Question about the Kingsport Times News

DZbettin

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Lane of the Kingsport Times-News is a truly great sportswriter.

There has never been much of a tradition of preseason discussion about high school sports in Kingsport other than the preseason preview pullout for football and basketball...TriCitiesSports.com is and will cover the scrimmages...the Times-News would just as soon print AP stories than send someone to cover a local story, or so it seems...however, in their defense, they have never covered D-B football in the preseason, so that part of their local sports attitude is consistant...Bill Lane of the Kingsport Times-News is a truly great sportswriter and will be well worth the price of the paper again this year to get his take on high school football (and high school sports as a whole).

Roll Tribe Roll

If I wanted to read a bunch of AP stories, I could go to ESPN.

They cover local football about as well as anyone.

I'm not familiar with their football coverage, but when concerning every other high school sport at DB, I have found Tricitiessports.com to be more informative.

If I wanted to read a bunch of AP stories, I could go to ESPN.

I'm not familiar with their football coverage, but when concerning every other high school sport at DB, I have found Tricitiessports.com to be more informative.

Most of their stuff is decent, but as far as it goes they are like most of the folks in the Tri Cities: pushing D-B to be No. 1 in the state when they know good and well they can't hang with the likes of Riverdale.

Most of their stuff is decent, but as far as it goes they are like most of the folks in the Tri Cities: pushing D-B to be No. 1 in the state when they know good and well they can't hang with the likes of Riverdale.

Two things.......

1) DB can "hang" with anybody in the state. Just ask anybody from Riverdale, MBA, Oak Ridge, or Maryville. Those four are the top teams in the state year in and year out.

2) If I want to read about the Gate City Blue Devils I'll pick up the Kingsport Times News. If I want to read about any other school I'll go to tricitiessports.com.

3) (well ok 3 things)......The Kingsport Times News is a JOKE. Top to Bottom!

• 4 weeks later...

The DB vs Bearden game didn't even make page 1 of the sports section. Instead you will find a very small blurb back inside the section listed under "from staff reports" :thumb: - meaning that they didn't send anyone and apparently listened to the radio or something to get their info. A real bunch of clowns running that paper. Bill Lane seems to be a decent sports writer but whoever decides story placement is missing something in the cranium. :(

Even the game between two local teams (South vs. Central) was relegated second to a game up in southwest Virginia (not Gate City - I could have lived with that). Amazing! The SW VA game got the color pictures and headline story. I think the South/Central game should have been #1 and the DB/Bearden game should have made the front page of the sports section along with the Sullivan North game.

For some reason, the Times News seems to want to s**k up to SW VA.

So just stick with the free online section. You're not missing anything.

Edited by DBGRAD70

I agree I have had a problem with it also. It is back and forth though. I have seen a DB game on the actually front-page of the paper...of course that is when nothing else is going on....but they do need change something it's very frustrating...I thought Kingsport was in Tenn...not Virgina my mistake need to go back to geography class I guess :blink: