SCIENCE HILL vs. TENNESSEE HIGH

PowrPlus

Some things we are positive of:

1. Science Hill is not Betsy- they are stronger and faster on both sides of the ball especially on defense. They don't have the turmoil that Betsy is going through and are still trying to keep their record intact heading into confrence play. They will not mail it in when the breaks go against them.

2. Science Hill's offense is still trying to find itself but it is good enough to get bye most teams in this area on talent and size. Tennessee High's defense hasn't been tested to this point. Yes their two games were suppose to be against good offenses but they weren't. If Science Hill moves the ball effectively, see number 3.

3. Tennessee High hasn't showed itself yet. Why? Some of it has to do with not having to and some of it may be keeping your cards close to the vest. Science Hill will have the best defense that the Vikings have seen to this point, if they get into passing situations will they be able to handle the pressure that this defense will be able to bring with their front 4?

4. Special Teams will be an factor. Science Hill's kickoff and punt coverage teams will minimize any return opportunities and their return teams are TDs waiting to happen. Haven't seen anything in TH's to make me think that SH doesn't have an advantage.

5. Backup qbs may be the difference. I believe that The Hill has one that can be an spark, does TH have one? I don't want to see anyone get hurt but I believe that Thomas will take alot of hard hits in this game and will he be able to keep his composure.

6. Speed. Science Hill has alot all over the place, if you didn't see Jordan Castle(de) chase down the Central running back. They will be able to make up for mistakes and take advantage of them.

7. Coaching.I give this one to TH based on the fact that they all seem to be on the same page all the time. This will be the most disciplined team that the Toppers have played this season and they will need to be able to execute, execute execute because the Vikings will be doing just that.

8. Atmosphere. I believe that Science Hill will be louder and if they can jump up early they will kill any homefield advantage in this one. I like the stadium and the atmosphere but if the close location and the size of Science Hill band (and their parents) the visitor side will be filled. The weather's finally looking good and it will be an packed house with an incredible atmosphere for high school football.

With all these factors and a few more that I have knowledge of, I'm still leary on making an predication on this one. I know that Science Hill will have to come out ready for this one or they will get hit in the mouth and I don't know if they are a team that can "wake up" or get knocked out. This is as good a game they could be playing before heading to Sevier County next week, will they be thinking about that? Lots of questions.......and I don't have nearly the answers that I would like to have. I know that there are fired up Hilltoppers looking forward to this game and that they will be ready.

Hilltoppers by 8. :lol:

Edited by topvol98

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was an oxymoronic statement!! How did you come to that conclusion after watching THS close out the first half of the game with a 34-0 lead and SHHS closed out the first half against the same team with barely a 7 point lead???? If you’re just looking at the two games it’s not hard to do the math! :lol:

Let me just remind you of the post game headlines for both teams on tricitiesspots.com….

Thomas Sparks Vikings Past Cyclones, 35-6

VS.

Science Hill Holds Off Elizabethton, 21-7

Call it what you will . . . It is what it is -_-

The Hill by 12 or more!

Alright being new to this area and going to watch Elizabethon and Tennessee high last friday and seeing Science Hill play there is one thing very few people out there is talking about is SPEED and by the looks of it Science Hill has plenty of it. I think Tennessee High is a fine football team but the kids at Science Hill can straight get after you. As I said before Science Hill front four are very good bunch speed, power define the group to a tee. Science Hill linebacking corp is very fast with #54 in the middle. My prediction Science Hill by 14. good luck to both teams on friday.

Some things we are positive of:

1. Science Hill is not Betsy- they are stronger and faster on both sides of the ball especially on defense. They don't have the turmoil that Betsy is going through and are still trying to keep their record intact heading into confrence play. They will not mail it in when the breaks go against them.

2. Science Hill's offense is still trying to find itself but it is good enough to get bye most teams in this area on talent and size. Tennessee High's defense hasn't been tested to this point. Yes their two games were suppose to be against good offenses but they weren't. If Science Hill moves the ball effectively, see number 3.

3. Tennessee High hasn't showed itself yet. Why? Some of it has to do with not having to and some of it may be keeping your cards close to the vest. Science Hill will have the best defense that the Vikings have seen to this point, if they get into passing situations will they be able to handle the pressure that this defense will be able to bring with their front 4?

4. Special Teams will be an factor. Science Hill's kickoff and punt coverage teams will minimize any return opportunities and their return teams are TDs waiting to happen. Haven't seen anything in TH's to make me think that SH doesn't have an advantage.

5. Backup qbs may be the difference. I believe that The Hill has one that can be an spark, does TH have one? I don't want to see anyone get hurt but I believe that Thomas will take alot of hard hits in this game and will he be able to keep his composure.

6. Speed. Science Hill has alot all over the place, if you didn't see Jordan Castle(de) chase down the Central running back. They will be able to make up for mistakes and take advantage of them.

7. Coaching.I give this one to TH based on the fact that they all seem to be on the same page all the time. This will be the most disciplined team that the Toppers have played this season and they will need to be able to execute, execute execute because the Vikings will be doing just that.

8. Atmosphere. I believe that Science Hill will be louder and if they can jump up early they will kill any homefield advantage in this one. I like the stadium and the atmosphere but if the close location and the size of Science Hill band (and their parents) the visitor side will be filled. The weather's finally looking good and it will be an packed house with an incredible atmosphere for high school football.

With all these factors and a few more that I have knowledge of, I'm still leary on making an predication on this one. I know that Scienc Hill will have to come out ready for this one or they will get hit in the mouth and I don't know if they are a team that can "wake up" or get knocked out. This is as good a game they could be playing before heading to Sevier County next week, will they be thinking about that? Lots of questions.......and I don't have nearly the answers that I would like to have. I know that there are fired up Hilltoppers looking forward to this game and that they will be ready.

Hilltoppers by 8. ;)

Tennessee is neither Central or Elizabethton. It's pretty safe to say the Hilltoppers haven't been tested either.....or have they? It would also be fair to say that this is the toughest team Science Hill will face thus far.

The Hill may have an advantage on special teams, but Perrin has kicked several kickoffs in the endzone this season.

Mason Canty and Taylor Harmon have received some playing time under center this season. One of Tenn High's 3 completions was thrown by Canty. I doubt they will play Friday.

Science Hill definately has some speed. However Tennessee's runningbacks shouldn't be put in the same category as Central's.

Agree with you on the coaching statement. After seeing quite a few Science Hill teams, I believe this team is primarily where they're at based on talent.

Attendance was pretty low last week. Hope it picks up some for this game.

I will agree with you in theory Topvol …Science Hill holds most of the cards in this match up. The question is will they ever figure out how to play them??? And I think you should give the Cyclones a little credit. I was at the game and it was anybodies game until late in the fourth quarter when the Hilltoppers were able to capitalize on a Cyclone turnover and put the game away. The Cyclones were however able to punch out 231 (168 yards rushing) hard earned yards total offense against the fast and speedy defense of the Hilltoppers compared to 263 total O for Science Hill. True enough…they didn’t put on a good showing against the Vikings…but the question there would be…is the Viking D that good to hold the Cyclones to only 185 yards total offense (24 carries for 38 yards rushing)? Did the Cyclones fall off the boat that much in one week?? Just a little fuel for the fire…Science Hill had to play its starters through out the entire game, so make no mistake about it that was a game till the end. The Vikings were able to slide in MANY of their reserves midway through the third quarter after enjoying a 34-0 halftime lead. Now how many of those 185 yards were against the reserves…I’m not sure. But their only touchdown was. I’m looking forward to this game more and more as the week goes by. Being the obvious underdogs, the Vikings have a lot to prove.

Just a little fuel for the fire…Science Hill had to play its starters through out the entire game, so make no mistake about it that was a game till the end. The Vikings were able to slide in MANY of their reserves midway through the third quarter after enjoying a 34-0 halftime lead. Now how many of those 185 yards were against the reserves…I’m not sure. But their only touchdown was. I’m looking forward to this game more and more as the week goes by. Being the obvious underdogs, the Vikings have a lot to prove.

Quite an intriguing matchup. Anybody's guess who will win but looking at Cap's post, I see some positives for the Vikes. Elizabethton got thier yardage in the second half from a 'softer' TN High defense that was in somewhat of a prevent (no long plays) and full of reserves by the middle of the 3rd & 4th. SH did have to play starters the whole game and it was anobody's game until the last couple of minutes. I feel SHs main strength is thier defense. They fly to the ball very well up front and they play good pass defense in the back end. This is also true of the Vikings although thier pass defense may not be as strong as SH. They (Vikings) are not slow but don't have the speed we have seen in them the previous couple of years. Although I think Elizabethton was physically and mentally spent by the time they met up with TN High, I think TN High's run game is stronger than SH. I believe SH will have to pass more than they want to and that is a weak point.........now that is if they don't use Scott more effectively in the run game. SH does have a good wide screen to thier RB with the receivers taking the DBs downfield. And you could go on and on and on about both teams strengths and weaknesses. I still think it will be a low scoring, defensive game. Of course, I'm wrong all of the time ;)

Edited by GLee

Cap, you do have some good points but let's not forget some other points to consider. Against Science Hill,121 of the the 231 yards were on the ground (go check tricitiessports.com). Over 100 of the 121 rushing yards were by Smith on scrambles(he didn't play the whole game at TH). Seventy plus of those 231 yards came on the one drive and Betsy wasn't cross midfield but once (maybe twice) the rest of the game. Science Hill's offense did not help the defense and that is an concern going into this game but if The Hill hadn't missed the field goal or even scored a touchdown on the drive that would have put them up two sores an route may have been on. TH jumped on Betsy early and after the second score they seemed to have laid down and after Smith left the game not only did they lose their only rushing option they also lost what seems to be the leader on both sides of the ball. I believe they were more fired up for the Science Hill game and Science Hill's offense didn't attemp an pass until the fourth quarter which kept them in the game. I know the score indicated that Betsy was still in the game but they weren't able to move the ball and really never threaten the game. That might explain why the Betsy fans cleared the stadium with over 4 minutes left the game down by two touchdowns because the game was over.

This game scares me to death because the offensive stats are misleading for Science Hill. All of their scores have either been big plays or started inside the oppnents 30 after an turnover. I'm not sure if they can drive for an win at this point and this game will be a good chance to find out. The Vikings are an very disciplined defense with some good players and I'm not sure that the crossing pattern that Anderson has scored on the past couple of games will be there. I'm sure that the Viking coaching staff has seen the films and know that the vertical game that they saw last year has yet to be seen. I know that they will try to bottle up the option from getting outside and I'm not sure what kind of leaders that are on our offensive side of the ball. I just think that TH will also be facing the best team that they have faced on both sides of the ball. We know that Science Hill's defense can go an whole game can TH's? We know that Science Hill can have the potential for big plays in the passing game, does TH? While they have given up rushing yards, this Science Hill defense hasn't gave up but one more point than the Vikings. I believe that the depth that Science Hill has in the trenches and with the speed positions will be the difference. I think Science Hill can win catch up if they fall behind but not sure with the Vikings. I also believe that this offense has another gear and is still waiting to find it and once this defense has an lead it can be lights out with their speed. It's setting up to be an great game and I'm getting pumped!!!

Toppers by 8