Lewis Co. vs. Houston Co.

THECHB

Well how many great runnig backs, and All-State players have we had?

I bet you can't count those on your fingers and toes.The thing is, recruiting only comes around with grades and overall "want to" alomg with outstanding ability.We could have had many D1 players, it's just the wanting to do it that has held some of the players back.Also if you look at the overall play of the Panthers this year is remarkable,we could say some of these playes can go as far as they want to go.

Coaching should never be a question with this program. Even though passing should be one of our threats at the end of this season.

Edited by LCHSgrinch

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, How many of our "great athletes" have played college ball over the past 20 years. Can you count them on one hand? We win every year because we have a system that fits the type player that we have year in and year out. By the way, when we have the players to throw, we throw. 6 of the top 10 passers in LC history played for Coach Sharp as well as 5 of the top 10 rec. not to mention 9 of the to 11 rushers

We have had more than 5 go to UT Martin in the last few years to play. We've had others in the past who had interest from big schools but they didn't have the grades just as Grinch mentioned. Most people who play college football are walk-ons and not on scholarship. How many of our players actually try and do this...very very few. You make it sound like we just have a bunch of no good players who only win because of our coach. Sharp is a good coach but will never win state until the offense becomes more balanced. The region is weak so we never get tested until playoff time so then we will see how good we are. Take a look at how Alcoa won their state championship last year. It sure wasn't running 39 times and passing 3 times. When the run gets stopped...we lose...simple as that. Check our playoff history and you will find this to be true. Our great running game makes opposing coaches put 8-9 men up in the box to try and stop the run. Passing lanes should be open for a easy hookup..I am pretty sure we can find somebody to throw the ball to them! Also...a good passing game makes defenses play honest...who knows...we could get more rushing yards on less carries. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

We have had more than 5 go to UT Martin in the last few years to play. We've had others in the past who had interest from big schools but they didn't have the grades just as Grinch mentioned. Most people who play college football are walk-ons and not on scholarship. How many of our players actually try and do this...very very few. You make it sound like we just have a bunch of no good players who only win because of our coach. Sharp is a good coach but will never win state until the offense becomes more balanced. The region is weak so we never get tested until playoff time so then we will see how good we are. Take a look at how Alcoa won their state championship last year. It sure wasn't running 39 times and passing 3 times. When the run gets stopped...we lose...simple as that. Check our playoff history and you will find this to be true. Our great running game makes opposing coaches put 8-9 men up in the box to try and stop the run. Passing lanes should be open for a easy hookup..I am pretty sure we can find somebody to throw the ball to them! Also...a good passing game makes defenses play honest...who knows...we could get more rushing yards on less carries. What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

There have been plenty of teams win without throwing the ball. Take a look at the collegiate level. Nebraska was dominant and had no passing game during the Osbourne Era and even later into the Solich Era (Nebraska should have never fired Solich). I know high school teams have won it without throwing very often. Trousdale Co. comes to mind. Their run in the 90s were run dominant. Marion County in the Early to mid- 90s never threw the ball. My suggestion to you is keep your mouth closed and let the coaches coach. One more example on the NFL level, the Ravens a few years ago took the Super Bowl and they rarely passed. Why must you think that you have to throw to win games? You just enjoy the season you guys are having. Keep giving it to #21, because if we had him we would never throw it either.

One question, why throw it and take the risk of a negative play when you are guaranteed a positive play by handing the ball off to your big fullback?

Edited by Camdenlionpride

Wooo! UT Martin. What a football powerhouse. They've won, what 3 games the last two years combined. don't get me wrong, it's great a kid gets a scholarship to play anywhere but don't make them look fantastic if the talent is not there. You have a great coach that knows how to win and he adjusts it to his players. Why complain?

I'm not by any means running down the LC players. LCHS has always had great kids who would knock your head off. They are a bunch of blue collered men who achieve at the highest level of their ability year in and year out by working their tails off. The fact is that we just don't have a lot of kids who can play DI. Although we do have several that could walk on and play a smaller schools if they had the desire.

In the history of LC football name 5 players that played DI (walk on or scholarship), you can't because it hasn't happened. I don't mention this to run down our players, I mention it as a testament of how hard our kids work to be successful. We have defeated many teams who had the prospects. On a down year we are competitive and on an up year we make a run. As far as throwing the ball, when we can we do. 5 of the top 8 passing teams in the history of LC football has been during coach Sharp's tenure.

I'm glad that you think we have the same athletes as Alcoa with your comparison. We don't, but I would not trade ours for theirs! That's no disrespect to them.

We get this every single year. The reason we haven't won a state chanpionship is because we have lost to teams who were better than us later in the year. We lost to Huntingdon in 2003 by four touchdowns. Is it because we couldn't throw the ball? We threw 120 passes during the season and completed almost 50%. Against Huntigdon we were 3-14 with 2 interceptions. It's obviously not because we couldn't throw, we had thrown well all year. It was because we were playing against a supremely talented team that was better than we were.

If we are fortunate enough to go 12-0 this year, we are going to most likely face Goodpasture. If you beat them, you would play Alcoa. These are two teams that are loaded with talent at every position. If we were to lose to them, would it be because we couldn't pass? LOL Only the lesseer informed would ever make that assumption. And that's no disrepsect towards Camden because they will stand in the way of us making it to 12-0, just a comparison thingy...

We win because we have kids who are of less talent but of great desire and heart. Look at Dakota Crews for example. He's about 5'8 and 180 pounds and is a starting middle linebacker. What he lacks in size and talent, he more than makes up for with heart. He runs about a 4.9 forty yet leads the team in tackles. For years and years, Lewis County has had that type of athlete. Linemen who are built like fireplugs and backs who run 4.8 fortys...

Count me as one who is proud of our atletes and the offense that has made us one of the most successful programs in the state since 1979!

If Dan Marino's kid ever shows up in Lewis County, we will probably start throwing the ball 20 times a game, until then, I'll take 9 backs averaging over 6 yards a carry.

My education must be a little off..so 8 out of 10 baby boys born in Alcoa are destined to be great football players where LC is more like 5 out of 10. Must be the Oak Ridge radioactivity! There is no right or wrong in this discussion...just opinions. I really don't mean to sound like a Sharp basher. A lot of teams in the state would be lucky to have him...I personally think we could be better with a more balanced offense. Also..I work with about 10 former Trousdale County players... they have won their 6 state championships by using a balanced offense! Coach Satterfield is considered one of the best coaches in the state. They beat the 3a state champion Livingston Academy last year. I guarentee you Livingston had more talent on their team. They were outcoached. I stand by my statement that we could have had a state championship.

I stand by my statement that we could have had a state championship.

I think we could have won a state championship... maybe in 1995? Definitely in 1979 and 1980. But only one can hoist the gold ball. The 1979 and 1980 team is probably long forgotten by most fans around here, especially those who are young. But I've seen them all since 1966 and that is two teams that could have won it all.

Although we might disagree on things, I prefer this topic more than one which would have us discussing an 0-10 or 1-9 record. Agree?

I would agree with that....but is it wrong to want more. Winning the region almost every year is great. I love going to work and talking about my Panthers. The problem is....I work with people who played for Trousdale County, Riverdale, Oakland, Portland, etc. They all have state championships and I get a little frustrated because I feel we have been good enough to have at least one. Winning the region just doesn't satisfy me anymore. I am not quite old enough to remember any teams older than 20 years ago but I do remember the 95 team. Got beat in the playoffs that year by I believe Goodpasture. I think we lost by 3. Goodpasture went on to blow out Lipscomb and then beat Meigs Co pretty bad. Get rid of the private schools and that was our year. I also remember we had a great passing game that year. Our pass was just as good as the rush that year.

I guess I was wrong... take away the private schools and Sharp could have won state in '95. They really need to move them all to their own division. Look at the top ranked teams in 2a. (Goodpasture, Tyner Academy, CPA) When Trousdale Co moved up in class they skipped 2a because of this very reason. Hard to compete with private schools who recruit and give scholarships!

Edited by LC_PANTHER_FAN