Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

I was glad to see a good turnout for the SD game even though the game was quite lopsided.

Looking at the Maryville Daily Fish Wrap, the SD coach says he found a weakness in Maryville's D? Really? Said SD out manned Maryville or something like that. I think Hunt and Berrnet had trouble deciding which open reviever to throw too! Check that thing with lights down at the south end zone there coach. I don't think you found anything but another L in the loss block.

I hope Alcoa reads that junk and that gives them some type or false hope. Maryville looked pretty good early in the season, I was well pleased.

Let's talk Alcoa! I think they are alot better than South Doyal and should give the rebs a tough challenge.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also went to the MHS vs SD game last night. I can tell ya one thing I did see about Maryville last night. THEY DIDN'T HIT HARD! There was a few chances that Maryville could have KILLED the SD players, but decided to just push them or pet them. They did get a little better in the second half though. Another thing I saw last night was that Maryville executed every play. But SD made a bunch of mistakes as well. Early in the game SD bloked a punt and got the ball to about the 10 or 15 yard-line and STILL counldn't put the ball in.

From my understanding GQ kept it "Basic" last night? I've heard several different stories about the game. Some say the Rebs looked pretty darn good, and some say they were ok. Did The Rebs have any turnovers?? Well that game is over with now, let's talk about nexts weeks game! Could it be as close as the 2000 game?? I just don't know what to expect in this one.

The first and second shirts had no turnovers save for a blocked punt. I thought SD had good speed and they did a very nice job blocking that punt. Can't remember when the last time was that MHS had a punt blocked, but you can bet GQ and company have addressed that issue this morning at the coaches film review. I do also think that MHS, like many other teams, play to the level of the competion. I thought the ball presuit was pretty good, but will have to be better vs. Alcoa's speed. Maryville had three RB's who did not go down on the first hit and had no trouble lowering the sholder for the extra yard. The effort was good and having a game under the belt is a huge factor in the Alcoa vs. Maryville. Saga

Past years it has been Alcoa who has had a game under the belt coming into the rivaly.

I think it will be a close game and with Coach Rankin at the controls Alcoa has a good chance to pull it off . I'll have the grill going outside the stadium with enough CROW for FB and MLREB to enjoy , roflmao

Hey 15.... If it were to happen I have no problem with a little crow. Let me assure you a year of crow for a Rebel doesn't even come close to the truckloads of crow that in years past has been shoved down Alcoa's pie holes. The only reason we comment here is to laugh at the Alcoa idiots that year after year come on these boards and preach the doom and gloom. Thanks for the continued entertainment. :thumb:

I think it will be a close game and with Coach Rankin at the controls Alcoa has a good chance to pull it off . I'll have the grill going outside the stadium with enough CROW for FB and MLREB to enjoy , roflmao

If Alcoa should win, and they could simply because of the "Any given" ole' saying thing then so be it. I think Rankin does give Alcoa a better chance, but like I said in a post or two ago, if Alcoa thinks a new coach is what it takes to get them over the top just keep thinking that. Maryville will not go down easy and when this weeks hype is printed in papers, the Rebels will be up for it.

At this point of the year I think Maryville's D is not what the D was last year up front, but Alcoa has seldom seen a secondary like Maryville has this year. Cobb is no Fiegler in terms of passing ability, this could make Alcoa one dimensional. Now I said could, not would. But if that happens Alcoa will not be able to grind out enough yards even with the power I Rankin has employed with Hicks as the up back, beat Maryville on the ground. Maryville will have the time and playmakers to pass on Alcoa and Rankin will not out fox GQ. He may be a great coach, but GQ is a great play caller like few in the state.

The game will be close till mid 3rd qtr then Maryville will again demonstrate what being a true dynasty is all about. Come early but be ready to leave early from the home of the champions.

If Alcoa should win, and they could simply because of the "Any given" ole' saying thing then so be it. I think Rankin does give Alcoa a better chance, but like I said in a post or two ago, if Alcoa thinks a new coach is what it takes to get them over the top just keep thinking that. Maryville will not go down easy and when this weeks hype is printed in papers, the Rebels will be up for it.

At this point of the year I think Maryville's D is not what the D was last year up front, but Alcoa has seldom seen a secondary like Maryville has this year. Cobb is no Fiegler in terms of passing ability, this could make Alcoa one dimensional. Now I said could, not would. But if that happens Alcoa will not be able to grind out enough yards even with the power I Rankin has employed with Hicks as the up back, beat Maryville on the ground. Maryville will have the time and playmakers to pass on Alcoa and Rankin will not out fox GQ. He may be a great coach, but GQ is a great play caller like few in the state.

The game will be close till mid 3rd qtr then Maryville will again demonstrate what being a true dynasty is all about. Come early but be ready to leave early from the home of the champions.

I don't plan on leavin from the game too early! I think this game will be closer than many may think!! :rolleyes:

Keys to a Maryville win next friday will be.

Can they pass protect against Rae Sykes? I feel like Maryville can pass on Alcoa. No one on Alcoa's team can guard Maples one on one. Steven Shiver,Tyler Clendenen and Aaron Douglas are good targets.

Will Tank be healthy enough? With Tank in there I feel like Maryville's offense will be able to get those 3rd and 1 or 2 with consistancy. He will get those tough yards. He gives the offense balance.

I expect Alcoa to try to go wide on Maryville. I feel like Maryville has enough team speed to slow Alcoa down. Maryville's defensive tackles need to play well. I worry about Alcoa going to the power I with Shiverdecker at tailback and Stultz and Hicks as fullbacks.

Takayuki Koyano is a weapon. He needs to kick every kickoff in the end zone. I don't want Alcoa to return a single kickoff. Punting game needs to get better. Getting another punt blocked against Alcoa could be fatal.

Maryville needs to bring the same intensity that they brought last season to Alcoa.

I agree on the intensity level, it needs to up there like all the big games MHS has been in.

I also think Maryville will be able to pass on Alcoa. The run does concern me as well but I don't think Alcoa will be able to score enough points just on the ground. Maryville should be able to run and pass on Alcoa. Sykes will be dealt with, he is not any better than Maryville has seen the past 6-7 years, and the staff knows how to scheme great players

I dont see Rae as a factor, the last 2 years Maryville has ran away from Brandon Warren on every play, and who did they run right at??? That would be Rae. Rae is a great athlete with a lot of potential, but he stands up way to much on defense and Maryville has used this to their advantage in the past years with their great technique on the offensive line.

I think the Power I formation will give Maryville some trouble. The offensive line looked really good in scrimmages and the jamboree, and not to mention the beef and hard hitting that Hicks and Stultz bring from fullback. Shivy also looked great, seems to have got a lot better. Alcoa will be successful with this, but not all game long.

I look at this game just like Maryville's state championship games have been in the past. Everybody thought Maryville would get beat, but the coaching staff came through for them by making good adjustments, by varying up formations and play calling, and by using some trick plays. These are the things that Alcoa must do, and it will be hard against GQ, but he is mortal, and I have confidence in Rankin and his staff.

Maryville fans.......what would be a good time to arrive at the stadium for a good seat, I was thinking about 530.