Bad situation at Powell High School

HTV

Fulmer should have been doing the same to other players the last 5 or 6 years and he would not be having these problems now.

I agree but I am glad Phil gave this Problem Child the boot. What school needs athletes who violate the law just because of who they think they are?

Sad a local kid got cut just as Phil has decided it seems to give more local kids the chance to play for the orange these days. Hope he gets help and learns something for his and his family's sake. I say it is time for no tolarance at all levels of sports.

My question is if the asst principle did fix his grades while other things might have been going on, would he have the grades to get into school at a Div 2/3 school?

You just can't fix stupid!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this straight. Fulmer boots a guy who is stinking drunk on campus not 2 months after he gets there and may not even be eligible (if the Powell grade-fixing scandal is true) and is criticized for "only" giving a 4 game suspension to a guy who did something incredibly stupid (and this charge will be pled down).

Waving a toy gun at somone is stupid but won't kill someone. Driving stinking drunk

can and does kill people. Smith is a big freaking idiot. Perhaps UT would have stood with him (at least for a while) on the Powell stuff. Going out and pulling a Mel Gibson

(minus the anti-jew stuff) made it easy for Fulmer. The other kid has been on campus for a year and apparently has been in no other trouble and so gets a break.

In the end he will be in the same place he would have been anyway --- on the bench.

Nobody has thought he would see any PT anytime soon.

As I typed earlier on Smith --- Good Riddance. At least UT doesn't have to deal with whatever is going to happen out of the PHS scandal. TE's except Whitten at UT are little more than pass eligible Tackles so I doubt the absence of Mr. Smith will hurt UT much if any in the next few years. Perhaps this will be the beginning of UT cleaning up things. If not Fulmer may be on the unemployment line.

Guest Cutters Crazies

Cutter, you obviously don't know how the law works. It is an alleged Aggravated Assault. It has not been proven and there are many conflicting reports of what happened and even allegations that he officer was acting with road rage himeself jamming on his brakes and refusing the payers to pass.

On the other hand Smith, by not taking the DUI test violated the implied consent law regardless. Stack that onto the other crap that went on at Powell and there is reason enough. Plus if you are 18 have not even practiced yet and are driving around UT drunk at 4am after all the Powell high school crap, how smart is that?

These are completely different scenarios. Johnson had never been in trouble and had excellent grades. The story about pointing the gun will come out as false as everyone realizes that the off duty Putnam County Sheriff had nothing better to do but try and anger 2 kids on the interstate. I mean if you are a cop and are plaing games, weaving over, jamming on brakes on the interstate, that speaks volumes about your character.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/foot...i.ap/index.html

Oh wait in the 4th paragraph from that bottom does that not say Aggravated Assault? Thought so

Cutter, you obviously don't know how the law works. It is an alleged Aggravated Assault. It has not been proven and there are many conflicting reports of what happened and even allegations that he officer was acting with road rage himeself jamming on his brakes and refusing the payers to pass.

On the other hand Smith, by not taking the DUI test violated the implied consent law regardless. Stack that onto the other crap that went on at Powell and there is reason enough. Plus if you are 18 have not even practiced yet and are driving around UT drunk at 4am after all the Powell high school crap, how smart is that?

These are completely different scenarios. Johnson had never been in trouble and had excellent grades. The story about pointing the gun will come out as false as everyone realizes that the off duty Putnam County Sheriff had nothing better to do but try and anger 2 kids on the interstate. I mean if you are a cop and are plaing games, weaving over, jamming on brakes on the interstate, that speaks volumes about your character.

I am loyal to UT for sure. But I am not sure Cutter does not have a point here possibly. Johnson got four games right? Let's say the very same thing happened to Robert Meachum or even Ainge tommorrow. Would the punishment be the same? History says no. That is when we would get from Fulmer that it is being handled within the program and the punishment would not be revealed. It depends on who you are or at least what string you are IMO.

First and for most the young man in question must be held accountable for his actions With that being said we need to show some compassion for a young man who has made a terrible mistake. We all have done stupid things and in some cases got by with it. The unfortunate fact is because he is such a gifted athelete society has conditioned him to believe that he was above the "law" so to speak. Speculation is that he had several discipline problems at Powell and Coach Fulmer spoke to him last spring about some concerns he had. Well his free passes have run out and he must now face the consequences of his poor choice. We can only hope that he learns his lesson, grows from this situation, and moves on.

As adults we must also be held accountable . No we didn't get drunk and drive a car. But we are responsible for setting a good example and holding our young people to task regardless of their athletic status.

I dont know why you guys keep picking on fulmer for this, that is stupid. if your gonna pick on fulmer for these incidents then you better start calling out every highschool, college, and even pro coach in america. they all do it, because thats what it takes for the teams to have a chance at winning. Look at vanderbilt, I dont know for sure but i bet that they hardly ever get players that do stupid stuff like this, then look at their record every year, its awful.

I dont know why you guys keep picking on fulmer for this, that is stupid. if your gonna pick on fulmer for these incidents then you better start calling out every highschool, college, and even pro coach in america. they all do it, because thats what it takes for the teams to have a chance at winning. Look at vanderbilt, I dont know for sure but i bet that they hardly ever get players that do stupid stuff like this, then look at their record every year, its awful.

I did not intend to "pick" on Fulmer with my post. But do you honestly think his program is not lacking discipline? I know he cannot learn ahead of time about what guys are going to be like but until he kicks a starter off the team this trend will not likely change. And I disagree that you have to have a few cons around to have a successful program also. Discipline needs to be consistent and it is lacking on the hill. Last year players would get mad in practice and just walk off the field and not a word would be said. Trust me this is not hearsay it is fact. Fulmer is my favorite UT coach of all time, but he has let his program get away from him. The recent record, and the fact that we are now looking up at LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and others reflects that. By the way that awful Vanderbilt team beat us last year right?

Edited by mhs

I did not intend to "pick" on Fulmer with my post. But do you honestly think his program is not lacking discipline? I know he cannot learn ahead of time about what guys are going to be like but until he kicks a starter off the team this trend will not likely change. And I disagree that you have to have a few cons around to have a successful program also. Discipline needs to be consistent and it is lacking on the hill. Last year players would get mad in practice and just walk off the field and not a word would be said. Trust me this is not hearsay it is fact. Fulmer is my favorite UT coach of all time, but he has let his program get away from him. The recent record, and the fact that we are now looking up at LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and others reflects that. By the way that awful Vanderbilt team beat us last year right?

Amen

I don't understand how Fulmer can be the blame? It's not like that he is the one drinking and driving on the sidewalk.

It over the young man has been sent home so stop talking about it. i waiting

to see who the next player will be to get caught. seems to me the police in

knoxville has a thing for UT players.

I think all college players are under a microscope! It's not hard to pick out a truck driving on the sidewalk, no matter who you are! Or waving a toy gun at police, come on now, this isn't brain surgery! If they wouldn't do stuff wrong then the police wouldn't have to be the bad guys in this!

Holy balls Batman,

I think we need to give our nickname to the community on the "other" side of I-75. "POWELL HAS IT". If you hang around Powell very long you might git "IT". I have looked back to page 5 of this post and nowhere is a post by my old buddy HTV. Don't blame ya bub, I wouldn't get on here and post either. Let's look at this from the git-go: lived in Powell when dad coached there, moved to Halls when dad left Powell, transfers to Central when Dad goes there to coach, Dad goes to Powell when he gets mad at Helton, son goes to Powell when he gets mad at basketball coach, smoke bomb at Target, drinking in high school, signs with UT, "alleged" inappropiate conduct with an administrator (who goes into his bedroom at 7:30 am to play a prank, with knowledge of parents), goes to summer school at UT, gets pulled over at 3:57 AM (if you can't git r dun before midnight, go home) drunk as Johnny Majors, hits a parked car. I mean the hits just keep on rollin'.

Now Powellfan, I am not making fun of the Smith's. If this young man does not get help quickly, it may be to late. At some point in time everyone must grow up and be accountable for their actions - Lee has not made this venture yet. And Daryl keeps covering his butt and that does not help anyone in that dysfunctional family. What are the younger brothers having to go through with their big brother facing all of this crap.

There is one tihing that is certain - this young man is a talented athlete. He just hasn't figured out all of the "other" stuff that he has to do to showcase his talents (go to class, make the grades, stay out of the papers, etc.) I hope he does get a second chance or third or fourth chance which ever it is, because he has the talent to play, he just doesn't have "IT".

sad situation for all involved but..... would these problems have been avoided if at some point someone had told this apparently talented athlete that he was going to play the hand he was dealt instead of jumping from school to school and ending up at Powell. Apparently Powell cares more about winning than having character and class and let him get away with way too much