McEwen Vs. Eagleville

Orangefanallday

Last year McEwen struggled all year with offence,Defence did a decent but gave up alot of big runs.Last year mcewen took the long drive and played awful fumbling every time they got a drive going.Eaglevilles coach left his starter in the hole game even against our subs to try and run the score even higher know its payback. Eagleville blanks McEwen

By JARED HASTINGS

DNJ Correspondent

EAGLEVILLE — Passing, running and tackling: they’re three of the fundamentals of football. The Eagleville Eagles put a premium on all three Friday night, dismantling McEwen 26-0 at Talon Field.

The Eagles (3-3, 2-1 in region 5-1A) outgained the Warriors (3-3, 2-2) 469 to 101 in a dominating defensive performance.

“I knew that while McEwen isn’t the biggest or fastest team out there, one thing they will do is get after you,” said Eagleville head coach Jason Scharsch. “So I challenged these guys to come out and play up to their abilities for four quarters, and they did that tonight.”

Eagleville took the opening kickoff and marched 62 yards before tailback Charles Steagall’s 10-yard touchdown run was called back for holding. But the Eagles regrouped and on third-and-20 from the McEwen 24, Ricky Brooksher hit Ricardo Foster in the back of the end zone for a 7-0 lead and all the points the Eagles would need.

That was the cue for Jo Jo Vestal, Aaron Fisher and the rest of the Eagle defense to take over. Vestal recovered Warrior fumbles on back-to-back drives, the first leading to a 19-yard Steagall touchdown run.

“That’s what you want,” Vestal said. “On defense you want to go make the play, and then have the offense make them pay. I was just seeing stuff tonight. Reading and making plays.”

While Vestal was making noise on his side of the line of scrimmage, Brown was a terror in the McEwen backfield, sacking Warrior quarterback Jordan Stokes three times for a loss of 18 yards. The consistent pressure forced Stokes into a mere 51 yards passing on four of 13 passing.

Coming out of the locker room with a 14-0 lead, the Eagles couldn’t mount much offensively in the third quarter, and after turning the ball over on downs, gave the Warriors good field position at the McEwen 40. McEwen would get as close as the 15, but Stokes fourth-down pass off of a double-reverse flea flicker was tipped away by Derek Powell in the corner of the end zone to give the ball back to Eagleville.

Three plays later Steagall broke around right end for a 70-yard touchdown run to seal the victory finishing with 140 yards on 10 carries and two touchdowns.

“That was my O-line playing great,” Steagall said. “We had some penalties and some runs get called back, but you have to bounce back. You can’t get mad at them for getting one called back when they spring me on so many more.”

Not to be outdone, his backfield mate, Brooksher passed for 89 yards on the Eagles’ final two drives including three passes to wide receiver Terry Poteete for 54 yards and a touchdown. Brooksher had an efficient, if not remarkable night, finishing 15 for 20 for 261 yards and two touchdowns. Poteete ended with 74 yards on four catches (all in the second half), while Steagall and tight end Jeremy Moore combined for another 101 yards on six catches.“We’ve got guys that can make plays,” Scharsch said. “We just haven’t competely shown it. But tonight was a step in the right direction.”

Edited by russel187

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gees. Russel187... Your spelling is great..

First of all, after looking at Eagleville's schedule.. one can understand why the starters were in... A week previous the eagles played against a mediocre moore county team and played like crap and got their butts handed to them. After the mcewen game they had cascade... after a dismal performance against moore co., im sure the starters were slated to play the entire game SIMPLY to get better... im sure there was nothing against mcewen.. Second of all, Is a game that is 14-0 truly out of hand in order to sub.. NO... Maybe mcewen believes a two touchdown lead is sufficient... Regardless... last year is last year... this is this year...

Eagleville wins... Mcewen cries for another year...

Eagleille has great talent and great coaching but for some reason they have yet to play their A game. Every game that I have seen, as a team they just don't seem to be focused. Come on guys quit playing down to your competion, region 5 is much to tough for that. You can not always win on talent alone. If any of the seniors read this, I challenge you to really get your team prepared this week because playing McEwen will be no walk in the park, they will definitely play tough defense. Last year we played up and down ball til the Moore Co. game and we got clobbered but after that we was a much better team, do the same this year. If you play your A game it will be no contest but if not, you could have another loss on your hand. Be disciplined and play your A game. GO EAGLES

Yup, McEwen appears to be improved since last year, but I feel confident we'll take this one. I don't think it'll be a shutout like last year -

27-14 Eagleville

eagleville is a strange team. they beat a team by a score like the one above. then they play a team that beat the team they just played by 50 points. one would guess that the next team would beat them rather badly but eagleville beats them by 2 or 3 touchdowns anyway. i have learned that you can't go by scores to predict games with this team.