Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

Uh...must be a REAL secret weapon, cause I'm not sure what it is? They might be keeping it from me cause I live in Maryville? :D

A secret weapon that will get the "W" this year for Alcoa??? :thumb:

Oh I know, Letting `Ol aLcOaChAmP5 suit up for one more game against Maryville.

He knows what beating Maryville at home feels like! :D

Well duh, how can it be a secret weapon if everyone knows about it???

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vettasue , you're not DR. Evil in disguise are you ? No.... " LASER BEAMS " .... are allowed on school property ! :thumb:

pepvol...................me Dr. Evil in disguise...........LOL not even close. Laser Beams, how you gonna win a game with Laser beams.........oh I see, fire the laser beams at them red rebels.........poof they're gone, that wouldn't be fun.

I'm thinking this will be a better game but like always, Maryville should find a way to win. Someone mentioned Nerves. I know Alcoa coming into Shields Stadium with a packed house after last year could be a daunting task for 16, 17, 18 year olds. I think if they are able to stay focused it will be a testament to Rankin’s ability as a coach. At this point they believe Rankin can get them over the top in this game and a belief in the coach is a huge thing for kids. The Rebels trust GQ because they have seen it first hand for years now and all they have to do is execute and many things will happen in the positive.

Some one said Maryville better "Double team Ray Sykes". Maryville has not been in the habit of double teaming anyone. The program knows how to watch film and find the best way to reduce the impact of the other team’s impact player(s). And trusts me Maryville's seniors and coaches have seen allot better players than Ray Sykes. Sykes is a fine physical species and HS football player, but he's just one guy and if the opposing player/blocker is well coached and has good technique, the impact player’s effectiveness will be reduced. Maryville will play team ball but I agree they need to be healthier than they are now to soundly defeat Alcoa like I think they will.

Just curious. Who are the DE's that MHS's seniors have seen who are a lot better than Rae Sykes? Regardless of which team you are affiliated with he is an excellent HS player and a definite D1 prospect? Who are these other players?

One would be Brandon Warren his junior season...........Not better but as good.

Just curious. Who are the DE's that MHS's seniors have seen who are a lot better than Rae Sykes? Regardless of which team you are affiliated with he is an excellent HS player and a definite D1 prospect? Who are these other players?

First of all, I said impact players. Not being from or around everywhere I can't name names of all of the kids MHS has limited through the years to help to win ball games. Elizabethton came in with the Witten boys a few years ago and I would say both were better than Sykes and I don't think Rae is anywhere near what Jason Witten was. Two or Three years ago Morr West had a Bama signer who was maybe 6-7 260 nicked named Pee Wee that had a good game vs. the reb's but was not a huge factor. I can tell you the Memphis teams have more loaded with athletes than Alcoa has ever been the past 3-5 years in my opinion. Everyone remembers how un-stopple UT’s Gerald Riggs, (Red Bank) and Vandy’s Caisson Jackson (Knox Central) were supposed to be and Maryville was able to adapt to schemes to stop these proven and true D1 "Players".

Sykes is good no question but not even close to un-stopple. He'll make some plays and cause some trouble but Maryville will handle him and limit his impact.

"but he's just one guy and if the opposing player/blocker is well coached and has good technique, the impact player’s effectiveness will be reduced. " FBEmeritus

I would venture to say a DT and a back will definitely have responsibility in deterring Sykes ability to make plays. Many times it will be both on the SAME play. That would be a doubleteam. And of course running away from him would have an impact on his ability to make plays from the DE position.

Should be a great game!

"but he's just one guy and if the opposing player/blocker is well coached and has good technique, the impact player’s effectiveness will be reduced. " FBEmeritus

I would venture to say a DT and a back will definitely have responsibility in deterring Sykes ability to make plays. Many times it will be both on the SAME play. That would be a doubleteam. And of course running away from him would have an impact on his ability to make plays from the DE position.

Should be a great game!

I agree. If Maryville wants to limit Sykes they need to run away from him. Also, they should beware of Rae blocking as a tight end (not sure if he can catch though). He did well blocking at the position during the Jamboree.

Should be a great game!

I would however look at "Running away" to be a normal scheme for any team vs. any impact player as one way to limit that players effectivness. I would not think for one min GQ would fear running at him on occasion. To respect him is one thing but to fear him is simply not nessessary.

I know he is bigger and faster now, but last year he was little to no threat to Maryville's offence. On another note I bet he can catch fron the TE position.