Smyrna vs. Ravenwood

Live4FridayNite615

A player that does that should be gone.

It was not the players doing it that particular game. It was the fans spitting dip on the R'dale players when they went in for half time. It backfired though as it only made R'dale REALLY mad and they took it out on the Smyrna team the second half and ran the score even higher.

It also came back to bite Smyrna in the playoff game at R'dale when the 'Dale' beat them even worse. It was so bad that the coaches even had to go on the field between the teams to keep a fight from breaking out after the game.

There are players who STILL remember that game on the current team.

I figure with everyone having a bye week 7 that a bunch of threads are gonna get locked before week 8's game between R'dale and Smyrna.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was not the players doing it that particular game. It was the fans spitting dip on the R'dale players when they went in for half time. It backfired though as it only made R'dale REALLY mad and they took it out on the Smyrna team the second half and ran the score even higher.

It also came back to bite Smyrna in the playoff game at R'dale when the 'Dale' beat them even worse. It was so bad that the coaches even had to go on the field between the teams to keep a fight from breaking out after the game.

There are players who STILL remember that game on the current team.

I figure with everyone having a bye week 7 that a bunch of threads are gonna get locked before week 8's game between R'dale and Smyrna.

One of the things that is common among state championship teams (Ravenwood, Brentwood, Riverdale, among others in the past few years) is discipline. Only teams with discipline can make it through the playoffs to the final game to have the opportunity to become champs. I was at the game Friday night and the one thing the Dogs were missing was discipline. Showed up in the players talking smack prior to the kickoff and multiple penalties from unsportsmanlike conduct to personal fouls and illegal shifts...from the coaching staff to the field. Smyrna, you have talented athletes but you won't make it as far as your talent would normally carry you without discipline. If you have players that have been suspended, maybe the coach is trying to tell you something.

One of the things that is common among state championship teams (Ravenwood, Brentwood, Riverdale, among others in the past few years) is discipline. Only teams with discipline can make it through the playoffs to the final game to have the opportunity to become champs. I was at the game Friday night and the one thing the Dogs were missing was discipline. Showed up in the players talking smack prior to the kickoff and multiple penalties from unsportsmanlike conduct to personal fouls and illegal shifts...from the coaching staff to the field. Smyrna, you have talented athletes but you won't make it as far as your talent would normally carry you without discipline. If you have players that have been suspended, maybe the coach is trying to tell you something.

Very well said...Smyrna has the "ability" to beat any team in the state, but seem to be missing those intangibles that make a team a champion. A champion goes beyond possessing the trophy...I watched a dejected but classy Oak Ridge team lose in the championship game. They lost but showed the "qualities of a champion". Smyrna has some champions on their side, Sonny Grey comes to mind. But Sonny can only lead by example and hope that some of his teammates "get it". It was pretty obvious from watching Friday that a number of his teammates clearly don't get it. It's a shame to see that talent wasted on guys who would rather talk "junk", throw punches during the game, etc.

Poor game management by the coaching staff at Smyrna. They were out of sync the whole night. I knew the Bulldogs were in trouble in the second quarter when they went from being in the end zone to having 4th and about 45, due to a holding on the TD (albeit a very questionable call on Rod), the 15 yard penalty on the sideline, and two sacks immediately thereafter. Somebody told me before the season that Smyrna has 9-1 or 10-0 talent, but Shad is a 7-3 or 8-2 coach. That was apparent throughout this game. He coached just like he does against Riverdale!!

No doubt that the wind adversely affected the Smyrna offense, but when Maceo is ripping off big runs, why would you pass. Harris is the best weapon they had against Ravenwood, but did Shad utilize him enough..........................AS USUAL........NOPE!!! He could have had 250 yards if the coach gave him the rock more. They have misused that kid's talent for two years now. And another thing, if you have quick backs like Maceo and Antoine and the team you are playing is rushing the passer well, it makes sense to throw a screen pass.

Also, if these rumors are true about Crouch and Shadrake being gone for any extended period of time, Smyrna is just about done. Crouch is really the physical presence in the secondary and plays with a lot of fire (although I have seen him push the limits of what is "legal" out there). Shadrake is their best scrape and fill linebacker by far. If those cats are out for Riverdale, you can just book another one for the Warriors.

Anyways, congrats to the Raptors for hanging around in a game that I really did not think they had any business winning. The Laidlaw kid really ran the ball well late against the Bulldogs. That is the kind of win that will pay dividends going back into 6-AAAAA play.

Poor game management by the coaching staff at Smyrna. They were out of sync the whole night. I knew the Bulldogs were in trouble in the second quarter when they went from being in the end zone to having 4th and about 45, due to a holding on the TD (albeit a very questionable call on Rod), the 15 yard penalty on the sideline, and two sacks immediately thereafter. Somebody told me before the season that Smyrna has 9-1 or 10-0 talent, but Shad is a 7-3 or 8-2 coach. That was apparent throughout this game. He coached just like he does against Riverdale!!

No doubt that the wind adversely affected the Smyrna offense, but when Maceo is ripping off big runs, why would you pass. Harris is the best weapon they had against Ravenwood, but did Shad utilize him enough..........................AS USUAL........NOPE!!! He could have had 250 yards if the coach gave him the rock more. They have misused that kid's talent for two years now. And another thing, if you have quick backs like Maceo and Antoine and the team you are playing is rushing the passer well, it makes sense to throw a screen pass.

Also, if these rumors are true about Crouch and Shadrake being gone for any extended period of time, Smyrna is just about done. Crouch is really the physical presence in the secondary and plays with a lot of fire (although I have seen him push the limits of what is "legal" out there). Shadrake is their best scrape and fill linebacker by far. If those cats are out for Riverdale, you can just book another one for the Warriors.

Anyways, congrats to the Raptors for hanging around in a game that I really did not think they had any business winning. The Laidlaw kid really ran the ball well late against the Bulldogs. That is the kind of win that will pay dividends going back into 6-AAAAA play.

does that mean you are a 10-0 / 9-1 coach?

Smyrna is not a bunch a punks and we were just frustrated. And as for Josh, he was kneeling down and the ravenwood fans came out on the field and they started saying stuff to Josh and he got up and started walking towards them and a coach grab him. He is not a punk. He was just mad. And Reuben threw his FOREARM. he didn't punch.

Whatever!! Josh finally got what was coming to him! He's a poor sport & he's rude to people even on the Smyrna side. Oh what a tangled web we weave....

As for Reuben, he's a class-A player, a team player, and he showed dignity despite the ridiculous accusations made about him in the game. Of course, if you want to see for yourself LOOK AT THE TAPE!!!

actually i think smyrna was defeated in round 3 by hillsboro coached by Coach A. That was the first year of a 4 year streak to the Semi Finals for the Burros

smyrna made it to the semis in 95 and lost to cleveland. i think that was during the time cleveland was on a 40 something game win streak.

Whatever!! Josh finally got what was coming to him! He's a poor sport & he's rude to people even on the Smyrna side. Oh what a tangled web we weave....

As for Reuben, he's a class-A player, a team player, and he showed dignity despite the ridiculous accusations made about him in the game. Of course, if you want to see for yourself LOOK AT THE TAPE!!!

he got what he deserved?? if the same inccodent would have happened to 5 or 2 then it would all b swept under the rug!

but josh bleeds nothing but purple and gold, and he has become a man and wrote the team an apology and coach shad! not to mention gave one at practice today, the kid has grown up and he knows whats right and whats wrong and completly apologized for all of that today at school to everyone who approached him, but to say he is a bad kid is steaching the mind, this is his first blimish on his record and everyone makes mistakes,

while i was watching the game friday, i saw reubens call, totally uncalled for, he shouldnt have been ejected from the game! he played hard and a call went the wrong was as did the one with rod holding call. the refs had a HORRIBLE game and it was the same crew at wc, the one that kept callin sonny for motion on the qb??? u have got to b kidding me, but about reuben he is a class act, i agree with you, but from what players told me, who was the one to get him back on the field during half time and calm him down???17 and when 10 was benched and no1 wanted to hear his excuses i believe 31 and 17 told him he would play and play a key roll in the game, which he did, so its unfortunate to the team that this happened but i see BOTH of them back in the near future!~

he got what he deserved?? if the same inccodent would have happened to 5 or 2 then it would all b swept under the rug!

but josh bleeds nothing but purple and gold, and he has become a man and wrote the team an apology and coach shad! not to mention gave one at practice today, the kid has grown up and he knows whats right and whats wrong and completly apologized for all of that today at school to everyone who approached him, but to say he is a bad kid is steaching the mind, this is his first blimish on his record and everyone makes mistakes,

while i was watching the game friday, i saw reubens call, totally uncalled for, he shouldnt have been ejected from the game! he played hard and a call went the wrong was as did the one with rod holding call. the refs had a HORRIBLE game and it was the same crew at wc, the one that kept callin sonny for motion on the qb??? u have got to b kidding me, but about reuben he is a class act, i agree with you, but from what players told me, who was the one to get him back on the field during half time and calm him down???17 and when 10 was benched and no1 wanted to hear his excuses i believe 31 and 17 told him he would play and play a key roll in the game, which he did, so its unfortunate to the team that this happened but i see BOTH of them back in the near future!~

So you are saying that #17 was kicked off, but b/c he wrote an apology to the team and coach, he is back on?? He is a senior. Shouldn't be already know right from wrong? What bothers me about this whole thing is when Youree got kicked off Oakland 's team in early spring......#17 had a LOT of bad things to say about Sam and what should happen to him on more than one thread. Then when Sam went to SHS, he all the sudden praised Sam?? He saw what Sam lost FIRSTHAND...as did the whole Smyrna team. So how could #17 possibly chance losing HIS sr season? I think how Shad handles this one can make or break the discipline at Smyrna.

PS.........I have heard from multiple sources what a humble and class act Gray#2 is. Don't know a thing about #5 tho.