Did Maryville Play 3A when it was the top Division?

rigger101

who cares Maryville is scared of the power houses of 5A so they stay in the dark while the real teams are out trying to win rings that count i mean you put all the 5A teams down in 4A and it will be a slaughter every friday night

Who are those powerhouses? real teams? rings that count? You've just kidding, right?

Without Riverdale 5A would have been far from Big Boy status for a few years now. That last 5A game was terrible.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read and investigated. The Rebs did not compete/make it deep in the playoffs at 3A level when it was the highest Division in the state. So I guess looking at the record books you could say that Maryville didn't perform or win the Gold ball when they played at the highest level.

However every program goes through their ups and downs. From what others posted it looks like they were down when they had a chance to play at the higher division.

All I know is that they have one of the best-coached and disciplined football programs in the State now and if it stays status-quos they will do well in 5A when they move up

They moved to 3A in 87 and had not played in a title game in 2A for around eight years at that time. It might also be worth mentioning that at that time two rather than four teams from each district (they are called regions now) made the playoffs so stiffer competition was encountered much earlier than now with four teams being taken, plus it was much harder to get in. But the main thing at that time was 89 through 91 or so were some of the worst years for Maryville in the modern era. Two or three coaching changes were in that mix and in 90 i believe it was William Blount beat Maryville 31-0 but used an ineligible player and had to forfeit. Maryville finished that year 5-5 and that is the only thing that kept them from their first losing season in many decades. 3A no doubt made it even tougher but Maryville just was plain not that good during that span. Alcoa beat them four straight years 88, 89, 90 and 91. In at least one of those years they went 0-3 against the rest of the county. These aren't excuses just facts. Maryville was mediorce by anyones standards during that period, and down right lousy by their standards.

When Hammontree took over in 93 he began to talk about two-platooning and players only playing one way. I thought he was crazy but within a few years he was able to pull it off and by the time Quarles joined the staff and they scrapped the wing t for the multiple set they run now they began to regain some success and a lot more kids became interested in playing again. And I have to throw this in. For all those who bemoan the open enrollment that Maryville and Alcoa have Maryville had it during those lousy years also but no one said a word.

Edited by mhs

They moved to 3A in 87 and had not played in a title game in 2A for around eight years at that time. It might also be worth mentioning that at that time two rather than four teams from each district (they are called regions now) made the playoffs so stiffer competition was encountered much earlier than now with four teams being taken, plus it was much harder to get in. But the main thing at that time was 89 through 91 or so were some of the worst years for Maryville in the modern era. Two or three coaching changes were in that mix and in 90 i believe it was William Blount beat Maryville 31-0 but used an ineligible player and had to forfeit. Maryville finished that year 5-5 and that is the only thing that kept them from their first losing season in many decades. 3A no doubt made it even tougher but Maryville just was plain not that good during that span. Alcoa beat them four straight years 88, 89, 90 and 91. In at least one of those years they went 0-3 against the rest of the county. These aren't excuses just facts. Maryville was mediorce by anyones standards during that period, and down right lousy by their standards.

When Hammontree took over in 93 he began to talk about two-platooning and players only playing one way. I thought he was crazy but within a few years he was able to pull it off and by the time Quarles joined the staff and they scrapped the wing t for the multiple set they run now they began to regain some success and a lot more kids became interested in playing again. And I have to throw this in. For all those who bemoan the open enrollment that Maryville and Alcoa have Maryville had it during those lousy years also but no one said a word.

MHS--Thanks for putting that into words. I was a part of AHS Teams in 81, 82 & 83. Open enrollement is way overated in Blount County. Ole Hammontree is a "piece of work" but he really did lay the ground work for you guys. Thanks for the memories. By the way, those Alcoa teams had something a lot of the AHS teams usually don't have against Maryville......LINEMAN!

I am No Maryville expert, but I have observed the RedRebel program first hand over the past few years. Ill say this, for Anyone to say that Maryville cant or wont be a force in 5-A well, they are just simply put, misinformed. I am a Proud Knox Central fan and I have seen MANY battles between these two programs. In recent history there were several times when the Cats seemed to have had victory late in games and some how or some way the RedRebels have pulled out the win. There is a special chemistry with that program from the staff to every player on the field and sideline. Those kids just believe in the system, execute plays, rarely ever get raddled, and never give up. Central has had some very competitive teams in recent history losing to NO ONE in 4-A except Maryville, and let me tell you Joel Helton and staff are as good as anyone in the state. As far as open enrollment perhaps it could be an advantage over some schools, but a kid could relocate to any school zone in the state and be legal with their residence in the preferred zone. Maryville, Alcoa, and Knox Fulton are all loaded now, but all have experienced down years, simply put, when your winning State Championships people want to be a part of your program. I dont think Knox Central has lost any games to Maryville because the RedRebels were more tallented. I for one hope Central plays Maryville after they make the move to 5-A, simply because the excitement and atmosphere in these games is amazing from the fans in the stands to the action on the field.

MHS--Thanks for putting that into words. I was a part of AHS Teams in 81, 82 & 83. Open enrollement is way overated in Blount County. Ole Hammontree is a "piece of work" but he really did lay the ground work for you guys. Thanks for the memories. By the way, those Alcoa teams had something a lot of the AHS teams usually don't have against Maryville......LINEMAN!

Agree. I remember close games in those 81-83 games. And the Alcoa teams of 88 and 89 could certainly have played with anybody in the State regardless of classification. Punky Dalton no doubt still has great memories of those two teams and with very good reason.

Agree. I remember close games in those 81-83 games. And the Alcoa teams of 88 and 89 could certainly have played with anybody in the State regardless of classification. Punky Dalton no doubt still has great memories of those two teams and with very good reason.

MHS were u a coach at MHS in the 80's?