Let's hear it Alcoa fans..........

MLREB

Reed lost two games the last two years and stacked up two state championship trophies. Rankin....the savior and guaranteed conqueror of Maryville, has lost two of his first three games, one to Maryville just like Reed and one to another team....not like Reed. After the Maryville game it was said by most if not every Alcoa fan that this years team is better than last year. So what do you say now? Most on this board bashed Reed but his coaching and success at Alcoa seems to currently be better than Rankin. Agree....disagree.....let's hear it and what is your reasoning?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reed lost two games the last two years and stacked up two state championship trophies. Rankin....the savior and guaranteed conqueror of Maryville, has lost two of his first three games, one to Maryville just like Reed and one to another team....not like Reed. After the Maryville game it was said by most if not every Alcoa fan that this years team is better than last year. So what do you say now? Most on this board bashed Reed but his coaching and success at Alcoa seems to currently be better than Rankin. Agree....disagree.....let's hear it and what is your reasoning?

Disagree. You have to give a coach at least some time to adjust. He is comming from a five A powerhouse to a AA powerhouse. If you were expecting and undefeated season his first year then your not gonna get that out of any new coach.

i think he is way too conservative and doesnt utilize the talent Alcoa has. Riverdale never had a fourth of the talent Alcoa did and he won there by being conservative and grinding the ball down the midlde. I dont think he is utilizing the talent at Alcoa.

You're Crazy!!!!!

Riverdale has been loaded over the years and Rankin has been blessed to get to coach great players.

Another post about how bad Rankin stinks.... Well he doesn't sorry he is rated #3 in the state so obviously he doesn't stink your just not used to playing another good team like Fulton. The only reason it got out of hand last year was because of the situation in school. If Alcoa moved up to 3A it would be tougher on you all cause you got Fulton and Catholic to contend with. Not saying Alcoa doesn't have the ability to play with them cause they definatly are good and can play with any team!! Maybe you all should try and humble yourselves a little bit your not unbeatable ;-p

First of all.......I believe The 2 loses Alcoa has, may in fact be to the `2006 4A and 3A state champions?

Again those two loses were by 3 points?

Wow, then Alcoa has an excellent McCallie team traveling to Alcoa. A team that might have enough Offensive fire power to win division II?

Thats a tough schedule for a new coach to inherit. BUT, Rankin is not your typical coach. He has coached at the highest level.

For the most part he as brought a lot of good things to Alcoa. Here are three that come to mind.

-The first being discipline. I like how he makes the team dress up on Fridays. Very classy. Their "actions" on the field, really show Rankins discipline!

-The second is allowing the asst. coaches the trust to make the calls. Brian Nix the Defensive Coor. that coached under Reid, has really excelled under Rankin.

-And third, With his hiring, The alcoa school system agreed to some needed improvements to the facility. Improvements that will help ensure football IS Alcoa, and Alcoa IS football. That's the enviroment that will continue to bring out 100 players for football in a school of 450 students.

Now, for the differences in Rankin and Reid:

I not sure if its for watching Reid's team with Lindsey,Warren, and Figler or the lack of these three great players or Rankin's offensive play calling, But it seems that the offense this year is a little vanilla or conservative?

It seemed that Alcoa was more explosive the last couple of years? Again I'll be the first to admitted I'm a bleacher coach and a bad one to boot, But I could not help think, Why don't you do this or that? example, Fulton last friday was coming after QB Cobb almost every play. They were in the back field sometimes as fast as Cobb got the ball. Simple screen plays designed to take advantage of this "over presuit" would have made them play more "honest" after getting the ball tossed over their heads or and quick throw to the outside? I don't know maybe it comes down to the fact that both Maryville and Fulton's defensive lines just won the game in the trenches? I just would have liked to seen a little more production out of the offense!

But, overall I'm very happy to have Rankin at Alcoa!

Again, It would not suprise ne to see Maryville 4a Champs, Fulton 3A Champs, & Alcoa 2A Champs! :thumb:

I doubt anyone imagined at the ned of last year and before rankin was hired that Alcoa would play maryville that close, yes the loss to fulton was a loss, but to a very good 3a team, and McCallie has every chance of beating Alcoa, and vice-versa. I heard people saying well, Rankin is 1-2, I guess he'll have to wait till next year to be better than Reid, well, he had high expectations and a very tough schedule, the difference between the first and second half was line play, yes he is a little more conservative than I like, but, he knows more than I ever will, of course every father and ex player in the stands knows what to call after the play, except they don't make the call before the play, and I don't believe they have coached any 5A champs. Rankin will keep this program competitive, yes loses happen, but they came to deserving teams. If they lose to Loudon my opinion may change, but I don't forsee that. Rankin will do well. I would like to see the deap threat used though.

:lol: y'all have the probably the toughest schedule in the state and are crying about the head coach? i agree with bcsportsfan marryville and fulton could be state champs this year and alcoa took 'em to the wire. give the man a chance. you've not lost any region games and your non region games are BRUTAL so just be cool

Conservative play calling has been the biggest critique of Rankin, and I have been very guilty of this, but like I said earlier in the Maryville/Alcoa board, why would Rankin want to bring out everything in his playbook for non-region games? Yes, Maryville means a lot to Alcoa, and yes beating bigger schools like Fulton and McCallie are really nice, but would you rather have a win against Maryville, or a state championship ring? To me thats a no brainer, I would take the ring without hesitation. Rankin is giving Randall time to develop early in the season here, I think people tend to forget that this is Randalls first time playing QB for Alcoa whent the score wasnt already 42-0. Joei developed into a great QB, but if you remember it took him 1 to 1 1/2 years to develop into that great QB. Also in Reid's first season as coach, Alcoa struggled to score points early in the season and people were saying the same things, the playing calling is too conservative and vanilla and he needs to use his weapons more. As the season went on Joei got more comfortable with the offense and Alcoa began to score points in bunches. Give Randall a little more time to develop and Rankin a little more time to totally feel out his offense and you will start to see the scoreboard lighting up again at Goddard Field like always. Alcoa has too many weapons to not accomplish this.

By the way, Coach Reid is 1-0 at his new school with a 42-16 opening game victory.

Edited by alcoa06

Conservative play calling has been the biggest critique of Rankin, and I have been very guilty of this, but like I said earlier in the Maryville/Alcoa board, why would Rankin want to bring out everything in his playbook for non-region games? Yes, Maryville means a lot to Alcoa, and yes beating bigger schools like Fulton and McCallie are really nice, but would you rather have a win against Maryville, or a state championship ring? To me thats a no brainer, I would take the ring without hesitation. Rankin is giving Randall time to develop early in the season here, I think people tend to forget that this is Randalls first time playing QB for Alcoa whent the score wasnt already 42-0. Joei developed into a great QB, but if you remember it took him 1 to 1 1/2 years to develop into that great QB. Also in Reid's first season as coach, Alcoa struggled to score points early in the season and people were saying the same things, the playing calling is too conservative and vanilla and he needs to use his weapons more. As the season went on Joei got more comfortable with the offense and Alcoa began to score points in bunches. Give Randall a little more time to develop and Rankin a little more time to totally feel out his offense and you will start to see the scoreboard lighting up again at Goddard Field like always. Alcoa has too many weapons to not accomplish this.

By the way, Coach Reid is 1-0 at his new school with a 42-16 opening game victory.

Reed's first year team was very young and still developing tallent. As stated by most Alcoa fans this team is better than last years and lasts years has been declared by some at Alcoa as the best ever.