Lewis Co. vs. Houston Co.

THECHB

In 1980, we were 30-91 passing for 457 yards with 11 interceptions.

In 1979, we threw the ball 136 times and completed 55 for 763 yards. As someone mentioned earlier, the differance being that in 1979, we had talnet that was more suited to mix it up with the inimitable Benny Lay at quarterback.

In 1995, we were 48-93 passing for 1136 yards. 16 TD's and just 4 interceptions. The tight end caught 20 passes, ten for scores and averaged 31 yards a catch. Again, we were much more suited to throw the ball that year.

Glad to answer the quizzes, I just so happened to have 42 years of stat books lying in the den where I am about to undertake the once again daunting task of getting everything up to snuff and putting them on my own computer.

Here are a few more years of interest...

1981, regarded by some as the best of the three straight undefeated teams, (I not being one of them)... 26-74 passing, 456 yards.

1985... 245 pass attempts, 119 completions. This was at a time when we had little rushing game and lived and died by the forward pass. It was some pretty innovative stuff for the time.. overall record 5-6

1988... Coach Sharp's first year and before the wing-t offense. Just showed that he could air it out as well. 152 passes, 72 completed... 1032 yards, 13 interceptions...overall record 3-7

Final year... 2002: I failed to discuss this one earlier but this was a season when we certainly had a great chance to win it all. We were 48 of 82 passing which again translates into around 6-7 attempts per game. We had the most underrated fullback in the history of our wing-t, Ellis Dailey, a strong performance by David Sharp. good wings in Skelton and McKnight and a fine defense. We had McKenzie down 13-7 with about 2 minutes remaining and 90 yards from paydirt. They drove down and converted about 3 fourth downs, we dropped an interception... they scored and then we get a safety on the ensuing kickoff. Mckenzie lost to Mitchell the next week in Memphis. Mitchell was very average.

So what does all this mean? Not much I guess, just how ever one decides to use the numbers to support their side of the debate. Yes, I would like to see us more balanced year in and year out but sometimes you have to utilize the talent to the best of your ability. I remember watching Bear Bryant after he went to the wishbone and they rarely threw the ball but won a national title or two along the way.

I actually think Coach Sharp and the staff would like to throw some more but when the rushing game is working the way it has, you don't want to get off kilter, in my humble opinion.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1988... Coach Sharp's first year and before the wing-t offense. Just showed that he could air it out as well. 152 passes, 72 completed... 1032 yards, 13 interceptions...overall record 3-7

Hey, I had one of those ints. (toot my own horn) I remember that game. I also had an 81 yard td. (Still tooting) That was LCHS homecoming. The LC qb told me during warmups he was going to make me look stupid. I cant remember his name, but he did burn my butt once. Stop and go. Made GreenMan very angry. :unsure: I let him know who got burned after the int. :unsure:

That was good game.

Well to be honest about the whole situation, I would be happy to be a warmup for some NCAA schools. I think some jealousy has stricken some of the Tigers. I think they might just have a pretty good team. But, when you mock our program so much, it doesn't say a whole lot about the teams that lose to Lewis County. Also, you will lose to Lewis County, in my mind there will be no question about that. Coach Sharp will push the team to get better wvery week< And he will settle for no less than perfection come week ten. I think you are just another bunp in the road. By the way how many NFL stars does Waverly house? I would say the same as any team in our region.

:thumb: Just keep the fire fueling

Actually we had one. Doug Baird played offensive line for the University of Tennessee in the 80s and was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings and then blew his knee out in preseason and never played again. Thank you for reminding me.

also, he didn't play pro, but Austin Bates was recruited by University of Georgia for quarterback but opted to play basketball at Vanderbilt. He didn't play pros but who knows if he had of chosen Georgia.

We've had several to get scholarships to Middle Tennessee (not so big), several to UTM like your guys, Austin Peay, Tennessee State in their hey day in the 70s. Tim Gooch in the class of 76 got a scholarship to University of Kentucky.

Edited by papatiger