Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

I have heard so much about this rivalry for years. I can only imagine how exciting the actual game is! I've seen Alcoa play several times, but I've only watched Maryville in a jamboree. Tell me you all, just HOW CROWDED are these games? I've heard that people get there at 11:00- 12:00 in the morning to claim seats. I've been to some standing room only games in my time, but I can only imagine how an Alcoa-Maryville game is!!

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard so much about this rivalry for years. I can only imagine how exciting the actual game is! I've seen Alcoa play several times, but I've only watched Maryville in a jamboree. Tell me you all, just HOW CROWDED are these games? I've heard that people get there at 11:00- 12:00 in the morning to claim seats. I've been to some standing room only games in my time, but I can only imagine how an Alcoa-Maryville game is!!

Trust this is one game you should come and see for yourself!! Last year I went by the school to get my ticket and there was blankets all in the stands!!!! I can't wait til kickoff! My God brother is waiting to make his debut at QB!!! I'm excited for him and the the Alcoa Nation!! Good luck to both teams!! :thumb:

ok while im reading this im wondering if everyone has forgotten about riverdale's prestige in 5a, and thats not just because people like their colors. under coach rankin riverdale was a powerhouse in 5a. alcoa has had and still has big play potential in kyrus lanxter, it doesnt matter who the qb happens to be at the time, they could put bart hicks there and it would work becuase all you have to do is get him the ball. the draw back for alcoa is that maryville has an out standing pair of safeties in steven shiver and tyler maples. it doesnt matter how good he is at offense, defense is where steven shiver shines. the weakness in maryville is obviously the d line they are really going to have to shape up and get everything together in order to contain cobb, becuase they deffinitely have the ablility its just a matter of getting things done. alcoa is in no way weak at the rb position because shiverdecker will do more than replace lindsey. alcoa is no way out of this game it will be, as usual, game of the year. i still think maryville comes out on top of a close decision. both teams should shine agian this year.

Well I don't think it will be the game of the year and Maryville will again soundly beat Alcoa, Period!

To many playmakers, to sharp, to tested, to physical, deep ect..

And toooooooooooooo arrogant (the fans anyway). Thankfully for you the Maryville players don't have your attitude. Maryville should win. But it won't be because they have more playmakers or because they are more athletic. If Maryville wins its because they will do what they do best: EXECUTION EXECUTION EXECUTION!!

As for Alcoa, I hope they win but I have to see it before I can believe it. I am almost certain that they will improve upon their lack of effort last year. It would be hard not to!

So, you Maryville fans can talk and should talk (even though many smaller schools could put up the same record as you with the schedule you have) but just make sure that you can take it as well as you can give it because the time is coming when you are going to get all you want.

And toooooooooooooo arrogant (the fans anyway). Thankfully for you the Maryville players don't have your attitude.

So, you Maryville fans can talk and should talk (even though many smaller schools could put up the same record as you with the schedule you have) but just make sure that you can take it as well as you can give it because the time is coming when you are going to get all you want.

How is it that you saying ( even though many smaller schools could put up the same record as you with the schedule you have ) is not just as arrogant as what FBEmeritus said ?

btw , Maybe if we put some of those power houses like Wartburg & Oliver springs on our schedule you'd be more impressed with our schedule ?

How is it that you saying ( even though many smaller schools could put up the same record as you with the schedule you have ) is not just as arrogant as what FBEmeritus said ?

btw , Maybe if we put some of those power houses like Wartburg & Oliver springs on our schedule you'd be more impressed with our schedule ?

Every region has their weaknesses. Maryville plays 2 teams (possibly 3) that are quality opponents. Leaving Alcoa out of the equation and taking Central off of the schedule, which team is anywhere close to being a championship caliber team? West?? Heritage?? William Blount?? Clinton??

So yes, I would say that Alcoa and many other smaller good quality teams could put up good numbers in that region. Alcoa's region is nowhere close to being the best and their schedule is not the toughest. All I'm saying is that I would like to see Maryville play a better schedule. A tougher schedule. They should drop WB and Heritage and play Riverdale and Oak Ridge or somebody from Memphis.

Maryville has 2 games on the schedule (maybe 3) that could cause them problems. That's not my opinion, it's fact. The region is a 2 team contest. Alcoa, Fulton, A-E, Catholic, Huntingdon, Livingston, Lipscomb; all those teams could have as much success as Maryville, or close to it, in that region.

Every region has their weaknesses. Maryville plays 2 teams (possibly 3) that are quality opponents. Leaving Alcoa out of the equation and taking Central off of the schedule, which team is anywhere close to being a championship caliber team? West?? Heritage?? William Blount?? Clinton??

So yes, I would say that Alcoa and many other smaller good quality teams could put up good numbers in that region. Alcoa's region is nowhere close to being the best and their schedule is not the toughest. All I'm saying is that I would like to see Maryville play a better schedule. A tougher schedule. They should drop WB and Heritage and play Riverdale and Oak Ridge or somebody from Memphis.

Maryville has 2 games on the schedule (maybe 3) that could cause them problems. That's not my opinion, it's fact. The region is a 2 team contest. Alcoa, Fulton, A-E, Catholic, Huntingdon, Livingston, Lipscomb; all those teams could have as much success as Maryville, or close to it, in that region.

Ok , if you say so . :thumb: Funny that you don't think you're arrogant , but FBEmeritus is .

I only say something that sounds arrogant when I read something so stupid.

Alcoa could not handle Knox Central, Powell or Knox West the past three years and that is just 3-4A. 2A in East TN is very weak. If that were not so a few more teams besides Alcoa would have a real statistical chance of advancing to the burro? Who besides Alcoa could compete with some of the 2A powers of the West save for Lipscomb?

Alcoa deserves all the accolades of a true 2A champion, but let’s not even try to put them in the same class as Maryville or think they could accomplish what Maryville has done the past 8-9 Years. Alcoa in fact has not done it even in 2A, much less 4A. Central and Morristown West have come close but when toe to toe with Maryville, Maryville has ruled the day. Check the records. Alcoa got big hype last year “Best of all Classifications”, “Best ever”, “Highly Ranked” yadda, yadda, yadda! This year you hear more of the same hype.

2 minutes into last years contest vs. a real champion and powerhouse they got 14 points hung on them before one of the greatest defenses in state even got sweaty! How many points could GQ and company have hung on Alcoa before the dogs were called off and the home stands got empty by the middle of the 3rd quarter? Last year’s team and staff showed how much respect they had with ejections and pilling on points of a down and out GP team. Yea Alcoa plays some real power houses! I think Melrose and Hillsboro would love to play a cream puff like Alcoa for a gold ball!

Thinking Alcoa or any of the teams you named could do what Maryville has done playing in region 3-4A is stupid and thinking Heritage or William Blount are scared of Alcoa is also pretty arrogant as well.

This year Maryville gets a game to work out the kinks before Alcoa comes strutting on to Shields Stadiums field, think the Rebels can stay with Alcoa?