TSSAA rules

58Indians22

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter if they can hear or not. It's a TSSAA rule, and plain good sportsmanship. At the game I was at last night, the opposing band played while the ball was in play a couple of times, and at the end of the game, before the play and for a little bit while it was in progress played one note as loud as they could. That's against TSSAA rules and horrible sportsmanship.

First of all, the TSSAA is getting ridiculous with all of their rules. Not only is this a bad rule (if it is still a rule), but a lot of their rules are questionable. What about keeping the chains 6 feet off of the playing field? I know we have to have rules, but I believe some of them need rethinking. Secondly, this is high school. Let the kids have fun. If they want to play their instruments, let them play. And last, I know we need good sportsmanship, but this entire country has become so freaking politically correct that it is now filtering into high school football games. This rule takes away from one of the best things about high school football, the band playing and getting the crowd into the game. This is not bad sportsmanship. It is simply kids doing what they love while trying to support their team at the same time.

The TSSAA does not make the rules. The National Federation of State High School Associations makes the rules that 48 of the 50 states use for high school games.

The TSSAA uses the National Federation rule book, but they also can add or ammend any rule they would like. The TSSAA changes rules or adds rules that are not in the nfhsa every year.

Any state association can ammend rules if they wish, but for the most part each state follows the nfhs rule book. Except, of course, the two states that do not use the nfhs rules.

I agree, but what this means is that the nfhs rule book is a guideline and each individual state is able to ammend any rules they would like. So the TSSAA does make the rules for TN high school athletics as does every other state association.

it should not be a rule .. its part of the game (unless you got a 10 member band).. but i see it all the time.. in most cases the 2 bands take turns when the opposing team is on offense ...then they go at each other, makes for a better game ..IMO

Edited by boski

I agree as long as you don;t play while a player is hurt like Ooltewah does and you have respect the opposing team and their band like Ooltewah does not then you should be fine. Really I've never seen any band with less class then The marching hooters. I guess thats why their a joke at the band of AMerica competition and didn;t go back this year. I guess when it comes to band Money cant by you talent

Dude shut-up and go back to the flute! i have never seen Ooltewah play when a player is hurt, and Ooltewahs band is much better than anybody around here in Chattanooga, and dont get mad because their parents have money and you dont!

First of all, the TSSAA is getting ridiculous with all of their rules. Not only is this a bad rule (if it is still a rule), but a lot of their rules are questionable. What about keeping the chains 6 feet off of the playing field? I know we have to have rules, but I believe some of them need rethinking. Secondly, this is high school. Let the kids have fun. If they want to play their instruments, let them play. And last, I know we need good sportsmanship, but this entire country has become so freaking politically correct that it is now filtering into high school football games. This rule takes away from one of the best things about high school football, the band playing and getting the crowd into the game. This is not bad sportsmanship. It is simply kids doing what they love while trying to support their team at the same time.

I agree with you. In fact, I love the band, I'm a part of the WB band. I do think that they band plays a big part in the HS football atmosphere. However, I do not think that they should be used to purposely distract the other team.

Everybody wants to gripe and moan about the opposing band when they get beat. Nobody complains if they win. Also, when was the last time you thanked your band for being there to support the team. If they didn't show up the fans would be complaining about that as well. Remember in most schools, the band works just as hard as the football team, and they also get a grade for what they do. There are some football teams and players out there that would definitely fail if they got a grade for their performance.