash Alcoa.

I honestly believe and always have thought that Maryville Schedule is a cake walk. Is Alcoas easy? Yes for the talent they have year in and year out their schedule is easy but Maryvills is a cake walk. With the exception of Knox Central and MAYBE Mo West, NOBODY in their region will even make the game look interesting. I know Powel and knox west like to think they can play with maryville but they simply cant. Maryville vs ANYONE on their schedule (other then Alcoa, Central, Mo West) I would bet my life, car, money and anything else i have on MARYVILLE)

I hands down do not think that 5a ball is "premier" football, at least not in Tennessee. Top to bottom i think 1A and 2A levels are more competitive. Followed by 4a. No im not saying 1a and 2a teams are better then 4a teams im just saying its more competitive and entertaining.

Everyone wants to see Maryville vs Riverdale..i dont know why ONLY people that tooted Riverdales horn were themselves. Maryville would beat Riverdale just as easily as they would be any of their 4a schools. 5A ball isnt competitive. If Maryville stays in 4a they will continue to have a easy path to Boro. If they move up they will still have an easy path until probably playoff times (Minus DB and MAYBE OR)

Now back to the game...Can Maryville Destroy Alcoa? Yes! Will Maryville beat Alcoa easily?? History seems to say so. Does that mean that Alcoa shouldnt show up and we should just cancel this game cause EVERYONE "Knows" that Maryville will win? NO. The only people that think Maryville will win are Maryville Fans and people who have the lack of faith in underdogs AND Alcoa. It doesnt matter if the over all history is 100-3 Maryville, Alcoa can still say THEY CAN BEAT MARYVILLE.

We dont decide who wins or loses, CoachT cant say whos gonna win. Thats why we play the game. The game could be maryville big or maryville by a FG...As far as we know Maryville could walk in a lil too cocky (DOUBTFUL) and alcoa could hang 45 on them before the 4th QT (Also doubtful) BUT IT CAN HAPPEN!

Alcoa has something on their side that they havent had since 2000. Solid Coaching! Rankin is a GREAT coach. Alcoa hasnt had that. Reid couldnt get it done. Hes not a good coach. Alcoa has coaching

AND for an interesting note..ANYONE remember the last time Maryville faced a dangerous, speedy, not WELL known alcoa team, with a new head coach nobody has seen much of and the game was at Maryville??....Thats right 2000 Alcoa 14 Maryville 7......EVERYONE needs to remember IT CAN HAPPEN AGAIN (Maryville Torching alcoa OR Alcoa Upsetting Maryville)

This game can and probably will be close (by close could be 21-20 or 35-21)

Everyone keeps goin back to last years "over rated" alcoa team that had the big head. Thats not this years team. Talent wise they might be better they might not. Coaching wise they are 10000000000 Times better then they were before. I said 3 years ago Reid was a worthless coach and i still believe it to this day. Alcoa will be good and will probably be back in the Boro this year but they CAN roll in there at 14-0 So all Maryville fans shouldnt fool themselves by thinking that at any given day or time they can just squash Alcoa.

I honestly believe and always have thought that Maryville Schedule is a cake walk. Is Alcoas easy? Yes for the talent they have year in and year out their schedule is easy but Maryvills is a cake walk. With the exception of Knox Central and MAYBE Mo West, NOBODY in their region will even make the game look interesting. I know Powel and knox west like to think they can play with maryville but they simply cant. Maryville vs ANYONE on their schedule (other then Alcoa, Central, Mo West) I would bet my life, car, money and anything else i have on MARYVILLE)

I hands down do not think that 5a ball is "premier" football, at least not in Tennessee. Top to bottom i think 1A and 2A levels are more competitive. Followed by 4a. No im not saying 1a and 2a teams are better then 4a teams im just saying its more competitive and entertaining.

Everyone wants to see Maryville vs Riverdale..i dont know why ONLY people that tooted Riverdales horn were themselves. Maryville would beat Riverdale just as easily as they would be any of their 4a schools. 5A ball isnt competitive. If Maryville stays in 4a they will continue to have a easy path to Boro. If they move up they will still have an easy path until probably playoff times (Minus DB and MAYBE OR)

Now back to the game...Can Maryville Destroy Alcoa? Yes! Will Maryville beat Alcoa easily?? History seems to say so. Does that mean that Alcoa shouldnt show up and we should just cancel this game cause EVERYONE "Knows" that Maryville will win? NO. The only people that think Maryville will win are Maryville Fans and people who have the lack of faith in underdogs AND Alcoa. It doesnt matter if the over all history is 100-3 Maryville, Alcoa can still say THEY CAN BEAT MARYVILLE.

We dont decide who wins or loses, CoachT cant say whos gonna win. Thats why we play the game. The game could be maryville big or maryville by a FG...As far as we know Maryville could walk in a lil too cocky (DOUBTFUL) and alcoa could hang 45 on them before the 4th QT (Also doubtful) BUT IT CAN HAPPEN!

Alcoa has something on their side that they havent had since 2000. Solid Coaching! Rankin is a GREAT coach. Alcoa hasnt had that. Reid couldnt get it done. Hes not a good coach. Alcoa has coaching

AND for an interesting note..ANYONE remember the last time Maryville faced a dangerous, speedy, not WELL known alcoa team, with a new head coach nobody has seen much of and the game was at Maryville??....Thats right 2000 Alcoa 14 Maryville 7......EVERYONE needs to remember IT CAN HAPPEN AGAIN (Maryville Torching alcoa OR Alcoa Upsetting Maryville)

If you think Maryville would easily beat Riverdale you are out of your mind. If Riverdale and Maryville played 10 times Riverdale would win at least 7 or 8 times.

If you think Maryville would easily beat Riverdale you are out of your mind. If Riverdale and Maryville played 10 times Riverdale would win at least 7 or 8 times.

Pretty bold statement. Not sure what you are basing it on but if you count the number of State titles between the two over the past eight years your numbers dont really make any sense. Unless you are basing it, like some that 5A is far superior to 4A which is a crock. If you are that good at predicting scores of mythical games though and you dont have a crystal ball you should be coaching somewhere. <_<

Pretty bold statement. Not sure what you are basing it on but if you count the number of State titles between the two over the past eight years your numbers dont really make any sense. Unless you are basing it, like some that 5A is far superior to 4A which is a crock. If you are that good at predicting scores of mythical games though and you dont have a crystal ball you should be coaching somewhere. <_<

Hey, I have nothing against Maryville, only stating my opinion. I guess Maryville could put all the questions to rest if they would play in 5a.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL ANY team in Tennessee other then the Titans or the Vols (maybe) that think they will take 7 of 10 from Maryville are out of their flipping minds and no NOTHING about football. Ive heard the blah blah blah of Riverdale being to like 10 state title games blah blah blah but last i checked they had 4 rings (all of which are on the hand of the NOW Alcoa Head Coach)...which means they have 6 losses!!

Is there another team in the state with a better winning PCT other then Maryville and Alcoa for that fact, that have played in more then 5 state title games??

Riverdale is a JOKE...USA Today will give them top 25 in the Nation all the time but they cant even beat all the teams they play in the state...Only 1 team in the state deserves to be ranked in the nation and that is Maryville

And i HOPE to god one day Maryville and Riverdale do battle (and i hope Riverdale is still as good of a team as they wish they were) cause if its in Maryville on a week where Alcoa, Heritage, and WB dont play...I wanna personally see Riverdale CHOKE in front of Ten Thousand or more fans because it seems that when Riverdale gets in front of big crowds *cough*STATECHAMPGAMES*cough....they Lose!!!