Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok , if you say so . :thumb: Funny that you don't think you're arrogant , but FBEmeritus is .

I'm not arrogant because I think Maryville is going to win. They have been the better team over the past few years. If I was arrogant I would say that Alcoa is going handle Maryville and that it would not be close. Reality says that this is not the case.

It's not my fault Maryville doesn't schedule tougher opponents.

I only say something that sounds arrogant when I read something so stupid.

Alcoa could not handle Knox Central, Powell or Knox West the past three years and that is just 3-4A. 2A in East TN is very weak. If that were not so a few more teams besides Alcoa would have a real statistical chance of advancing to the burro? Who besides Alcoa could compete with some of the 2A powers of the West save for Lipscomb?

Alcoa deserves all the accolades of a true 2A champion, but let’s not even try to put them in the same class as Maryville or think they could accomplish what Maryville has done the past 8-9 Years. Alcoa in fact has not done it even in 2A, much less 4A. Central and Morristown West have come close but when toe to toe with Maryville, Maryville has ruled the day. Check the records. Alcoa got big hype last year “Best of all Classifications”, “Best ever”, “Highly Ranked” yadda, yadda, yadda! This year you hear more of the same hype.

2 minutes into last years contest vs. a real champion and powerhouse they got 14 points hung on them before one of the greatest defenses in state even got sweaty! How many points could GQ and company have hung on Alcoa before the dogs were called off and the home stands got empty by the middle of the 3rd quarter? Last year’s team and staff showed how much respect they had with ejections and pilling on points of a down and out GP team. Yea Alcoa plays some real power houses! I think Melrose and Hillsboro would love to play a cream puff like Alcoa for a gold ball!

Thinking Alcoa or any of the teams you named could do what Maryville has done playing in region 3-4A is stupid and thinking Heritage or William Blount are scared of Alcoa is also pretty arrogant as well.

This year Maryville gets a game to work out the kinks before Alcoa comes strutting on to Shields Stadiums field, think the Rebels can stay with Alcoa?

Man, this is so much fun!!!!!! I like it when people take things and blow them way out of proportion!!! :thumb:

I'm not going to get into a meaningless debate with someone who is closed minded. Anytime anyone says anything remotely close to being critical of Maryville's program some of you people go crazy!!! It's so hillarious!!!

Your beloved Rebels have done well over the past few years and no one is going to deny that. BUT!!!!!! I'm saying that if they played a little tougher competition I believe they would lose a game or 2. I'm not taking anything away from them.

Yes 2A is weak but the fact is that there are a couple of teams who could compete in 4A. Alcoa is one of them and so is Huntingdon. By the way, Lipscomb is a 3A school.

When Maryville finally wins a championship in basketball then we can begin to compare schools. Until then, Maryville is not in Alcoa's class and Alcoa is not in Maryville's class.

You are correct in that Alcoa got plenty of hype last year, but the players didn't do it. I have never said that Alcoa would beat Maryville this year. I think Maryville will win. The part that I thought was arrogant was that you assume that all Maryville has to do is just show up. Mark my words. If Maryville plays a lack luster game, Alcoa will give them a fight. They might not win, but it will be a fight.

You obviously were not at the G-P game last year. I'm not even going to comment on the ejections and the 91 points. Except to point out that at one time you all had a counterfeit ring in your school. How low!!!! You can't classify the program like that, totally low.

And I never said that Heritage and WB were scared of Alcoa. Before you call me stupid get your facts straight.

How is it that you saying ( even though many smaller schools could put up the same record as you with the schedule you have ) is not just as arrogant as what FBEmeritus said ?

btw , Maybe if we put some of those power houses like Wartburg & Oliver springs on our schedule you'd be more impressed with our schedule ?

I read a magazine last night that ranked Marvyille 12th in the southeast. That's pretty impressive, but I also read that their toughest opponent this year is ALCOA!! That didn't come from me! That came from the magazine. FB Don't start talking about how Alcoa can't compare gold balls! We have 7 and the Rebs have 9. Sounds to me like both have winning traditions! Give credit when it's do Man!! You kill me with that!!

And toooooooooooooo arrogant (the fans anyway). Thankfully for you the Maryville players don't have your attitude. Maryville should win. But it won't be because they have more playmakers or because they are more athletic. If Maryville wins its because they will do what they do best: EXECUTION EXECUTION EXECUTION!!

As for Alcoa, I hope they win but I have to see it before I can believe it. I am almost certain that they will improve upon their lack of effort last year. It would be hard not to!

So, you Maryville fans can talk and should talk (even though many smaller schools could put up the same record as you with the schedule you have) but just make sure that you can take it as well as you can give it because the time is coming when you are going to get all you want.

I can agree with you up to a point. You could likely take several successful smaller programs and place them in certain larger regions and they could get some wins. Your statement though that several smaller schools could put up the same record as Maryville with the schedule we play I don't agree with. That record does not only include regular season games but MANY semi final and championship games. I think any team Alcoa or other good smaller schools have had recently would have problems with the 2001 and 2002 Hillsboro teams Maryville beat as well as the two Melrose teams we played the past two years. Maryville has not lost a regular season game in 5 years and has not lost a game period in 3 years. I don't know of many, if any "smaller" schools who could have played each team Maryville played during that time and produce the "same" record. And lets be fair here. Alcoa did not venture into the world of the Fultons and McCallies until last year after Heritage and William Blount dropped them, and if I remember correctly the county schools dropped Alcoa rather than Alcoa dropping them to schedule tougher competition.

I can agree with you up to a point. You could likely take several successful smaller programs and place them in certain larger regions and they could get some wins. Your statement though that several smaller schools could put up the same record as Maryville with the schedule we play I don't agree with. That record does not only include regular season games but MANY semi final and championship games. I think any team Alcoa or other good smaller schools have had recently would have problems with the 2001 and 2002 Hillsboro teams Maryville beat as well as the two Melrose teams we played the past two years. Maryville has not lost a regular season game in 5 years and has not lost a game period in 3 years. I don't know of many, if any "smaller" schools who could have played each team Maryville played during that time and produce the "same" record. And lets be fair here. Alcoa did not venture into the world of the Fultons and McCallies until last year after Heritage and William Blount dropped them, and if I remember correctly the county schools dropped Alcoa rather than Alcoa dropping them to schedule tougher competition.

Why would the county schools drop Alcoa to schedule tougher opponents when they had problems beating Alcoa??

Why would the county schools drop Alcoa to schedule tougher opponents when they had problems beating Alcoa??

You misunderstood my post. Maybe I worded it wrong. I meant, Alcoa did not schedule those two schools until after the county schools dropped them. It was not Alcoa dropping the county schools in order to be able to schedule tougher opponents. I have no idea who the county schools replaced Alcoa with. UTK is taking shots at Maryville's schedule. Not counting region games they have three games to work with and they play the three other blount county schools. Had the county schools not dropped Alcoa I assume Alcoa would still be doing the same.

I read a magazine last night that ranked Marvyille 12th in the southeast. That's pretty impressive, but I also read that their toughest opponent this year is ALCOA!! That didn't come from me! That came from the magazine. FB Don't start talking about how Alcoa can't compare gold balls! We have 7 and the Rebs have 9. Sounds to me like both have winning traditions! Give credit when it's do Man!! You kill me with that!!

If you read all of my posts, within them you'll find I do acknowledge Alcoa's accomplishments in statements like "Alcoa deserves all the accolades of a true 2A champion". Seven state championships is a great accomplishment as well. The program has been a very good one but when you try to compare Alcoa to Maryville in football it is like apples to oranges. Alcoa has done very well the past ten years, in 2A, but they and really, no other program have come close in this state, to matching Maryville's record win-loss and scoring and defensive records. Maryville also does not run up the scores to pad the stats ether.

Head to head what is the record? They are not even close. Past ten years the record is 9-1 over-all. The scoring was 366-145 over that period. That’s an average of 36.6 to 14.5. Over the 9 victories Maryville’s win margin has been 25.33 points to Alcoa’s single victory (00) was by only 7 points. In 02’ the MHS’ winning point margin was by 42 points! No telling how many points MHS’ could score on Alcoa if the dogs had not been called off in most games early during the past ten years.

Alcoa has a great 2A, small school program and have the players and staff to keep it on top for years to come, but don’t fool yourself into thinking Alcoa has come close to Maryville’s accomplishments the past ten years playing the level Maryville has played at and who they have defeated over those years.

I’ll pull for Alcoa every Friday night and the first week of December, except for one night all year but make no mistake, Maryville is one or two steps above Alcoa in football right now.

Implying Maryville's region is weak is wrong. That region (4A Region 3) has represented the East every year but 1 (MoWest 2003) for the past 9 years. Hardly a weak region. If not for Maryville's success, more than not Powell, Knox Central or Halls would have been in Nashville or the 'boro.

No one is proving your point by using Alcoa or Maryville as examples. Both those teams are exceptional in their class.

I just don't see Powell and Halls as a powerhouse (as of today). Good yes, but not great.

As for the game on Aug 25. Since I am trying to be fair, honest, and up front. I will make a prediction that Maryville will win 31-21. It might surprise you that the margin of victory is smaller than previous years but I just don't see Alcoa forgetting to show up like they did last year (especially with Rankin as coach).

Go Alcoa, it should be a good game. The Tornadoes have beat Maryville before but I just don't see it this year.

I just don't see Powell and Halls as a powerhouse (as of today). Good yes, but not great.

As for the game on Aug 25. Since I am trying to be fair, honest, and up front. I will make a prediction that Maryville will win 31-21. It might surprise you that the margin of victory is smaller than previous years but I just don't see Alcoa forgetting to show up like they did last year (especially with Rankin as coach).

Go Alcoa, it should be a good game. The Tornadoes have beat Maryville before but I just don't see it this year.

I agree, the game could be closer because Alcoa has so many playmakers on the O where Maryville is having to replace the best front 7 that maybe ever played at MHS. Any kid who will get the ball for Alcoa in the open field back in the secondary could be trouble. After talking to a couple officials today after the jamboree, I was told Coach Rankin is a class act and has brought the level of discipline up a step at the school. If there get's to be team attitude before individuals, Alcoa could pull off the upset if the Rebels play flat or over look them. What I am not sure of will Alcoa be able to out score Maryville? I don't think there are many teams who could match the offensive fire power Maryville brings this year. The defense will mature and at home, Maryville has not lost in many games. Another big factor is Maryville has a game to work out the kinks prior to the Alcoa game. I still think Maryville will again soundly beat Alcoa.

I agree, the game could be closer because Alcoa has so many playmakers on the O where Maryville is having to replace the best front 7 that maybe ever played at MHS. Any kid who will get the ball for Alcoa in the open field back in the secondary could be trouble. After talking to a couple officials today after the jamboree, I was told Coach Rankin is a class act and has brought the level of discipline up a step at the school. If there get's to be team attitude before individuals, Alcoa could pull off the upset if the Rebels play flat or over look them. What I am not sure of will Alcoa be able to out score Maryville? I don't think there are many teams who could match the offensive fire power Maryville brings this year. The defense will mature and at home, Maryville has not lost in many games. Another big factor is Maryville has a game to work out the kinks prior to the Alcoa game. I still think Maryville will again soundly beat Alcoa.

FB, you may be right about this one. I'm hoping Alcoa comes to play and if they can just execute and force turnovers, then this game could be close! :P