Running back rushes for 658 yards

Solomon

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A running back in WV ran for a national record of 658 yards last night. I don't care the level or classification of the game, that is impressive. Also fitting he is from WV and his name is McCoy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2608373

McCoy is a very good tailback, no doubt about it. But WV is reviewing him, because he may be ineligable. Those are two SMALL schools. Matewan has about 170 and Burch dosen't have many more. Some of those schools have alot of tradition. But, I don't think he could do that anywhere else in the nation, because Southern WV, Southwestern VA, and Eastern KY have ALOT of teams that couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie.

Because some teams believe it is the defenses job to stop their offense, not their job to stop the their offense, a school of 170 probably doesn't have a ton of depth, I doubt all the starters played the whole game, maybe just him.

Man that guy had 10 touchdowns, thats 60 points and if they got every PAT thats 70. I think its safe to say they could have let somebody else run the ball.

McCoy is a very good tailback, no doubt about it. But WV is reviewing him, because he may be ineligable. Those are two SMALL schools. Matewan has about 170 and Burch dosen't have many more. Some of those schools have alot of tradition. But, I don't think he could do that anywhere else in the nation, because Southern WV, Southwestern VA, and Eastern KY have ALOT of teams that couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie.

First of all, McCoy isn't the one being investigated for being ineligible, it is a team mate, Epling, who moved back to West Virginia when his mother, a federal drug informant, was killed. He played the first 3 games in which Matewan won and now they may have to forfiet the games because the WVSSAC is saying the Epling kid was ineligibile. They are appealing it with the WVSSAC.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...230374/1024/SPT

I can remember a young man from a small southern West Virginia high school, who I watched play many times. A lot of people said he was a AAA player playing in a Single A school and stuff like that. WVU came to talk to him and told him he needed to come and play for them because he wasn't good enough to play for any of the other D1 schools that were scouting him and he would end up setting most of his college career on the bench. That ticked him off so he went to play for Penn State, where he was eventually a first round NFL draft pick. You may have heard of him, his name was Curt Warner. He rushed for over 1400 yds his rookie year and played a total of only 100 games in the NFL and is still one of the top 50 running backs of all time(yardage wise). Curt could have really been one of the great ones if an injury hadn't cut his career short.

Curt really put up some impressive high school numbers too, but nothing close to this kid. So don't sell those kids short up there. McCoy has 1,723 rushing yards on 133 carries and 26 touchdowns(He has also had 3 touch downs called back of 80+yds due to penalties.) this season(in ONLY 5 Games). He’s averaging 345 yards per game, Earlier this season, McCoy carried 33 times for 537 yards and six touchdowns in a 48-43 come-back win over Shelby Valley, Ky. You gotta admit, that is impressive!

What's sad is this performance isn't a record for TD's or yards. Reading more in the article is says the yardage record is 739 by a guy from a school that isn't in exsitence anymore in New Jersey and the TD record is 12 by another fella from Colorado.

That's all good and fine that the kid can do that, but we know nothing about the strength of the opponent. Records in high school are flaky.

In 1989, Rutledge set the national record for homeruns in a game with 13 but it was at Claiborne Co. at the old field that has a very short porch. Later that season some other team broke it, probably under simillar conditions.

In 1998, Rutledge unknowingly had an opportunity to break some state offensive records against Claiborne Co. I think the total offense record is 720 or 730 somewhere in that range and the rushing record is in the 620-650 range. Rutledge pulled their starters after the first series in the third leading 48-13 in a 67-33 rout of the former Blue Devils. They rushed for 525 and had 636 yards of total offense. Had a sophomore running back return a kickoff 85 yards for a score and I even think they had a turnover on the first possession of the secord half where they were driving...

Sad thing is, CC led 7-6 at one point.

So as a rule, most HS records and some collegiate records are flaky. Houston QB's and their passing records against Eastern Washington and the post-Death Penalty SMU teams are examples.

Edited by KevB1990