Franklin at Independence 9/15/06

indyrep

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it is debatable whether Independence has the best quarterback at the starting position. Independence is loaded with four great quarterbacks; any of them is capable of carrying this team.

QB Kevin Lawrence can march down the field and can take many knocks. He has a beautiful spiral for a pass. Kevin is the key quarterback that started the winning streak. He is the most underutilized and underrated quarterback on the team.

QB Nick Smith is an explosive passer and can score very quickly. He kept this team going when the other quarterbacks went down with injuries or academic problems.

QB Emory Martin is a great passer and a great runner. This is a rare commodity found on any team. He is very physical and has terrific speed. He is also a very smart playing quarterback and is a great leader. He can put the ball in the end zone from behind the 50 yard line.

QB Zach Cordell is one of the greatest passers in high school football. He can put the ball in the end zone from anywhere on the football field. We all know what he can do. He has impressive statistics and really has this team rolling.

Here are some interesting facts:

Zach Cordell has a phenomenal 69% pass completion rate.

Nick Smith has a more phenomenal 86% pass completion rate.

Emory Martin has a most phenomenal 100% pass completion rate.

No quarterback at Independence has thrown an interception this year. :thumb:

Zach Cordell averages 14 yards per completion.

Nick Smith averages 8 yards per completion.

Emory Martin averages 3 yards per completion.

Emory Martin plays only ½ quarter a game on offense; however, he is number 2 in rushing and number 3 in scoring for the team.

Source of facts above: See www.tennessean.com ;)

As you can see, the quarterback situation at Independence is very competitive. It is also very political.

Zach Cordell’s dad is loaded with money and is a great supporter of the athletic program. This greatly impresses Athletic Director Darren Henrie and Head Football Coach Scott Smith. They are very big into politics and money. Zach Cordell’s dad has tremendous power and influence on how Coach Smith handles the quarterback situation. This gives Zach Cordell the upper hand as starting quarterback. ;)

This game will give Zach Cordell the opportunity to prove he is an All-American. If there is any weakness in Zach as a quarterback, it may be in speed and mobility. Perhaps the only way to stop Zach is to blitz the quarterback. This will require getting thru one of the greatest offensive lines in high school football. [Rebel Cheer: Sack Zach, Sack Zach, Sack Zach]. Even if the Franklin defense is successful in sacking the quarterback, the football may already be in the end zone for a touchdown. Regardless of Zach Cordell’s performance against Franklin, I still consider him a great quarterback.

We can glorify Zach Cordell, Chris Darnell, Jeff Veres, Issac Baugh, Emory Martin, Scott Pettigrew, Ryan Consiglio, Nick Smith, Devlin Sheffield, Terone Shepherd, Alex Reece, Ben Parker and Kevin Lawrence and others all we want. The real group of superstars that deserve all the stars and medals is the line (Thomas Berry, Jarad Haney, Nate Stout, Josh Grisby and Scotty Hazzard). These are the generals that will take this team to glory. Whoever is line coach at Independence deserves coach of the year award.

If Coach Smith utilizes the talents of all his quarterbacks, he will take his team to a stunning upset victory [independence by 10] over Franklin and take Independence on to the state championship. :)

If Scott chooses to play politics, he will make a pompous fool out of himself and Franklin will run all over our eaglets. [Franklin by 40]. :(

Wow,

Somebody needs some Prozac (no pun intended) bad. I have not seen Independence play in person, but I have seen them on Channel 3, and Cordell is the real deal. Yeah, his daddy may have some money and what not, but the kid has some serious talent and his skill set fits what Scott Smith wants to do on offense. I think its sad that someone has to accuse his family, Scott, and the AD at Indy of political motives being the reason he's playing. He's only leading the Midstate in passing, his team is undefeated right now, and I bet Jeff Rutledge wishes he still had him, considering how his QB situation has turned out because of injury. I KNOW Scott Smith and he wants to win games. If he felt that any of the other three QB's gave the Eagles the best chance to win, they would be in the lineup. I see he uses the Martin kid as a change of pace to run his zone read package and I bet he's developing another young guy to take over in the future, that is Scott's nature. I just can't believe with all the excitement Scott Smith has brought to your program Eaglet517, that you would take a cheap shot.

You wouldn't be happy with 100% employment, zero inflation, the end of the war in Iraq, the death of Osama bin Laden, the Titans going 16-0, Jessica Alba as your girlfriend.......you'd still probably find something to be po'd about. Just shows that you can't please everybody.

I will go with Franklin in a down year, flat year, or up year against the Eagles.

Franklin will win for many reasons I hope.....but there is one more reason that Indy may lose and that is ol' smitty will out think himself somewhere during the game and give franklin a great opportunity.

Bulldog, Bulldog, Bulldog,

There you go Smitty hating again. Stay over on the 1A-3A board and talk about your Patriots. :thumb:

Nicely put...I am very familiar with Indy's run game. Just thinking out loud that they may move the ball better through the air since Franklin has not had to face a "passing' team yet this year. I've seen Franklin do a nice job shutting down the run. This game will be a fun one to watch but I go with Franklin based on their experience in big games.

cpk,

Franklin has a very, very good defense that can shut the run down or the pass down, but can they shut down a team that can do both? FR was one dimensional and they could key on the run. Ravenwood was ineffective because of their QB situation and dealing with the Franklin defense. How Indy's O-line handles the quickness of the Franklin pass rush will be the key to this game. In about 11 hours we'll know for sure.

cpk,

Franklin has a very, very good defense that can shut the run down or the pass down, but can they shut down a team that can do both? FR was one dimensional and they could key on the run. Ravenwood was ineffective because of their QB situation and dealing with the Franklin defense. How Indy's O-line handles the quickness of the Franklin pass rush will be the key to this game. In about 11 hours we'll know for sure.

Thanks for the info...I was at the Ravenwood game and RHS was also(like Father Ryan) one dimensional due to Becker being out. So, I did not see Franklin's DB's get any work against the pass. Franklin does bring pressure and Frohock, Dykes and others may be to quick for Indy to deal with up front. For those Indy fans thinking that their O-Line is "special" you will have an answer tonight.

Also, it's nice having a couple more teams in the Region (Indy and Dickson County) become threats to win each week. Last few years it was only a battle for fourth among some very average teams.

Lets take a quick Poll on good ole CoachT...Shall we?

Which of the following BACKUP Indy QB's or their Dad's or maybe even their Mommies submitted this post?

Martin

Lawrence

Smith

The stats you posted mean little to nothing, except for the impressive numbers that have been posted by Cordell thus far. Stats obtained in mop-up duty are very inflated!

You seem to be a very disgruntled, SELFISH individual. Your kind will only tarnish a quality group of players and a quality team.

You should really consider seeking professional help...you are a very sad case.

If you are seeing or following the same Eagle team that I am....Smith is DEFINATELY utilizing the talents of his QB crew. A solid, consistent starter in Cordell who is lighting it up (And winning games), a Run Threat/Change of Pace QB in Martin that does run hard, but cannot make all throws and the remainder getting JV work!

Enough of this nonsense...support your team or shut the he///// up!

I nominate this as post of the year. ;)

Wow,

Somebody needs some Prozac (no pun intended) bad. I have not seen Independence play in person, but I have seen them on Channel 3, and Cordell is the real deal. Yeah, his daddy may have some money and what not, but the kid has some serious talent and his skill set fits what Scott Smith wants to do on offense. I think its sad that someone has to accuse his family, Scott, and the AD at Indy of political motives being the reason he's playing. He's only leading the Midstate in passing, his team is undefeated right now, and I bet Jeff Rutledge wishes he still had him, considering how his QB situation has turned out because of injury. I KNOW Scott Smith and he wants to win games. If he felt that any of the other three QB's gave the Eagles the best chance to win, they would be in the lineup. I see he uses the Martin kid as a change of pace to run his zone read package and I bet he's developing another young guy to take over in the future, that is Scott's nature. I just can't believe with all the excitement Scott Smith has brought to your program Eaglet517, that you would take a cheap shot.

You wouldn't be happy with 100% employment, zero inflation, the end of the war in Iraq, the death of Osama bin Laden, the Titans going 16-0, Jessica Alba as your girlfriend.......you'd still probably find something to be po'd about. Just shows that you can't please everybody.

I nominate this as runner up for post of the year.

Well, it is debatable whether Independence has the best quarterback at the starting position. Independence is loaded with four great quarterbacks; any of them is capable of carrying this team.

QB Kevin Lawrence can march down the field and can take many knocks. He has a beautiful spiral for a pass. Kevin is the key quarterback that started the winning streak. He is the most underutilized and underrated quarterback on the team.

QB Nick Smith is an explosive passer and can score very quickly. He kept this team going when the other quarterbacks went down with injuries or academic problems.

QB Emory Martin is a great passer and a great runner. This is a rare commodity found on any team. He is very physical and has terrific speed. He is also a very smart playing quarterback and is a great leader. He can put the ball in the end zone from behind the 50 yard line.

QB Zach Cordell is one of the greatest passers in high school football. He can put the ball in the end zone from anywhere on the football field. We all know what he can do. He has impressive statistics and really has this team rolling.

Here are some interesting facts:

Zach Cordell has a phenomenal 69% pass completion rate.

Nick Smith has a more phenomenal 86% pass completion rate.

Emory Martin has a most phenomenal 100% pass completion rate.

No quarterback at Independence has thrown an interception this year. ;)

Zach Cordell averages 14 yards per completion.

Nick Smith averages 8 yards per completion.

Emory Martin averages 3 yards per completion.

Emory Martin plays only ½ quarter a game on offense; however, he is number 2 in rushing and number 3 in scoring for the team.

Source of facts above: See www.tennessean.com :blink:

As you can see, the quarterback situation at Independence is very competitive. It is also very political.

Zach Cordell’s dad is loaded with money and is a great supporter of the athletic program. This greatly impresses Athletic Director Darren Henrie and Head Football Coach Scott Smith. They are very big into politics and money. Zach Cordell’s dad has tremendous power and influence on how Coach Smith handles the quarterback situation. This gives Zach Cordell the upper hand as starting quarterback. ;)

This game will give Zach Cordell the opportunity to prove he is an All-American. If there is any weakness in Zach as a quarterback, it may be in speed and mobility. Perhaps the only way to stop Zach is to blitz the quarterback. This will require getting thru one of the greatest offensive lines in high school football. [Rebel Cheer: Sack Zach, Sack Zach, Sack Zach]. Even if the Franklin defense is successful in sacking the quarterback, the football may already be in the end zone for a touchdown. Regardless of Zach Cordell’s performance against Franklin, I still consider him a great quarterback.

We can glorify Zach Cordell, Chris Darnell, Jeff Veres, Issac Baugh, Emory Martin, Scott Pettigrew, Ryan Consiglio, Nick Smith, Devlin Sheffield, Terone Shepherd, Alex Reece, Ben Parker and Kevin Lawrence and others all we want. The real group of superstars that deserve all the stars and medals is the line (Thomas Berry, Jarad Haney, Nate Stout, Josh Grisby and Scotty Hazzard). These are the generals that will take this team to glory. Whoever is line coach at Independence deserves coach of the year award.

If Coach Smith utilizes the talents of all his quarterbacks, he will take his team to a stunning upset victory [independence by 10] over Franklin and take Independence on to the state championship. :)

If Scott chooses to play politics, he will make a pompous fool out of himself and Franklin will run all over our eaglets. [Franklin by 40]. :(

I don't know how to put this any way elso, but stop posting this crap. I would have used other words but you would han seen a lot of #######. IF you are actually a disgruntled IHS player or parent, your acusations are baseless and hurt all of the kids and coaches that have busted their butts to get better. Keep you thoughts to yourself or at least don't post them to be read. Again, if you are a disgruntled player or parent, have you talked to Coach Smith. I am not a rocket scientist, but Stevie Wonder could see that Cordell is the best fit for the type offense that Coach Smith wants to run. Emory Martin is a really good, hard-nosed change of pace QB that give the offense the run/pass option. Nick Smith plays within himself and makes very few mistakes. Kevin Lawrence is hard-nosed and as tough as they come. Any team in the state would kill to have 4 QBs like the 4 Indy has.

Now for your stats. I know them personally. Zach is 43 of 62 (69.3%), Nick is 6 of 7 (85.7%) and Emory is 1-1 (100%). Which of these 3 actually impresses you the most? Now answer it objectively.

Now, if you are a non-IHS player/student/parent you are a sick individual spreading this crap around. There is absolutely no way that Scott Smith would play a qb or any player because of politics. And Henrie would not tell him who to play. I don't care how much money Cordell has or doesn't have. Scott Smith and other coaches keep being a coach if you consistently win ball games the right way (unless you are the Centennial coach). He will play the QB that best gives him the chance to win ball games whether that is Cordell, Martin, Smith or Lawrence.

IHS is 3-0 after a very tough (mental and physical) year. Posting this crap puts a damper on everything they have worked so hard for.

I don't know how to put this any way elso, but stop posting this crap. I would have used other words but you would han seen a lot of #######. IF you are actually a disgruntled IHS player or parent, your acusations are baseless and hurt all of the kids and coaches that have busted their butts to get better. Keep you thoughts to yourself or at least don't post them to be read. Again, if you are a disgruntled player or parent, have you talked to Coach Smith. I am not a rocket scientist, but Stevie Wonder could see that Cordell is the best fit for the type offense that Coach Smith wants to run. Emory Martin is a really good, hard-nosed change of pace QB that give the offense the run/pass option. Nick Smith plays within himself and makes very few mistakes. Kevin Lawrence is hard-nosed and as tough as they come. Any team in the state would kill to have 4 QBs like the 4 Indy has.

Now for your stats. I know them personally. Zach is 43 of 62 (69.3%), Nick is 6 of 7 (85.7%) and Emory is 1-1 (100%). Which of these 3 actually impresses you the most? Now answer it objectively.

Now, if you are a non-IHS player/student/parent you are a sick individual spreading this crap around. There is absolutely no way that Scott Smith would play a qb or any player because of politics. And Henrie would not tell him who to play. I don't care how much money Cordell has or doesn't have. Scott Smith and other coaches keep being a coach if you consistently win ball games the right way (unless you are the Centennial coach). He will play the QB that best gives him the chance to win ball games whether that is Cordell, Martin, Smith or Lawrence.

IHS is 3-0 after a very tough (mental and physical) year. Posting this crap puts a damper on everything they have worked so hard for.

OK....I nominate this as runner up for post of the year, behind mine of course! ;)

Good Luck to Coach Smith, Coach Eubanks and the rest of the IHS staff and most of all the players and fans!

I nominate this as runner up for post of the year.

2nd the nomination...we may never see a post as ridiculous as the one from Eaglet in our lifetimes. Unless of course Indy wins...then EVERY player will be declared an "all-american" and best of all time by the "baby eagle"!!!

Bulldog, Bulldog, Bulldog,

There you go Smitty hating again. Stay over on the 1A-3A board and talk about your Patriots. :thumb:

You forget that I "live" in the Indy school zone and I don't hate the guy just don't respect him...he just doesn't earn any respect esp from opposing coaches and players.......remember this.....depth and smitty's calls....that's all you need to know....plus two weeks off ...I see a little rust.....Franklin must play keep away. Coach Webb's defense at Franklin will need to step it up.

Congrats to Independence, 23-17 win over Franklin. Franklin was up 17-0 and never scored again. The player of the game should be the back for IHS, he dominated the second half. IHS is a dangerous team, they have the best quarterback that I have seen in the region and now have a running game, if their recievers can catch some long balls the post season should be interesting.